What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
citizenchris099

Re: What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 pm

davepermen wrote:
i think we might have to look at early djs more for the other electronic influence. the place electronic music is nowadays is based a lot on how djs started to use and mix that kind of music.

i'm a big fan of africa islam f.e., he's amazing to listen to.

do a little research on early techno dj's Like Juan Atkins or Derrick May you will see Kraftwerk brought time and time again in interviews. Techno not ur thing...how about early hip hop. Ever hear of Afrika Bambaataa and a little song called Planet Rock?

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 pm

to me it sounds like what's really bothering some of these kids is that they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that todays music is basicly shit compared to the music of yesteryear and that's not some old fogey talk either, alot of the smarter kids are finding this out and searching out this music. there was a time when saying the old stuff was better just meant that you were some parent or other that's out of touch and can't hear what your kids could hear but that is no longer the case.

since the underground and mainstreams major shift to software the music has been super shitty at best, and of course there are exceptions but on a whole it's been terrible. None of this should suprise anyone since it's not rocket science, electronic musicians used to play electronic music and now all we do is program electronic music why in hell would anybody in their right mind think that the music of today should be better hahahhah!

it even seems like the majority of software developers know more than their customer base because the majority of software developement has gone in the direction of emulation, trying to emulate this or that from the past
and theres no need for me to jot down a list for you cause you know them all already, that's why cats like jeremy ellis, dorian concept and elliot are going in a different direction than the mass of crap artist out there cause even really young kids are starting to see and hear things differently.
I really think it has to do with the advent of music blogs and all these kids downloading all this music that sounds like shit they could never in a million years hear from their favorite fab flavor of the month electronic
music artist and they are starting to draw distinctions.

none of the music coming out today is memorable none of it (bar exceptions)
alot of these ducks are just letting follow actions and random generators write songs for them WTF just sit down and write a damn song for petes sake

here's a little test write a song and if the non-glitched non-distorted version of your song doesn't sound as good as the same song glitched and distorted to all eternity then you know the song is really crap.

I want to start seeing some beatbattles and remix contest where using efx is against the rules, lets hear some electronic musicians unplugged and hear what's really goin on,, todays artist couldn't even fuck with duran duran when it comes to writing music and you got the nerve to think you could fuck with kraftwerk............fucoutta here.......

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:45 pm

^^^ my kind of language and to some of it i even agree.
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
davepermen wrote:
i think we might have to look at early djs more for the other electronic influence. the place electronic music is nowadays is based a lot on how djs started to use and mix that kind of music.

i'm a big fan of africa islam f.e., he's amazing to listen to.

do a little research on early techno dj's Like Juan Atkins or Derrick May you will see Kraftwerk brought time and time again in interviews. Techno not ur thing...how about early hip hop. Ever hear of Afrika Bambaataa and a little song called Planet Rock?
i'm more into techno myself but yeah i know afrika bambaataa (and the resulting afrika islam and dj westbam(baata) :))

but i have to research juan atkins and derrick may. i know juan a bit, but derrick, haven't heard of him. nice to know new stuff to google up :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 pm

starving student wrote:to me it sounds like what's really bothering some of these kids is that they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that todays music is basicly shit compared to the music of yesteryear and that's not some old fogey talk either, alot of the smarter kids are finding this out and searching out this music. there was a time when saying the old stuff was better just meant that you were some parent or other that's out of touch and can't hear what your kids could hear but that is no longer the case.

since the underground and mainstreams major shift to software the music has been super shitty at best, and of course there are exceptions but on a whole it's been terrible. None of this should suprise anyone since it's not rocket science, electronic musicians used to play electronic music and now all we do is program electronic music why in hell would anybody in their right mind think that the music of today should be better hahahhah!

it even seems like the majority of software developers know more than their customer base because the majority of software developement has gone in the direction of emulation, trying to emulate this or that from the past
and theres no need for me to jot down a list for you cause you know them all already, that's why cats like jeremy ellis, dorian concept and elliot are going in a different direction than the mass of crap artist out there cause even really young kids are starting to see and hear things differently.
I really think it has to do with the advent of music blogs and all these kids downloading all this music that sounds like shit they could never in a million years hear from their favorite fab flavor of the month electronic

alot of these ducks are just letting follow actions and random generators write songs for them WTF just sit down and write a damn song for petes sake

here's a little test write a song and if the non-glitched non-distorted version of your song doesn't sound as good as the same song glitched and distorted to all eternity then you know the song is really crap.

I want to start seeing some beatbattles and remix contest where using efx is against the rules, lets hear some electronic musicians unplugged and hear what's really goin on,, todays artist couldn't even fuck with duran duran when it comes to writing music and you got the nerve to think you could fuck with kraftwerk............fucoutta here.......

quite fun as i listened to my track today in 'raw', and except for the hihat, it sounded fine (less crips, more dull, but so far, still fine, the groove i like about it was still there). the hihat was much too loud as i dumped it down using the effects.

fully agree with your post btw, that's why i 'only' have ableton, and try to squeeze every bit i can out of operator, which i fell in love with. it's not much, but more than enough to suite any needs actually. i create my drums with it, all my melodies, and it's awesome to do so. very rewarding, much more than using the latest and greatest tools around (okay, ableton is one of the latest and greatest) to just rock with presets.

and i honour kraftwerk espencially for coming up with so much that is nowadays just a given. the repeating monotone vocals f.e... they did them live, manually, by trying to sound monotone. nowadays we just loop something up, done.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 pm

I would also like to hear what unplugged electronic musicians sound like

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
pulsoc wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:Am I the only one here who thinks kraftewerk is utter shit? yeah maybe they were a head of their time or some other shit like that but they suck, its not even bare-able to listen to.
I feel the same way, but am ashamed to admit due to the ridicule from all the fanbois.
You don't have to like the music to appreciate their influence. I'm not a fan of the Ramones, but if I played punk I certainly wouldn't call the Ramones music utter shit.

Anytime you use break beats and other more organic funk/rock elements in electronic music, you're just doing something Kraftwerk did 35 years ago.
Kraftwork used breakbeats? In what tunes?

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 pm

ThrowAway wrote:I would also like to hear what unplugged electronic musicians sound like
it was a medaphor just like 'stay away from mtv'

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm

starving student wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:I would also like to hear what unplugged electronic musicians sound like
it was a medaphor just like 'stay away from mtv'
what has mtv to do in a music forum?

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:15 pm

davepermen wrote:
what has mtv to do in a music forum?
Not much unless the thread title is "tits, ass, jizz or dick"

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:15 pm

davepermen wrote:
starving student wrote:to me it sounds like what's really bothering some of these kids is that they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that todays music is basicly shit compared to the music of yesteryear and that's not some old fogey talk either, alot of the smarter kids are finding this out and searching out this music. there was a time when saying the old stuff was better just meant that you were some parent or other that's out of touch and can't hear what your kids could hear but that is no longer the case.

quite fun as i listened to my track today in 'raw', and except for the hihat, it sounded fine (less crips, more dull, but so far, still fine, the groove i like about it was still there). the hihat was much too loud as i dumped it down using the effects.

fully agree with your post btw, that's why i 'only' have ableton, and try to squeeze every bit i can out of operator, which i fell in love with. it's not much, but more than enough to suite any needs actually. i create my drums with it, all my melodies, and it's awesome to do so. very rewarding, much more than using the latest and greatest tools around (okay, ableton is one of the latest and greatest) to just rock with presets.

and i honour kraftwerk espencially for coming up with so much that is nowadays just a given. the repeating monotone vocals f.e... they did them live, manually, by trying to sound monotone. nowadays we just loop something up, done.
and I'm guilty of just looping up some shit too but damn I still know the difference, lets not fool ourselves. we should only be so blessed to experience another group as influential as kraftwerk in the next 20 years and that's across the board no matter what kind of music you like.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Please define Influential and what terms you guys are using to call kraftwerk one of the most influential bands of the century.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:22 pm

wtf...'for the times they are a changin' ...peoples... get over it ...
there's some great music coming out ALL THE TIME..
keep your ears open..there are some very very very fine acts around..
in fact ... some of today's act's would be impossible to conceive in those days...(both technologically and socialy)
as for song writing... what can I say...the verse/chorus thing kinda still works...
you can always try different scales..
I'll tell you one thing...
now is waaaay better time to be at than the 80's...
and about the EXEPTIONS ?! are you kidding..? there have been many many great acts before and since Kraftwerk(respect 8) )...
bah...I'm all for people not 'knowing' other peoples music...
imagine a place where music isn't labeled...
that must be heaven...

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Why do you want to turn back the clock. Some of todays music is all about effects, and that is whats new about this day and age. It is also an art that can be perfected, and just as valid as any other art. I find it even more inspiring to work on music like on a sculpture, and the effects are your chizzle.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Grappadura wrote:

Why do you want to turn back the clock. Some of todays music is all about effects, and that is whats new about this day and age. It is also an art that can be perfected, and just as valid as any other art. I find it even more inspiring to work on music like on a sculpture, and the effects are your chizzle.
not what I'm saying at all, I use effects as well, my point was otherwise
I'm sure you're not equating learning how to play an instrument with turning back the clock, and I'm sure you're not equating letting computers write the songs for you with turning back the clock.