My quest for a LOCK TO CONTROL SURFACE button for my APC40..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RCUS

Re: My quest for a LOCK TO CONTROL SURFACE button for my APC40..

Post by RCUS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm

This issue has been fixed with the latest update. HOWEVER, it is completely useless if you want to assign a LockButton using the APC40. The only option with the APC40 is to disable the APC40's stock control surface script and then use the userscript you create to redo the APC40's mapping from scratch. Thus option sucks though because you lose all the LED feedback, which makes it pretty much pointless.

What is really needed at this point is a midi assignable lockbutton option.

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 pm

http://blogs.bl0rg.net/netzstaub/2008/0 ... e-scripts/

Here's some info on the python control surface scripts. It's not light reading though.

I'm also desperate for a lock button for the APC. The only other work around I can think of is using Bome's to 'remember' what the APC was controlling before it got moved. So I'm thinking it would store the channel and the device index in 2 variables, then play the relevant midi back.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

barstu wrote:I'm also desperate for a lock button for the APC. The only other work around I can think of is using Bome's to 'remember' what the APC was controlling before it got moved. So I'm thinking it would store the channel and the device index in 2 variables, then play the relevant midi back.
Bome's cant do it. I asked Native Kontrol:

Q:And regarding blue hand operations with the device controls, id like to be able to lock it without using the mouse, would that be possible?
A:Unfortunately not. Locking requires right-clicking on the device.

Q:Is it possible to lock 2 devices with the blue hands?
A:Yes. You could lock 1 of them on one device and lock the other 1 on another device. Or you could just lock 1 of them and use the other one like normal (to navigate from device to device).

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 am

Forgot about the fact that you can indeed write a custom user script for the APC40 but it's impossible to use the whole dual blue hand idea with it because that would mean you have the APC40 running on two drivers simultaneously.

Again the only way it works is if you disable the APC40 from the control surfaces section (which looks up custom pythons scripts) and then just use the USB Audio Driver as a generic controller. This then causes you to lose all LED feedback on the APC40 AND you are forced to use a knob or encoder since the user remote script only accepts CC data and not notes....which again, makes it absolutely POINTLESS to do so! I wish we could start a petition or something to move it to the top of the list once they get this bug exterminating thing out of the way!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:51 am

RCUS wrote:Forgot about the fact that you can indeed write a custom user script for the APC40 but it's impossible to use the whole dual blue hand idea with it because that would mean you have the APC40 running on two drivers simultaneously.

Again the only way it works is if you disable the APC40 from the control surfaces section
You can set up for instance the track control section as a second device control section, with Bomes. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The APC will through Bome show up as two APCs in Live.

But you cant access "lock device" with Bome. Its only possible with the mouse.

Sucks..

stonefree

Post by stonefree » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 pm

I just bought an APC40 and quickly realized how much this is needed!
Ed Mazur
House on the Hill Music
www.soundcloud.com/edmazur
www.houseonthehillmusic.com
San Francisco based label showcasing all varieties of house, especially deep house combined with tougher grooves and adventurous sounds

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 am

I'm pretty sure a pseudo lock could be employed with Bome's. It's a horrible work around but it should make the APC play ball with another surface. I just haven't had time to develop it yet. My idea is to make Bome's remember where the APC is and then send it back there after the other surface has changed.

amigoplacebo

Post by amigoplacebo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Has anyone been able to actually do this yet? I too realize how wonderful this function could be. I'm thinking of going the m4l route as I have a working knowledge of max msp.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 am

Click below....

Cheers
D

amigoplacebo

Post by amigoplacebo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Excuse me for not understanding but I don't see any documentation stating that you can midi map a lock to control surface button while still maintaing the APC40's control surface settings.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 am

You can remap all of the Encoders in banks and then switch between the standard mapping...

Have a look at the manual for all it can do...

Cheers
D

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Have you checked out Hanz Petrov ' s Customizable APC 40 script?
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.