[OT] anyone knows how Snow Leopard and logic8 behaves?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

[OT] anyone knows how Snow Leopard and logic8 behaves?

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:26 pm

hi guys,

i want to make the switch to SL, i am on the latest Live 8.0.8 version... but my concern is that i need for an upcoming job Logic,
and i still run Logic8 (latest version) anyone knows if there are hickups with SL and Logic8?

thanks a lot!
*** Image GAFM ***

aqua_tek

Re: [OT] anyone knows how Snow Leopard and logic8 behaves?

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm running Logic 9 now, but when I first got my new MBP (which comes with SL), I installed Logic 8 via migration assistant and was able to run it trouble free.

I didn't really put it through its courses to make sure it TOTALLY worked though. Just basic functions.

Check these boards. Pretty sure there'll be more solid info in them.

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/
http://www.logicprohelp.com/

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:41 pm

aqua_tek wrote:I'm running Logic 9 now, but when I first got my new MBP (which comes with SL), I installed Logic 8 via migration assistant and was able to run it trouble free.

I didn't really put it through its courses to make sure it TOTALLY worked though. Just basic functions.

Check these boards. Pretty sure there'll be more solid info in them.

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/
http://www.logicprohelp.com/
thanks a lot!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok, took the risk, installing right now, will report...
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:03 pm

so far so good... :D

everything i started up and tried to run behaved just normal... no power testing yet, but i will get there...
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

SubFunk wrote:so far so good... :D

everything i started up and tried to run behaved just normal... no power testing yet, but i will get there...
a few apple apps such as itunes do open faster also the whole finder does again feel a notch snappier... still checking around,
all systems running so far... only thing i found yet is the free TAL vocoder want go through apples AU validation now...

btw, i stripped down leoapard before already to the max of what i could possibly remove... still SL saved me a good 6gb... NICEEEE!!!

EDIT: updated the free vocoder to 1.1 now it's working :D
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Re: [OT] anyone knows how Snow Leopard and Live8/logic8 behaves?

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am

OK, so for anyone interested...

i am now on SL 10.6.1, Live 8.0.8, Logic 8.0.2, Peak 6.1.1, Traktor Pro (latest) and i think most of plugs i own at the latest versions... including, the whole AAS bundle, the Bias Masterperfectionsuite, freebees, from TAL, Voxengo...

so far everything just runs smoothly, opposed to '80' i can recognise definitely a speed bump with a few apple apps, such as iTunes, address book and mail... etc., that open much faster... and an overall more responsive and again snappier finder...

also the machine wakes up more then double as fast from sleep! now basically i open the lid and while i push the screen to the right angle the machine is fully awake already... before i needed to wait 2-4 seconds...

in short it's great so far... i like a few cosmetic improvements as well as the fact that even i stripped down leopard before already to the bare minimum, removing absolute everything i don't need from the OS, snow leopard saved me on top a good 6gb of HD space...

EDIT: another remark... i use spaces a hell lot and the 'switch' between them, e.g. if i select an apps that is selected to a space other then the one my momentary focus is on, the switch is a hell lot faster... before a sort of sluggish window/finder behaviour was noticeable... no it's zap!
*** Image GAFM ***

jeff_u

Post by jeff_u » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:54 pm

There are known issues with SL and the Logic Environment.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:00 pm

jeff_u wrote:There are known issues with SL and the Logic Environment.
might be...!!! but regarding logic... i never had any of that trouble in any version since 7, i read a lot about on logicprohelp.com

it has been also reported that some people nearly lost all there data while switching to SL... blah... loads of reported problems...

i just reported my experience... and so far all systems running smooth like a cat...
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:18 pm

jeff_u wrote:There are known issues with SL and the Logic Environment.
shit you where right... i tested before and all i checked was running fine... except i forgot to check one thing... arrived on the set...
(doing sound for a movie right now... )
'installed' my setup and every thing was fine, again... except when i started to check levels and made a test recording...

it seemed it really screwed the environment... slightly, it does not output any audio anymore during a recording... i can record fine, but sending stuff through a bus is impossible and nothing arrives on the master track either... that means i can't monitor a recording...

once i have material recorded, or import audio, it seems all is like it should be, i mean i can work with it and it is been send to the master, etc...

so i swapped quickly to Live and have to say found a great way using it in an actually rather comfy way... OK a few things are missing that would come in handy in that kind of situation... but on the other hand i discovered a few "pros" opposed to using Logic... well once again, every medal has two sides... still for that kind of work, i would prefer Logic, thou...

but if anyone has the same problem, respectively is using SL and still has Logic 8... does one knows a fix for the Logic 8 / SL no monitoring during recording problem?

p.s. i asked already on Logicprohelp.com...

damn, my first real serious problem with Logic since i used it (version 4)... oh well...

Live 8.0.8 behaved good so far... i only had yesterday one minor graphic glitch, one of the "dividing" frames that divides the tracks in session view did turned suddenly white and did not disappeared from it's position after turning white until a restart of live...
*** Image GAFM ***