I won a Dell Mini 10 laptop, any good for Production/Ableto?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
globalk

I won a Dell Mini 10 laptop, any good for Production/Ableto?

Post by globalk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:59 am

So my healthcare fund just gave me a free laptop (thanks guys) apparently I was entered in a compition.

Don't know what model exactly yet but I think it's one of two non-"v" models, http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/note ... &cs=audhs1

Thinking about either selling it or installing ableton/reason on it to use on the train to and from work.

Would this thing have enough grunt to do same basic production stuff?
Or is it not worth it, can prob sell for a couple hundred off the RRP to a mate.
Last edited by globalk on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

shuutobi

Re: I won a Dell Mini 10 laptop, any good for Production/Ableto?

Post by shuutobi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:35 am

I think ya posted the wrong link mate.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:35 am

globalk wrote:Don't know what model exactly yet but I think it's one of two non-"v" models, http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Betting/St ... cingCode=R

Thinking about either selling it or installing ableton/reason on it to use on the train to and from work.
Interesting link... you want to install Ableton Live on a horse?

Seriously: there are a few threads on here with people trying Live on atom processors and/or eee PCs. No definitive answer, but looks like it will run, but at high CPU. I'd say, install the Live demo and your soundcard drivers, give it a short work-out with small sets and bigger sets. Handle it with care, wear cotton gloves and then you can still sell it "as new" condition if it doesn't work out...

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:37 am

Note that the dell minis don't have firewire or express card slots...
So you would be limited to USB audio interfaces.

globalk

Post by globalk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 am

have fixed original link.
it's melbourne cup day and was looking up the horse i got in the office sweeps, no luck there unfortunatly :)

the ports don't really bother me - this isn't going to be a live or studio beast, just something to use on the train to and from work so i can leave my macbook set up at home.

Freebie too :)

what i really want to know is do you guys think this has enough grunt to do some work, or will it be too limited?

globalk

Post by globalk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 am

8O wrote:
globalk wrote:Don't know what model exactly yet but I think it's one of two non-"v" models, http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Betting/St ... cingCode=R

Interesting link... you want to install Ableton Live on a horse?

Seriously: there are a few threads on here with people trying Live on atom processors and/or eee PCs. No definitive answer, but looks like it will run, but at high CPU. I'd say, install the Live demo and your soundcard drivers, give it a short work-out with small sets and bigger sets. Handle it with care, wear cotton gloves and then you can still sell it "as new" condition if it doesn't work out...
that's some good advice, might try it out and see if it goes ok!