Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squelcht

Re: Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Post by squelcht » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:03 am

Wow---seriously, this a fkn joke right?? It's the exact same concept. No arguing about it. The only reason why its in vertical columns is because every friggin' DAW out their works in vertical columns except Ableton's mixer style set-up. If Sonar worked horizontally it would look even more of a rip-off then it does now!

But I do agree...competition is good...

But plagiarism & copying the living shat off of someone is another!

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 am

outershpongolia wrote:You play a clip that say's "you freakin' people don't understand what I'm talking about"..

You stop the clip after "you freakin' people.." you want the clip to then start from ".. don't understand what I'm talking about".

Get it? It's not that difficult, maybe he phrased it weird but I understood what he was trying to get at.
:lol: Seriously, where do these people come from? Crossfader? Mute? Yikes. We're apparently surrounded by a bunch of bozos who don't know the difference between muting and pausing a clip.

globalk

Post by globalk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am

mutant23 wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:You play a clip that say's "you freakin' people don't understand what I'm talking about"..

You stop the clip after "you freakin' people.." you want the clip to then start from ".. don't understand what I'm talking about".

Get it? It's not that difficult, maybe he phrased it weird but I understood what he was trying to get at.
:lol: Seriously, where do these people come from? Crossfader? Mute? Yikes. We're apparently surrounded by a bunch of bozos who don't know the difference between muting and pausing a clip.
the original question did use the word 'mute' perhaps this is where the misunderstanding stemmed from.

maybe a clip pause button will make it's way into live9...

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 am

globalk wrote:the original question did use the word 'mute' perhaps this is where the misunderstanding stemmed from.
the orginal question also used the phrase 'playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it.' perhaps some people need to take their asses back to school. just saying.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:30 am

^^ Amen.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:25 am

it's really simple what you do is ..................................................................
...................................and that's how it's done

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 am

FWIW cakewalks project 5 had this functionality for years (at least 4). yeah they peeped live and did their own version, but now p5 is dead , they've ported the idea into their main daw.
big whoop.
i reckon every major daw is gonna have its own version of the session view in the next few product cycles cos its such a good way to lay down sketches.... this is good; it will gives abes a chance to nick the best ideas back.... case in point that youtube clip.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 am

mutant23 wrote:
globalk wrote:the original question did use the word 'mute' perhaps this is where the misunderstanding stemmed from.
the orginal question also used the phrase 'playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it.' perhaps some people need to take their asses back to school. just saying.
Well to me, 'point it would have been had you not stopped playing it.' would not imply a pause, because had you not stopped playing it, it would be much further on...just like if you mute & then unmute later on.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 am

Dexes wrote:
mutant23 wrote:
Well to me, 'point it would have been had you not stopped playing it.' would not imply a pause, because had you not stopped playing it, it would be much further on...just like if you mute & then unmute later on.

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. Like, if you had not paused it, it would be X beats further down the timeline, so it would pick up at the later point...which would have the same audible result as using the crossfade or mute button.

"...point it was when you stopped playing it...." seems to be the interpretation a few of you are making- a pause. Not the same sentence.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 am

Guys - it's pretty obvious that Cakewalk (Sonar) took this from Project 5, their lame Ableton Live-alike software they brought out about 5 years ago which failed, so they stopped supporting it 2 or 3 years ago.

see the Live type session view grid in the middle. As you can see the arrange page is also on the same window as the session grid, (and a MIDI editor) making for one heck of a cluttered GUI.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am

^^^damn, its seeing pics like that that make me really appreciate live's gui

magestro

Post by magestro » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:16 am

McQ714 wrote:last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.
You brought this up in another thread, if i remember right.

It would be like the arrangment views (re)start at the point you stopped, with pressing shift and then space. Actually i never tried pressing shift while starting a clip in clip mode. Does this work? Need to try it...

If not it should be implemented in Live 9 shouldn`t be to hard of a treat, right?

Cheers

...and no Crossfader and legato won`t do it, my first thought as well :)

sherman

Post by sherman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 am

Pasha wrote:Would you drive a BMW or a Chinese look alike? :lol:
I think a more fitting analogy, would you sleep with a smokin' babe or a Filipino lady-boy? :?
--sherman

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:02 am

Hmm... I wonder where they got this idea from...?

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:58 am

Cool Character wrote:Hmm... I wonder where they got this idea from...?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161