Shared thoughts on my next VST purchase.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FaX-01

Shared thoughts on my next VST purchase.

Post by FaX-01 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:28 pm

1. Reaktor Session- I've arsed around with the demo heaps like the sound but .... hmmmm don't know if it's quite what I'm after.
Damn great though.
Grear ensemble library to access also which is always a bonus but not as always intuitive as I'd like.

2. Neuron VS - when it's released (niche product) unique concept not a common VST in everyones armoury of softsynths (expensive yet way cheaper than a hardware Neuron.

3.A combination of Z3ta and Albino instead of the other 2 .

4.Korg legacy Collection is my last passing thought as I can get the bundle at a great price and I used to own a Wavestation back in the day.

I already have Crystal ,FM7 ,AudioMulch ,Motion 2.8 ,Synth1
PolyIblit ,Superwave8,Angur ,Bojo's Implulse & Organ1 and Reason.
So between those + simpler & impulse + Adobe Audition 1.5 most if
not all of my sample mangling needs with Live 4 are pretty much met.

I'm leaning towards Z3ta + Albino at the moment but what do you guys think ?
Interested to get some diverging viewpoints here.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

qchapter

Post by qchapter » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:59 pm

I would go for Zeta and Vanguard. You'd save a little cash, and pick up all of Vanguard's killer rythmic capabilities in the process.

-Kevin
Electro-Rock strait outta Tejas!

http://qchapter.com/

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:27 pm

True on Vanguard, but it is a little bit of a niche product. Good for Trance and Dance, and some other things, but I think it depends a lot on what kind of music you are making.

Albino is pretty darn good as well. The nice thing about z3ta is that you can get the Virus z3ta mod as well. So sort of like two synths....

Good luck in the deciding process.

Cheers,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:11 pm

I am thinking my next one will be whatever is free. :oops: Although I am contemplating doing the Korg Legacy on some credit. :oops:

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Sessions isn't a bad choice;however if you like to get your hands dirty,Reaktor's a lot more fun IMO.
Have you thought of VirSyn Tera at all?That's a synth that can cover multiple options,plus it's multi-timbral.Probably the most underappreciated synth out there.
If you're tempted by the Legacy package for the Wavestation,try one of the new breed Wavestation emus like Xphraze or Wusikstation.All the joys of the original AND resonant multi mode filters AND the ability to load your own samples.
And,there's always Absynth if you want those otherwordly sounds.
All are a lot cheaper than a Neuron,and are extremely capable synths.
ew

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:39 pm

I really like the sound of Albino, but I never liked the z3ta at all, don't know why?!?
Anyway, get absynth2, my friend. You'll never look back. You'll get the meanest rhythmsynth around, and it does some kick-arse granular stuff as well, if you want to mangle some more samples :wink: If you can afford it, get absynth2 *and* Albino! That's a mean combo.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:02 pm

Reaktor session by a long way

- if for no other reason than you would have access to literally thousands of different mods in the user library - there are some really excellent ones in there and you could go an amazingly long way with it because you can get one for anything - FX, synths, samplers, drum machines - anything. And the factory ones are quality too. In terms of value for money it would go alot further and you can also use it as an upgrade later.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:40 am

I don't write dance music per se so Vanguard is well off my raidar at the moment ........
I'm actually thinking now of going for none of them and either getting the Cycling 74 Cycles/Rythms cd collection + the Korg Legacy Collection instead.
Or just invest in a crapload of sound library stuff for NNXT in Reason and Recycle for rex loops.
Sighs oh hell I give up LOL :lol: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 am

One nice bonus with the Korg Legacy Collection is that the MS-20 can also be used as a great effects processor.

jh

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:14 am

If you like the Access Virus then Albino is an excellent choice. It also has a fantastic Arpeggiator if that means anything to you. For $169 you can't beat it.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

emz

Post by emz » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:34 am

MarkH wrote:If you like the Access Virus then Albino is an excellent choice. It also has a fantastic Arpeggiator if that means anything to you. For $169 you can't beat it.
As Mark said, if you like the Virus...the Albino is quick and easy. One suggestion though is to also consider checking out the Tassman, by Applied Acoustics. I just picked up a copy, and it's a mean little design tool (obviously not only for synth, but also FX)...tons of presets to give you an idea of what is possible. It's a little bit easier to get your head around than Reaktor IMO...and, just like Reaktor...if you're willing to, or have the extra time, THEORETICALLY you can model any of the VST synths that have been suggested here. I emphasize the "extra time" bit though because as soon as you start getting sucked into synthesis, you may as well say goodbye to any of your spare time. Hope that helps...

emz

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:56 am

Actually Tassman does Physical Modelling too doesn't it.
So you could create hybrid synthesis models based on both subtractor and modelling technologies.........
Thankyou I think I've picked it.
The winner is Tassman :D.

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:58 am

Tassman rocks. Notably, you can get it cheaper if you already own Reaktor. So if you are thinking of buying both, you might want to get Reaktor first.

jh

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:21 am

another vote for Reaktor (sessions). If you havent already check out Electronic Instruments Vol 2 that just came out. They have sound files posted. Incredible. I'd get Sessions for $199 and the new Electronic Instruments 2 for $99, you'l be set!!

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.p ... nicins2_us

IMO since your not doing dance music I'd think twice before getting Albino.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:08 am

If you're going Tassman, don't miss the Reason Crossgrade.

Tassman is great, also highly recommend Tera and Albino.