Does SoundCloud REcompress your uploads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Does SoundCloud REcompress your uploads?

Post by Anubis » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:45 pm

And further degrade the audio quality? I always upload mp3 @ 192 KHz but I've inadvertently left the "convert to 128" checked off by default. I thought that the 128 KHz version was only used for their supposed fabulous podcasts and other promotional "benefits" but I think that this lower-fi version is the one that is streamed from my public profile instead of the version that I painstakingly created? Does anybody know? I've uploaded the exact same files to my SYM account and I think there is a noticeable difference in fidelity.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Imaulle

Re: Does SoundCloud REcompress your uploads?

Post by Imaulle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 pm

ive ripped stuff from soundcloud before and its always 128 kbps. so I think they do, at least for the players.. if you let people download I assume its whatever you uploaded...

or maybe the the stuff I rip is 128 on purpose from the assholes who don't want their stuff ripped, lol

mkelly

Re: Does SoundCloud REcompress your uploads?

Post by mkelly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm

If I recall correctly, your upload is re-encoded to 128kbps for use in their players, but when you allow people to download your tracks they will get the original.

So if you upload MP3s, your already compressed track will get extracted to wav (or equivalent) and then re-encoded (and hence recompressed). If you want best playback quality then upload lossless in the first place.

Ideally, they would allow us to upload lossless for them to re-encode, but also allow us to upload a pre-compressed track for downloads.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1