youtube: am I crazy or is this guy pretty good?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

youtube: am I crazy or is this guy pretty good?

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:31 pm

I've watched his videos for a while now, seems like he's gotten really good over time. One of the best hardware guys I've seen. It's really difficult to manage that many buttons and knobs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgoG7XuKp0
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Aequitas123

Re: youtube: am I crazy or is this guy pretty good?

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:08 am

sounds good.
not to knock him, but he's still technically just "pressing play".

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 am

no doubt, he milks that MFC42 like a mofo

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:49 am

Aequitas123 wrote:sounds good.
you didn't watch him very closely did you? nothing happens in that track without him making it happen from what I can see.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:57 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Aequitas123 wrote:sounds good.
you didn't watch him very closely did you? nothing happens in that track without him making it happen from what I can see.
+1..
very cool video.. 8)
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I've watched his videos for a while now, seems like he's gotten really good over time. One of the best hardware guys I've seen. It's really difficult to manage that many buttons and knobs..

no its not, and especialy not at that boring tempo.
you wanna see good live shit?
take a look at the fucking breakcore people. those guys smash up their shit each gig, and they would kick his slow knobtweaks and occasional button presses ass any time.

granted, hes a bit more coherent then those guys perhaps, but hey. that was kind of boring, and i demand to get my 9 minutes back.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:35 pm

i think he is pretty good / skilled, certainly tad more then someone only launching prepe'd up scenes.
*** Image GAFM ***

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:26 pm

friend_kami wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:I've watched his videos for a while now, seems like he's gotten really good over time. One of the best hardware guys I've seen. It's really difficult to manage that many buttons and knobs..

take a look at the fucking breakcore people. those guys smash up their shit each gig, and they would kick his slow knobtweaks and occasional button presses ass any time.

granted, hes a bit more coherent then those guys perhaps, but hey. that was kind of boring, and i demand to get my 9 minutes back.
In my opinion breakcore and drilln'bass stuff often has more in common with jerking off than musicianship. Granted there are some good breakcore artists too but often times it's just glitched out nonsense. If thats your thing thats cool but don't bash someone who wants to turn a knob slow just cause you want to see someone mashing shit up.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:37 pm

This, to me, is the essence of the pre-computer style of electronic dance music. All that live machine tweaking creates a certain style, a vibe, which is different than strictly mouse created music. More focused on tweaking looping patterns vs. glitchy cuts, stops and starts, complex mixing, etc. It's cool.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 pm

ethios4 wrote:This, to me, is the essence of the pre-computer style of electronic dance music. All that live machine tweaking creates a certain style, a vibe, which is different than strictly mouse created music. More focused on tweaking looping patterns vs. glitchy cuts, stops and starts, complex mixing, etc. It's cool.
my thoughts exactly. I imagine most of the records I listened to when I was a teenager were recorded in exactly the same way.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 pm

this guy is awesome and is definitely not just "pressing play"

if you like that, check out Zapper. hes got vids on his myspace

http://www.myspace.com/zapperlivepa

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:15 pm

also check out simian mobile disco's setup for this kind of mentality mixed with ableton live as the glue keeping it together
http://vodpod.com/watch/680963-simian-m ... live-setup

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:27 am

If you like pushing buttons and twisting knobs, check out tim exile..!

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm

If you like pulling knobs and twisting nipples then check out this guy...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

In my opinion breakcore and drilln'bass stuff often has more in common with jerking off than musicianship. Granted there are some good breakcore artists too but often times it's just glitched out nonsense. If thats your thing thats cool but don't bash someone who wants to turn a knob slow just cause you want to see someone mashing shit up.
oh yeah, theres alot of glitched out nonsense in that scene, i agree. but the good acts are the good acts, and even though some of the good acts can sound like glitched out nonsense the actual performance (pushing the buttons, tweaking the shit and doing the same thing this guy did in the video) is very precise. just about 400 times faster and more interesting then this video.