youtube: am I crazy or is this guy pretty good?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Johnisfaster

Re: youtube: am I crazy or is this guy pretty good?

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:17 pm

friend_kami wrote:just about 400 times faster and more interesting then this video.
The problem with people that are into extreme music is that they forget that music can be good without being extreme. I used to be one of those people once upon a time. Now I just like good music
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
friend_kami wrote:just about 400 times faster and more interesting then this video.
The problem with people that are into extreme music is that they forget that music can be good without being extreme. I used to be one of those people once upon a time. Now I just like good music

nono. i get that. however a boring performance is always a boring performance.
watching someone turning a knob a little now and then, and possibly pressing a button or two is like watching paint dry.

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 am

friend_kami wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:

nono. i get that. however a boring performance is always a boring performance.
watching someone turning a knob a little now and then, and possibly pressing a button or two is like watching paint dry.
i agree if he is not making shitty music quickly he sucks.... i mean he only did like 3 things in like 10 minutes, and that is not pop and pop rules.....................pop rules

gamesrebel

Post by gamesrebel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:40 am

That guys is pretty good.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 am

dj_huck wrote: i agree if he is not making shitty music quickly he sucks.... i mean he only did like 3 things in like 10 minutes, and that is not pop and pop rules.....................pop rules
it was just boring, thats it.
i cant help it that youre all just a bunch of house retards who thinks that the 4 by 4 was gods blessing on mankind.

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:02 pm

friend_kami wrote: it was just boring, thats it.
i cant help it that youre all just a bunch of house retards who thinks that the 4 by 4 was gods blessing on mankind.
oh that is just wrong. i can handle you calling me a retard. but saying i believe in god that is just fucked up.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 pm

friend_kami wrote:
dj_huck wrote: i agree if he is not making shitty music quickly he sucks.... i mean he only did like 3 things in like 10 minutes, and that is not pop and pop rules.....................pop rules
I don't even like the style man, but you try to use only hardware and make music as good as his. He isn't using automation of any kind and he has to balance the mix during the performance. Not easy.

And I'm really sick of people who like to bitch about 4 on the floor beats. as if "boom shh boom shh boom shh boom shh" is inferior to "boom boom bap ding boom boom bap" both of them take only seconds to program, get over it.

music is a lot more than just "how complicated is it?" and "how entertaining was it to watch?" which is why sometimes 2 chords on a guitar can be really soothing. And yes, even slow dance music with slow knob twists can be pleasant too.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
I don't even like the style man, but you try to use only hardware and make music as good as his. He isn't using automation of any kind and he has to balance the mix during the performance. Not easy.

And I'm really sick of people who like to bitch about 4 on the floor beats. as if "boom shh boom shh boom shh boom shh" is inferior to "boom boom bap ding boom boom bap" both of them take only seconds to program, get over it.

music is a lot more than just "how complicated is it?" and "how entertaining was it to watch?" which is why sometimes 2 chords on a guitar can be really soothing. And yes, even slow dance music with slow knob twists can be pleasant too.
all im saying is that it was not an interesting performance in any way shape or form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRQCmiynYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5TFpDeX ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5ZlWziIeA

those are interesting performances.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:23 pm

How are any of these different to the first video?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:27 pm

the first and last video show my point perfectly. They are using computers, try making music without a computer and you'll reallize it's difficult. Especially if you're not just using one machine but 2 dozen that all can get away from you. But it's not about virtuoso skill it's about a song worth listening to.

Also you should broaden your horizons beyond virtuoso performances and appreciate music not just technical skill.

ernene

Post by ernene » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 pm

friend_kami, if you think tha moving hands fast or making articulated beats is a better performance, you'll never get the point here.
And that's fine!

If you preffer that, well, do it and that's it.

But hey, the point that Johnisfaster was trying to tell you is absolutly right... Maybe I'm 35(start to feel old at this point), but faster is not better at all. If that was boring for you is because you can not understand what that guy is doing in this video, and it sounds good aswell! nevermind if this kind of music is what we like or not...

But we all do not have to understand everything everytime, you're not guilty! it's just a different perception....

I get bored at opera, always... and listening any classical music concert also... I just don't get it... I preffer jazz, but I won't say that the rest is boring or not interesting, it's not my cup of tea and that's it.

Cheers to all.

G

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 pm

m4m is dedicated, and prob has more videos on the internet than all other artist combined but what I'd like to know is didn't he say something about not being able to work....so how does he do all those videos, looks healthy enough to make good music.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:17 am

Johnisfaster wrote:the first and last video show my point perfectly. They are using computers, try making music without a computer and you'll reallize it's difficult. Especially if you're not just using one machine but 2 dozen that all can get away from you. But it's not about virtuoso skill it's about a song worth listening to.

Also you should broaden your horizons beyond virtuoso performances and appreciate music not just technical skill.
oh i appreciate music. i appreciate everything from obscure jazzperformances, darkhouse (yes, that dreaded 4 by 4 i talked about in a previous post), noise, classical, soundart and just about anything that makes a sound.

the thing is, he asked, "is this guy good?" and since he linked to a video showing this guy doing just about nothing; no. hes not good. musicilly he might be God, but nonetheless, that video is boring as fucking shit and even though he got a great deal of hardware, software, and middleware its about as interesting as (again?) watching paint dry.

is this guy a good musician? might be so.
is this guy good with his hardware?
not really.
hes ultraboring and more or less doesnt even touch it, no matter what audio output it makes.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:20 am

Homebelly wrote:
How are any of these different to the first video?
they are different because unlike the first video they actually do something.
granted the jaxson payne video might be not so much interesting, but the technical skill makes up for it, but yeah..
is he good?

musically?
if youre into that sort of music then yeah i guess hes good.
for a video?
no even remotely close.
he turns a knob and he pushes a button.
even a monkey could do that, pre-programmed or not.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 am

ernene wrote:friend_kami, if you think tha moving hands fast or making articulated beats is a better performance, you'll never get the point here.
And that's fine!

If you preffer that, well, do it and that's it.

But hey, the point that Johnisfaster was trying to tell you is absolutly right... Maybe I'm 35(start to feel old at this point), but faster is not better at all. If that was boring for you is because you can not understand what that guy is doing in this video, and it sounds good aswell! nevermind if this kind of music is what we like or not...

But we all do not have to understand everything everytime, you're not guilty! it's just a different perception....

I get bored at opera, always... and listening any classical music concert also... I just don't get it... I preffer jazz, but I won't say that the rest is boring or not interesting, it's not my cup of tea and that's it.

Cheers to all.

G
its not about qwhether or not its faster. its about the fact is you make a video whit you showcasing yourself as a performance you do a performance. you dont tweak a knob; you play your controllers. you dont push a button: you push several buttons and make a rhytm on-the-go.

if i wanted to hear wheter or not youre good, i would listen to a demo cd you did, i would go watch your boring video of you making a demo cd. i have no interest in that what-soever.

is that guy good? musically, i guess he is. people seem to like it, so yeah, he is i guess. performanace.wise hes about as interesting as when you watch the live library re-install for the 1000th time due to another beta release.