DIY: My Wooden Foot Controller (UPDATE: Version 2)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Re: DIY: My Wooden Foot Controller (UPDATE: Version 2)

Post by gjm » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:09 am

Version 2 is here. See Original post. :D
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:03 am

Tidy!!! :D

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Great. When you start mass production? Coupled with a Launchpad should sell like candies!
Imagine putting it through a Keystroke to MIDI converter...
Well finished and polished, let me say I like that Apple-ish glossy finishing... :mrgreen:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:44 pm

:D Thank you.

I DL'd Keyboard Maestro and am currently taking a look at that. Then Bomes.

Also, I actually made 2 of these. I will daisy chain them and set one with caps lock so will have 18 assignable options :mrgreen:

With a bit of refinement they should be quite easy to build. There are a couple of manufacturing process that depend on machinery that the average DIY person may not have. So I want to find a different way. Also MDF is not my first choice. However, everything except the dowel and the front row of knobs can be made from a standard unfinished 300mm x 600mm MDF shelf from the hardware store, which was $11.00 at my local HW store.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 am

gjm wrote::D Thank you.

I DL'd Keyboard Maestro and am currently taking a look at that. Then Bomes.

Also, I actually made 2 of these. I will daisy chain them and set one with caps lock so will have 18 assignable options :mrgreen:

With a bit of refinement they should be quite easy to build. There are a couple of manufacturing process that depend on machinery that the average DIY person may not have. So I want to find a different way. Also MDF is not my first choice. However, everything except the dowel and the front row of knobs can be made from a standard unfinished 300mm x 600mm MDF shelf from the hardware store, which was $11.00 at my local HW store.
You could sell building kits. Ikea style.
Pack the keyboard, wood, screws, springs.. and you're done..
You could call it 'DIYPBC' (Pedal Board Control...)
A star is borne. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:06 pm

This is well executed and it is a splendid concept. I would say there is one fault: it looks like it relies on the springiness of the keys to pop the buttons back up. I think you should put springs on the buttons themselves for this.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

mikemc wrote:This is well executed and it is a splendid concept. I would say there is one fault: it looks like it relies on the springiness of the keys to pop the buttons back up. I think you should put springs on the buttons themselves for this.
Thanks. I actually did include springs in V2. The pedals are set up with a 3.5mm travel. The springs I found offer a nice positive feel under foot. There is a small audible sound when the disks bottom out onto the face plate, but its not a loud 'click' like with the switches usually found in MIDI foot controllers.

Cheers. G.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Pasha wrote:You could sell building kits. Ikea style.
Pack the keyboard, wood, screws, springs.. and you're done..
This is actually quite easily done, except people should be able to use there own keyboards. Looking for second hand ones could also be an option. There are a few refinements I would make, but if people were interested then I would look at making a small run of these. Surface coating/finishing is mostly personal, but well within the grasp of DIY'ers. It can however be a bit time consuming depending on how fussy you are.

If people are interested in a 'some assembly is required' project like this, then please register your interest here or by PM. Numbers of interest would dictate how I approached this.

Also as a side note, a smaller 7 pedal option could be made using the apple keyboard that comes without the number pad. This would be very compact and approx 330mm x 150mm or 13"x6" in plan size.

Cheers. G.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35 am

gjm wrote:
mikemc wrote:This is well executed and it is a splendid concept. I would say there is one fault: it looks like it relies on the springiness of the keys to pop the buttons back up. I think you should put springs on the buttons themselves for this.
Thanks. I actually did include springs in V2. The pedals are set up with a 3.5mm travel. The springs I found offer a nice positive feel under foot. There is a small audible sound when the disks bottom out onto the face plate, but its not a loud 'click' like with the switches usually found in MIDI foot controllers.
well then, yer a freakin' genius :D carry on!
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Blue Monster 65

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Very cool! I'll look forward to a full review of how it works in a live situation.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 am

One word!

"Iwood" :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro