Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cyberstar

Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Post by Cyberstar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

LOFA

Re: Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Post by LOFA » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:02 pm

I wonder if Ableton patented the scene view or not. For their sakes I hope so.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Ableton got the idea for Session View from the MPC's pattern sequencer.

Don't forget NI Maschine. It's got a session view that you can actually record automation in, plus an integrated hardware step sequencer, all without requiring anything like Max4Live.

djsandman

Post by djsandman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Ah, but in Sonar Matrix, the scenes play in vertical columns, as opposed to horizontal rows. So it's totally different :roll:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Yikes... That's a pretty blatant rip off in my book.

- "Hey, let's just rotate the scene/track view ninety degrees, and nobody will notice!"
- "Are you sure about that? It seems pretty obvious..."
- "Counter clockwise!!!"
- "Brilliant!"

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Would you drive a BMW or a Chinese look alike? :lol:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:49 pm

last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Sweet. More competition the better! (for us) :D

It isn't like Ableton invented the concept, they just gave us the best implementation of it to date.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Cakewalk's been ripping off other DAWs for years. It started with Sonar 1, where they ripped off Acid. I don't think ripping off good ideas is bad. It's just that everything Cakewalk does looks like a ghetto version of something else, even if Cakewalk is better at it.

Those play buttons with the circling color bands are ghetto.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:03 pm

McQ714 wrote:last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.
I wish I could say Yes, but I don't think so..

but what do I know?

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm

McQ714 wrote:last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.
Ummmm...can't you just use the track mute button? Only one clip can play per track so I think will perform the same function. As for the video, the vertical organization weirds me out, but that's probably due to using Ableton for a while.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:24 pm

^ yeah i suppose, but it seems there is some functionality that Cakewalk thought of that Ableton did not or just decided not to implement. probably the latter.

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Just goes to show that a good idea will travel far :) however it would be great if the good people at Ableton, some time in the near future would improve upon session view.

Though I'm sure in time they will...like someone already said competition is good (for us) which is far better than constipation :mrgreen:
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Crossfader.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:53 pm

kb420 wrote:
Crossfader.
I think y'all are missing the specifics of what McQ714 was asking about. Neither track mute button or crossfader wil do "temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it" That's more like the legato mode of clips in the same tracks that mute each other.