Max For Live Pluggo discount?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Max For Live Pluggo discount?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 pm

steff3 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: OK so since you obviously are unaware of what Pluggo was,

Of course, my friend, I know what pluggo is, rest assured .... - you have any arguments? Or is this repetitive pattern all in your discussion? Just wondering ....

best
Hmm? no offense, but your grammar is so bad I realize you can't possibly be fully understanding me? Seriously English cannot be your first language? Also, quite honestly I don't care to "win" internet debates where I don't believe there's a point.

My, and others in this threads point again, is that people should let Ableton know, (Cycling said Ableton are the ones who will secure the discount), that they want and expect a decent discount, and that saying something is better than saying nothing.

I'm emailing Ableton, maybe a waste of time, but not as much as debating whether or not doing so constitutes whining with somebody that doesn't own Pluggo etc. :wink:

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:44 am

[quote="Machinesworking"]
I realize you can't possibly be fully understanding me? ....

but not as much as debating whether ...[/quote]

LOL .... if you want to wonder about something it might be better wondering if you understand others, but I am sure you even care about that .... furthermore you are not debating with others ... Instead of filling forum threads you might want to spend your time on thinking about the way you articulate.

Normally people can only realise things that are within their horizon, so [b]you[/b] might not want to try to realise anything that concerns other people or their opinions, you see? You must learn to understand that what you think you realised tells you more about yourself than about others (and especially tells others a lot about you) :wink:

Anyways, I wish you all the best with your endeavour. Maybe one day you may have learned to articulate in a way that allows others to take you seriously. (this might also be of advantage for your endeavour - when writing the email, you see?) But, well, maybe you will not ... who cares anyways .... LOL

best

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 am

steff3 wrote: LOL .... if you want to wonder about something it might be better wondering if you understand others, but I am sure you even care about that
See it's this sort of incomplete sentence structure that makes it hard to follow you, and makes me suspicious that you aren't following me? I'm pretty sure the word 'not' is missing there? but why on earth would you miss that? There's plenty of other examples in this very thread where your sentences make even less sense, and I am not trying to insult you! I'm sadly not fluent in any other language but english, so I applaud your efforts and realize I would do much worse if I was trying to write in French for instance. Anyway I'm getting tired of debating people online in general, and I do think something was lost here as far as any point at all is concerned.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Anyway I'm getting tired of debating people online in general, and I do think something was lost here as far as any point at all is concerned.
Ya think? :P
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Anyway I'm getting tired of debating people online in general, and I do think something was lost here as far as any point at all is concerned.
Stringtapper just has to shove the knife in to see if it's cooked. :lol:

Since you jumped in and I know you have a pretty good understanding of Max etc. What do you think the chances are of Max 4 Live being able to be used to solve some basic problems in Live are? Problems like the single screen, is it possible that Max could be used to throw the MIDI editor on a 2nd monitor? or to read sysex so I could save hardware synth patches in Sets? These are probably both deeper than Max can go in Live, but I'm curious.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
Stringtapper just has to shove the knife in to see if it's cooked. :lol:

Since you jumped in and I know you have a pretty good understanding of Max etc. What do you think the chances are of Max 4 Live being able to be used to solve some basic problems in Live are? Problems like the single screen, is it possible that Max could be used to throw the MIDI editor on a 2nd monitor? or to read sysex so I could save hardware synth patches in Sets? These are probably both deeper than Max can go in Live, but I'm curious.
Just keeping you on your cyber-toes. :)

As far as sysex goes, I believe it's been established that it's possible through OSC, but apparently less than ideal. There was a thread about it but I can't find it right now.

As far as Live's midi editor being thrown on a different monitor I'd say that's unlikely. There probably could be a way to create your own midi editor that reads and writes to the midi contents of a clip, basically mirroring it. It would still be very workaround-ish, but it seems possible.

The encouraging thing is that occasionally you hear the devs talking about this being "v1.0" whenever questions like this come up, which shows that they know there are features they won't be able to address yet but there are plans for improvement.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:05 pm

From Cycling '74's M4L forum, regarding Pluggo pricing:
Andrew Pask wrote:
We'll release the info early next week.

Cheers

-A
Unsound Designer

andrewbenson

Post by andrewbenson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Please see this page for details about Max for Live pricing for Pluggo owners:
http://www.cycling74.com/special/maxforlive

Best,
Andrew B.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Please fill out the form below, if you would like to receive USD 49/EUR 39 off the Full Version of Max for Live. (Max for Live requires Live 8)

To be eligible:

* You must have purchased Pluggo 3 (or later), Mode 1 (or later), or Hipno 1 (or later). One coupon per person, even if you own more than one set of plug-ins. (Note: NFR plug-in sets are not eligible.)

* If you own a plug-in set above and Max 5, purchasing the USD 99/79 EUR Crossgrade for Max 5 Owners is a better deal than using this coupon toward the USD 299/249 EUR Full Version. You will provide your Max 5 serial number at https://www.ableton.com/shop instead of requesting a coupon code with this form.

* If you represent a school and want Max for Live, contact Ableton's edu sales team (edu@ableton.com) for a quote.

============

fuckin cunts.

parma

Post by parma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 pm

4/4 wrote:Please fill out the form below, if you would like to receive USD 49/EUR 39 off the Full Version of Max for Live. (Max for Live requires Live 8)

To be eligible:

* You must have purchased Pluggo 3 (or later), Mode 1 (or later), or Hipno 1 (or later). One coupon per person, even if you own more than one set of plug-ins. (Note: NFR plug-in sets are not eligible.)

* If you own a plug-in set above and Max 5, purchasing the USD 99/79 EUR Crossgrade for Max 5 Owners is a better deal than using this coupon toward the USD 299/249 EUR Full Version. You will provide your Max 5 serial number at https://www.ableton.com/shop instead of requesting a coupon code with this form.

* If you represent a school and want Max for Live, contact Ableton's edu sales team (edu@ableton.com) for a quote.

============

fuckin cunts.
well, I'm out. That's a shit deal. I own Pluggo and Mode (and Radial which they discontinued abruptly and was always a bit dodgy). They should have at least gone $99.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm disappointed, but it's what I expected, Cycling are not that great when it comes to customer relations, specifically existing customers. I've had Pluggo since it came out, and at one point they decided to not allow me to sell it. At the same time I was tired of Pluggo crashing, they switched to PACE and decided to not allow license transfers. IMO one of the reasons they teamed with Ableton is they've always been piss poor programmers when it comes to VST/AU plug in stability. They've even as much as admitted that.

Why would I expect a company that treats it's customers as badly as that to give a fair and reasonable cross grade to Pluggo owners? IRL Pluggo is about half the price of Max/MSP, but we get a pittance discount, of a plug in we weren't allowed to sell, but Cycling decided to drop. <--- think about that for a moment before accusing people of whining etc.

My biggest fear here is Cycling 74's awful customer relations policies end up infecting Ableton. It doesn't matter how good the software is if the company treats it's customers poorly IMO.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 pm

The things is there's not a 1:1 correlation between owning Pluggo and owning Max. The fact that they're including many of the Pluggos as M4L devices is really just an added bonus, it's not a feature set of M4L itself.

M4L is the Edit Button. Just because you don't intend to use M4L as anything but a device shell doesn't mean you're owed anything special.

@MW: Are you saying that the policy for selling Pluggos changed after you bought them, or was that always the policy? If it was always the policy and you were informed of it before you bought then I can't get with you on your reasoning.
Unsound Designer

parma

Post by parma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I'm disappointed, but it's what I expected, Cycling are not that great when it comes to customer relations, specifically existing customers. I've had Pluggo since it came out, and at one point they decided to not allow me to sell it. At the same time I was tired of Pluggo crashing, they switched to PACE and decided to not allow license transfers. IMO one of the reasons they teamed with Ableton is they've always been piss poor programmers when it comes to VST/AU plug in stability. They've even as much as admitted that.

Why would I expect a company that treats it's customers as badly as that to give a fair and reasonable cross grade to Pluggo owners? IRL Pluggo is about half the price of Max/MSP, but we get a pittance discount, of a plug in we weren't allowed to sell, but Cycling decided to drop. <--- think about that for a moment before accusing people of whining etc.

My biggest fear here is Cycling 74's awful customer relations policies end up infecting Ableton. It doesn't matter how good the software is if the company treats it's customers poorly IMO.
They really are pretty bad with customer relations. For the longest time Radial was supposedly going to be updated and then one day - bam - sorry, we're discontinuing Radial. And of course their no license transfer transfer policy. :roll:

Come to think of it, they really dragged their feet with the question of whether Pluggo would be updated to take advantage of Max 5. I guess we know why.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Fifty bucks off!!!! Wow, 8O
I'll still be buying M4L, but i have to say i am a little disappointed in the discount.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm

it should have been a $99 dollar discount minimum, pluggo was $199 and is now dead, half the price of the discontinued purchase is what the discount should be IMHO.