Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
RCUS
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 am

Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by RCUS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:03 pm

I have been using Lucifer for about a month now. Last night I attended a grand opening for Open Lab's west coast offices and Teddy Riley (No DIGGITY! LOL) was using a program call Gross Beat for stutter effects and vinyl emulation. I am messing with it for the first time right now, and they seem to be pretty similar.

I wanted to see if anyone has extensively used both and get your impressions on which you prefer and why?

pulsoc
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Baltimore
Contact:

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by pulsoc » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Gross beat Win only.

Lose.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:32 pm

RCUS wrote:I have been using Lucifer for about a month now. Last night I attended a grand opening for Open Lab's west coast offices and Teddy Riley (No DIGGITY! LOL) was using a program call Gross Beat for stutter effects and vinyl emulation. I am messing with it for the first time right now, and they seem to be pretty similar.

I wanted to see if anyone has extensively used both and get your impressions on which you prefer and why?
what were your impressions RCUS?

RCUS
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by RCUS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm

pulsoc wrote:Gross beat Win only.

Lose.
can you elaborate why you prefer Gross Beat?

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:49 pm

RCUS wrote:
pulsoc wrote:Gross beat Win only.

Lose.
can you elaborate why you prefer Gross Beat?
Reading that, I see nowhere where he says he prefers it.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

globalgoon
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:52 am

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by globalgoon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:11 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
RCUS wrote:
pulsoc wrote:Gross beat Win only.

Lose.
can you elaborate why you prefer Gross Beat?
Reading that, I see nowhere where he says he prefers it.

he said 'Gross beat, only win[ner] - [other one] lose'

RCUS
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by RCUS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:19 pm

starving student wrote:
RCUS wrote:I have been using Lucifer for about a month now. Last night I attended a grand opening for Open Lab's west coast offices and Teddy Riley (No DIGGITY! LOL) was using a program call Gross Beat for stutter effects and vinyl emulation. I am messing with it for the first time right now, and they seem to be pretty similar.

I wanted to see if anyone has extensively used both and get your impressions on which you prefer and why?
what were your impressions RCUS?
i was going to hold off because I haven't spent enough time with it to do a proper "review", but my FIRST IMPRESSION is that Gross Beat is infinitely better for vinyl style emulation (backspins, slowdowns etc..) and Lucifer seems to function better for jamming on the fly. Gross Beats interface is much nicer too, but if Lucifer is indeed tighter, that wouldn't matter much to me. I can't test how CPU intesive it is yet though, b/c i'm on my crappy PC at work which makes benchmarking near impossible.

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:33 pm

pulsoc wrote:Gross beat WinDOWS only.

Lose.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

lucien
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:53 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by lucien » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 pm

it sounds great. too bad its windows only. im STILL waiting for BT's stutter edit. i really fell inlove with Dblue glitch before i went all mac. and major malfunction really sucks. lucifer just seems alittle too unreliable to me to ever dare to use it live
Last edited by lucien on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:24 pm

well if you're interested in lucifer I might be willing to sell mine, pm me any offers.

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by funky shit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Dumbass :lol:
Image

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:58 pm

funky shit wrote:Dumbass :lol:
?

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by funky shit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 pm

RCUS wrote:
pulsoc wrote:Gross beat Win only.

Lose.
can you elaborate why you prefer Gross Beat?
this.
Image

pulsoc
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Baltimore
Contact:

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by pulsoc » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
pulsoc wrote:Gross beat WinDOWS only.

Lose.
Thank you Mr. Puff for your translation skillzzzzzzzzzzzz

RCUS
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Gross Beat vs. Lucifer VST

Post by RCUS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:50 pm

starving student wrote:
funky shit wrote:Dumbass :lol:
?
I knew what he meant, I was just turning the tables on a stupid response from another smug apple hipster.

I guess that kind of makes you the dumbass funky shit :)

Post Reply