APC40 decided to go into retirement to make room for...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
$4mU3l

APC40 decided to go into retirement to make room for...

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:29 am

the young & wild:

Novation Launchpad vs. Akai APC40

Funny to see the bulky & expensive APC alongside the small & low priced Launchpad doing pretty much the same + a lot more triggerpads. :D
Last edited by $4mU3l on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willyum

Re: APC40 decided to go into retirement to make room for...

Post by Willyum » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:49 am

reflective7511 wrote:doing pretty much the same + a lot more triggerpads. :D
yea, but the apc is controlling all that at once without switching presets. I feel your enthusiasm, and I may get a Launchpad also, but not as a replacement (maybe as extension or for a portable only solution.)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:54 am

+1 to Willyum

That would close some debate about "f#!k apc40 vs holy launchpad" :lol:
Those two usb controlers are complementary and I only imagine people using both with joy.

Thanks for the vid

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Willyum wrote:yea, but the apc is controlling all that at once without switching presets...
Pushing the right-hand mixer-, pan- or sendbutton isn't a big deal... :roll:
Hermanus wrote:...Those two usb controlers are complementary and I only imagine people using both with joy...
Holy crap! I don't want to buy a moving truck whilst traveling cross-country. :wink:

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 pm

:lol: yes indeed

Let say apc @ home and Launchpad for gigs

another cool launchpad vid there> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMg7I08DiU0&NR=1

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:31 pm

reflective7511 wrote:the young & wild:

Novation Launchpad vs. Akai APC40

Funny to see the bulky & expensive APC alongside the small & pricey Launchpad doing pretty much the same + a lot more triggerpads. :D

So let me get this straight here... The APC40 is "expensive" but the Launchpad is just "pricey" ? And how many more buttons does the Launchpad have?

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:37 pm

It's funny how anti launch pad some of my friends are. Of course they are hardcore into the APC and just all out bash the LP every chance they get. I'm getting an LP because its the least intrusive addition to my current set up.

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:33 pm

deepdirtydub wrote:So let me get this straight here... The APC40 is "expensive" but the Launchpad is just "pricey"?
Sorry for the mistyped "pricey"... I intended "low priced".
deepdirtydub wrote:And how many more buttons does the Launchpad have?
This is more mathematics rather than grammar and I hope to do this task without mistakes:
APC:5x8=40; LP:8x8=64; According to this arithmetic Launchpad has got 24 triggerpads more than the APC. 8O

citizenchris099 wrote:It's funny how anti launch pad some of my friends are. Of course they are hardcore into the APC and just all out bash the LP every chance they get. I'm getting an LP because its the least intrusive addition to my current set up.
I totally understand your friends...I would bash the LP also if I paid almost 500€ for a "fatty" and missed the 30-day money-back guarantee...It's all about justification. :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:01 pm

dumb thread. did you watch the video FFS? it shows how well they work together. :roll:

as for the price, get a f-ing job, goddamn whiny kids. APC came out of Xmas money, LP was a b-day present. or I would just buy them. shit, next comes max4live, guess I'm keeping the job. dunno if I'll get into the Serato thing.

you're actually whining that there are too many custom controllers for Live? stfu gtfo we've been wanting this for years.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Tone Deft wrote:dumb thread. did you watch the video FFS? it shows how well they work together. :roll:

as for the price, get a f-ing job, goddamn whiny kids. APC came out of Xmas money, LP was a b-day present. or I would just buy them. shit, next comes max4live, guess I'm keeping the job. dunno if I'll get into the Serato thing.

you're actually whining that there are too many custom controllers for Live? stfu gtfo we've been wanting this for years.
haha holy shit, bravo ! :mrgreen:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:It's funny how anti launch pad some of my friends are
I just think this comment is hilarious. I wasn't aware that there was a full-on Live controller war.

In reality, i think most APC40 users are content enough to either not get worked up over the Launch Pad, or actually EMBRACE it as a great companion to their APC40. (i include myself in the latter)

As opposed to the band of new Launch Pad fanboys who won't STFU trying to justify WHY they prefer the LP to the APC.

Complex much? :lol:

exper

Post by exper » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:50 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:It's funny how anti launch pad some of my friends are
I just think this comment is hilarious. I wasn't aware that there was a full-on Live controller war.

In reality, i think most APC40 users are content enough to either not get worked up over the Launch Pad, or actually EMBRACE it as a great companion to their APC40. (i include myself in the latter)

As opposed to the band of new Launch Pad fanboys who won't STFU trying to justify WHY they prefer the LP to the APC.

Complex much? :lol:
Right, and this is before anyone has owned an LP yet. Just wait until they try and "mix" by pushing a grid of buttons. I bet automation of track volume in 8 steps will sound just great! I love my apc and will never trade it for an LP. That said, I may get an LP for monome emulation and for an additional trigger surface now that I see they can control the same section of clips. That could be alot of fun for jamming with others or live sets.
And for those wanting the LP, I'm betting that they will all be buying korg nanocontrols or novation nocturns within a few months. Now wer're getting closer to $300, and you can find deals on APC for close to that... I paid $310 for my apc40 brand new tax included...

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Tone Deft wrote:dumb thread. did you watch the video FFS? it shows how well they work together. :roll:

Work together häähh? :roll: Yes, the one does what the other does or is it the other way around?

Sorry for weeping but I already got my Machinedrum at b-day and my VirusTI from Easter bunny so I fear Santa will place only a LP under the christmas tree. :cry:

exper wrote:And for those wanting the LP, I'm betting that they will all be buying korg nanocontrols or novation nocturns within a few months. Now wer're getting closer to $300, and you can find deals on APC for close to that... I paid $310 for my apc40 brand new tax included...
You win the bet because I already got NOCTURN at saint's day! How could you know that? And I tried as hard as I could but even the APC that my dealer would sell me for $310 doesn't fit into my UDG Producer Bag... 8O Maybe I should wait until the price drops below $200. :roll: Got me? It's not all about the price... To big to bulky to chiseled...

charles_2

Post by charles_2 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:30 pm

+1000

This APC vs Launchpad stuff is really juvenile. Maybe you should spend your time and energy making music instead of trying to create pointless feuds.
http://www.authenticfilms.com

Config: MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600M GT, OS 10.5.6
Live 8.1b6, Max4Live 5.1.0a1 (40387)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:02 pm

exper wrote:Just wait until they try and "mix" by pushing a grid of buttons. I bet automation of track volume in 8 steps will sound just great!
Surprising this type of argument still keeps popping up. The point of the Launchpad is for those who already have controllers that have knobs. A Nocturn or nanoKontrol can do a lot more than the APC40 without cumbersome hacks as far as what you can do with knobs. And together with launchpad, the combination is still more portable, cheaper, and doesn't require an additional power adapter.

The only people I see getting worked up over the Launchpad in this forum are those who already invested in the APC40 and thus need to justify their purchase. Just be satisfied with what you have if it works for you. And no, not everyone wants to buy both or have room for both. It's not about collecting controllers. It's using what works for you. It's great that there are lots of options now. Novation was smart in realizing that people would want to mix and match between the different choices of controllers for a more modular approach to customizing their setup. I'm not knocking the APC40 though I never wanted one because it's too bulky for my taste. But I'm sure it's great for some people, especially newbies who might not want to deal with more than one controller.