I want a G5 iMac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

I want a G5 iMac

Post by forge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm considering selling every member of my family to get one.

They are so very doubleplusgood, and one would feel like a real 21st century dweller who parks the hover car out front and slides out to have his retina scanned at his front door which then tells the house to get the bath ready and the robot to serve the genetically modified tea while I check my email on the G5 iMac.

This whole scenario would not only seem likely if I owned one of these, it would make it seem like an insult to the makers to not carry on in such a way.

Now how do I get the cash for all that stuff?

Perhaps I'll write an inferior but ubiquitous operating system and peddle it to the masses.

Either that or I'll write an awful trance tune and get me bird to get her tits out for the video.

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:19 pm

The iMac 20" seems like the perfect machine for Live!!

Apple 20" Cinema Display = $1299
Apple Dual G5 1.8/80GB/256MB = $1999
$3299

Apple 20" G5 iMac 1.8/160GB/256MB= $1899

Put the extra $ into more ram and it's a no-brainer. Live is designed for 1 monitor, plus the the audio engine only uses 1 CPU, I say the iMac makes a great alternative if you're a Mac fan!! :) :) :)

There are new benchmarks (posted September 20, 2004) on http://www.barefeats.com and the iMac 1.8 performs 99.9% the same as the single 1.8 Powermac that came out last year.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:40 pm

dfusion wrote: There are new benchmarks (posted September 20, 2004) on http://www.barefeats.com and the iMac 1.8 performs 99.9% the same as the single 1.8 Powermac that came out last year.
do you have a direct link? the only iMac g5 benchmarks i see is comparing it to the current dual g5 powermacs, and it was posted on Sept 22, 2004

milka

Post by milka » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:16 pm

Waiting for G5 PowerBook....willl it ever arrive...?
still use Pismo G3 500 Mhz Powerbook and love it's convinience and design!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:48 pm

milka wrote:Waiting for G5 PowerBook....willl it ever arrive...?
still use Pismo G3 500 Mhz Powerbook and love it's convinience and design!
that's what I thought - but the thing just looks so cool and I stick a keyboard and mouse in the laptop bag any way and rarely use the battery because it goes flat too quick when doing anything serious.

I reckon it would look wicked rocking up to a gig with one of them I personally would rather save the price difference for the onboard keyboard, touch pad, battery and case design of a powerbook, have a stylish bit of kit and lug a wireless keyboard and mouse - it's much better to sit back on the bed with a keyboard and mouse than a whole laptop - which are getting so f*^&* hot these days - the new iMac looks just as movable as a laptop.

Since I got my laptop I've found I never use it in any situation where there isnt power and the most I'll move it is either downstairs, to my girlfriends, occasionally work, but never anywhere that the new iMac couldn't just as easily go

But I'll probably completely change my mind when the PB comes out.

these are very cool times for technology.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 am

forge wrote: Since I got my laptop I've found I never use it in any situation where there isnt power and the most I'll move it is either downstairs, to my girlfriends, occasionally work, but never anywhere that the new iMac couldn't just as easily go.
affirmative. i've been using laptops for 6 years, as i have moved from continent to continent, but the iMac would be perfect....i never compute except for at home or at some location, it's a sweet piece of kit

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:24 am

rajcoont wrote:
forge wrote: Since I got my laptop I've found I never use it in any situation where there isnt power and the most I'll move it is either downstairs, to my girlfriends, occasionally work, but never anywhere that the new iMac couldn't just as easily go.
affirmative. i've been using laptops for 6 years, as i have moved from continent to continent, but the iMac would be perfect....i never compute except for at home or at some location, it's a sweet piece of kit
Yeah I'm thinking within a month or 2 there'll be some kind of protective travel bag/case thingy for the iMac.

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:45 am

Yeah, the iBag

heheh
:P :P :P

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:08 am

I wonder if this is Apples earliest foray in "tablet" computing? The formfactor is quite close, just lacking a battery.

Oh oh!!! iMac battery!! It could be a bar shaped thing that could just attach to it below the speakers, sporting the same width and depth as the iMac, and about 2" tall. Mmmmmm... Homebrew G5 Tablet..... Now where to get a cheap touchscreen element?
I cant think of a sig

milka

Post by milka » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:29 am

Portability......that is what i thought 2 years ago when i first saw iMac Flat Panel and bought it....i thought i could carry it arownd to my gigs.....
But after 2-3 attempts i gave up and now only use it as a desktop.
But my PowerBook G3 "Pismo" has been serving my music on the beach parties, smokey clubs, trains etc ......although battery doesn't hold more than an hour anymore.
Is that new iMac G5 really that portable-think twice?

Giggin - traveling artists DO need a true portability and a lightweight (not just a battery) - i am shure i am not the only one here waiting for PowerBook G5 ....maybe it will arrive way too late after launchin of a G6 or G7 Powermac.... ?
BTW- my friend bought a new iBook 12' 1Mhz and the battery goes for almost 6 hours ...incredible.
peace-milka

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm

milka wrote: BTW- my friend bought a new iBook 12' 1Mhz and the battery goes for almost 6 hours ...incredible.
peace-milka
but what do they do with it? I'm sure it would run out pretty quick if you were doing anything a bit intensive....but point taken I'm sure a PB would be better still

tanith

Post by tanith » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:57 pm

as much as i like the new imac, but portability isn't the best, this thing weighs at least 8 kilos!

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:24 pm

forge wrote:
milka wrote: BTW- my friend bought a new iBook 12' 1Mhz and the battery goes for almost 6 hours ...incredible.
peace-milka
but what do they do with it? I'm sure it would run out pretty quick if you were doing anything a bit intensive....but point taken I'm sure a PB would be better still
Based on my experience:

My iBook 800 MHZ will give me about 4.5 hours of running Live/Reason/Cubase on the battery.

Twice now I've done 2.5 hour gigs on the battery alone. One time because I didn't realize the power strip wasn't turned on, an one other time just to prove the point that I could.

Each time it was also USB-powering an Edirol PCR-30 keyboard controller as well.

FWIW, I use the built-in audio-out for audio out.

This thing is f'n incredible.

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:49 pm

peace-milka
Holy Jesus!! 1Mhz!! :P :P :P

drush

Post by drush » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:11 pm

at least as it pertains to music production/performance, who really cares about battery life?