APC40 + Launchpad = Frustration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aton

APC40 + Launchpad = Frustration

Post by Aton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:55 pm

I think I have made a mistake and thought that it would be awesome to have both of these (APC40 + Launchpad) controllers for various functions with LIVE. My fantasy was to use the APC40 as the Standard controller and use the Launchpad to be completely customized as I wished. The problem is that the APC40 uses channels 1-8 - hardwired. I want to use the Launchpad on channels 9 and up but I can't, so my customizations are conflicting with the APC40's hardwired map. So before I send the Launchpad back to the store, Does anyone know how I can use the LP as a controller with led feedback on channel 9 or up? I tried using automap but I think it's quite unstable, The application would say the LP was connected but offline most of the time. Had to unplug a replug a lot. Thanks for your help. :?

chelemasty

Re: APC40 + Launchpad = Frustration

Post by chelemasty » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 am

Did you enable the APC's and the Launchpad's output Track and Remote? If not try it coz it doesn't make sense at all if the Novation won't do that simple task.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

Aton

Post by Aton » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:44 am

Chelemasty,
Yes, I enabled them both and they both work fine together but they share some of the same channels and cc's. That means, if i decided to make the User option totally customized it will also trigger some of the same buttons on the Apc 40. This would be eliminated if I could use channels 9 and above. My conclusion is that having both is redundant because of the said conflict. please tell me I am wrong before I send it back.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:42 am

Damn man that sucks!

The video showed them together fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcvJnIEi ... r_embedded

What's the deal with programming the Launch Pad? Does it have an editor like the Remote SL series? How is it that you can have six launch pad with them all just triggering the same things?

You could use MIDIpipe for mac or MIDIyoke for PC, They are both free and fairly easy to use. (I think never used yoke so i dont know to much about it)

Hope that helps
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

zsklar

Post by zsklar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 am

I don't know what your issue is. I brought home the Launchpad yesterday, downloaded 8.0.9. Installed the driver from Novation and plugged in the LP. When I fired up Live, I set up the control surfaces to accept midi from my LP.

I put up 16 tracks and have my APC40 controlling tracks 1-8 and the Launchpad controlling tracks 9-16. No issue whatsoever!

Aton

Post by Aton » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 am

zsklar, that should work just fine, I know , but I'm trying to customize it. Let's say you take the "User 2" page on the LP and map a button to an effect, what happens is that since that same midi assignment is also on the apc40, it screws up your apc40 button by replacing it (mirrored). They should of made the user 2 page use channel 9. Then there would be no problem.

zsklar

Post by zsklar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:08 am

Oh! I see what you are saying. Yeah, that does suck! I'm sure they will come out with some sort of update through Live that will work this out. I still think the combo of the APC40 and Launchpad will be great. I'm already organizing DJ sets a different way to take advantage of my new controllers.

I don't even want to think about the crazy stuff that will come out of M4L.

I say be patient and wait for a fix. The Launchpad is so much fun!

- Z

Aton

Post by Aton » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I hope you are right and they fix it because I'm sure a lot of people want to use both controllers at the same time for various reasons. I should email ableton about it.

next

Post by next » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:43 am

I really hope they will be able to fix this problem.
It's funny how ableton didn't think users would want to use both controllers together with custom mapping.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

'midi-ox' is your friend... :wink:

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm

3dot... wrote:'midi-ox' is your friend... :wink:
Exactly!

Cheers
D

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:30 pm

While I understand your frustration I think you are wrong to blame anyone for the issue. Maybe Novation, for not allowing you to edit the midi send settings of the Launchpad, but still, not a big deal overall. You need a program that will translate the midi signal coming from the Launchpad, like Bomes if you are on a windows box, or Midipipe on a mac.

next

Post by next » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 pm

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

1. With the use of Bomes, it's possible to use both the Apc40 and the Launched together(ie. the handshake thingie) AND as well do custom mapping with both?

2. If yes will the visual feedback also still work for the custom mappings?

3. and last a ? about workflow: Would the custom mapping be done like I'm used to with the Apc40 alone (ie. just overriding the specific controller handshake with a custom midi mapping OR do I need to translate the specific control in Bomes as well?

Aton

Post by Aton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Using BOMEs, I can't get visual feedback to work.

jonnyH

Post by jonnyH » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:01 am

heya.
did anyone figure this one out? i'm waiting to see what happens with this issue before committing to the launchpad.
Only sick music makes money today.
Friedrich Nietzsche