nice launch pad video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Slightlydelic

nice launch pad video

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 pm

check it out, was part of the novation newsletter that was in my inbox today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkvq_6Jg6UU

sparkletone

Re: nice launch pad video

Post by sparkletone » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:50 pm

I'd been wondering how usable the launchpad buttons will be for drum programming. Looks like they'll work out okay!

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 pm

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Instant bookmark

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:21 pm

i tried the trick with sending midi for visual feedback with my Padkontrol, but couldn t get it working.

It would be so nice to have this. Did anybody here tried something like this with success?
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13 pm

is it possible to have that little red box with padKontrol, trigger finger or any other pads besides the APC and launch pad?

Does the monome do this? I don't see why you can't get your 16 pad MIDI controller to control a 4x4 grid, and be able to move it around with a couple more buttons for up, down, left, right..

keithtalent

Post by keithtalent » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 am

oh shit that is cool. i pre-ordered one a while ago. hoping it ships soon. thanks for sharing.

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:42 pm

it is not possible to get the red box with other controllers than apc or Launchpad. That is the "secret handshake" between Live and its dedicated Controllers. I hope this will be hacked in some way though.

But i would be more interested in the feedback for programming drums with the padkontrol. (Pad lighting up when the corresponding sounds are played from a clip.
Is this possible?

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Dr Dub wrote:it is not possible to get the red box with other controllers than apc or Launchpad. That is the "secret handshake" between Live and its dedicated Controllers. I hope this will be hacked in some way though.

But i would be more interested in the feedback for programming drums with the padkontrol. (Pad lighting up when the corresponding sounds are played from a clip.
Is this possible?
I would LOVE to know that, too.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
Dr Dub wrote:it is not possible to get the red box with other controllers than apc or Launchpad. That is the "secret handshake" between Live and its dedicated Controllers. I hope this will be hacked in some way though.

Is this possible?
I would LOVE to know that, too.

the way to find out would be to apply what is shown in the video to your PadKontol and see if it works.

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the GREAT Tip!

I tried it, as i m not totaly braindead, but had no success. As there are quite some possibilities in the Midi Preferences and the routing of the tracks, i thought perhaps i forgot something. So if somebody has this working (or would try it too), this would be great.

Thanks.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:41 pm

i'm sure a bome/max msp/midi trick will come out doing this, but am curious if anyone has seen a launchpad user control drum racks with a 4x4 grid and use the top 4 rows as clip launch (w/o midi assigning, so scrolling is possible)..that way you could launch clips and record drums live for looping w/o having to page from user mode to session mode

iamamonkeysoareyou

Post by iamamonkeysoareyou » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Dr Dub wrote:Thanks for the GREAT Tip!

I tried it, as i m not totaly braindead, but had no success. As there are quite some possibilities in the Midi Preferences and the routing of the tracks, i thought perhaps i forgot something. So if somebody has this working (or would try it too), this would be great.

Thanks.
I got it to work with my padKontrol.

1) make sure that in Option>Preference>Midi/Sync the following is set up
Output = padKontrol CTRL is set up on the top and the bottom (track and remote) - dont ask me why but it works for me

2) 2 midi tracks in Session view
midi track 1 = add an instrument. Midi input = Padkontrol
midi track 2 = Dont add anything. Set it so that Midi Input is from Midi track 1. Midi output = padkontrol CTRL. Channel = 10 (or whatever channel you are using on your padkontrol to send notes). Make sure your input monitoring is set to IN.

3) Create a clip in Midi track 1. Set the clip to whatever length you want. Turn on OVR. Record arm this track and start bashing on your padkontrol. As the clip loops through itself you should see the pads light up.

This works well with any VSTi (drums or synths). For some reason i cant seem to get it to work well with Drum Racks in ableton using the default Scene 1 in padkontrol, where the pad corresponds to the visible area of the drum rack. (for some reason the note value set up in padKontrol Scene 1 is does not correspond to the notes on the Drum Rack, but it still works)

I'm writing this from work at the moment, so Im doing this from memory, and may have missed something out. If you need help just ask again and i'd try to redo this whilst sitting at home infront of my pc.

hope this helps anyway.
-monkey-

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm

thanks monkey!

I think i tried all this but try it again when at home. I think useing drumracks is the key here.

I will try to make ascene on the Padkontrol which just controlls the first 16 slots and test this.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Everytime I hear how important is the groove in the drums, I saw countless of guys with their mpc saying that you should use quanrisation and velocities the right way to make your drums grooving.
So I just wonder the purpose of making drums on non-velocity sensitive pads. Does the groove function of Live can take care if that, or a padkontrol is definitely the way to go?