New Studio Build Journal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
micah frank

New Studio Build Journal

Post by micah frank » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:24 am

Building a new studio Gowanus (Brooklyn). I set up day-by-day accounting on my site for anyone that's interested:
http://kamoni.net/category/studio-build/

bosonHavoc

Re: New Studio Build Journal

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:07 am

cool.. i love these :)

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:25 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:cool.. i love these :)
+1

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for sharing.

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:08 pm

:mrgreen: here's an rss feed you can use to follow it day-by-day: http://kamoni.net/category/studio-build/feed/

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Nice. What's you plan for fresh air and heat?

I have a similar set up, a room within a room, but it was not as effective at noise isolation as I expected it to be.

Because prior to painting I went around all the dry wall joints where they meet the floor and cieling and filled them with a sound proofing gap filler the room became quite air tight. Its great in the winter from a heating perspective because once up to temp with a simple small oil fin heater the heater then hardly has to work. Problem is that when you get a few bodies in there for a couple of hours you can spike the temp from 18 Dc to 24+ quite quickly.... and then it starts to smell a bit.

What I failed to do was install some sort of air exchange while doing the build. I will have it sorted this summer with a simple home made system using 6" fans and tubes, but it will be a pain after the fact.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 pm

8) Keep us posted :) Oh and good luck with it :mrgreen:

Do you plan to sound proof your bedrooms from the trains too?

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:58 pm

gjm wrote:Nice. What's you plan for fresh air and heat?

I have a similar set up, a room within a room, but it was not as effective at noise isolation as I expected it to be.
Yeah, ventilation is one of the most overlooked aspects in sound isolation and I plan to address it more seriously than on the last build. The building is heated and the room will most likely remain heated especially with all of the fiberglass insolation and gear. We are going to try a double duct system that removes hot air from the top of the room and brings fresh air in from the outside. In addition, there is a powerful wall A/C unit in the outer room that we will duct into the studio.
Rave wrote:8) Keep us posted :) Oh and good luck with it :mrgreen:

Do you plan to sound proof your bedrooms from the trains too?
No bedroom here. It's a commercial space.
Last edited by micah frank on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:59 pm

doh, double post...

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

micah frank wrote:Yeah, ventilation is one of the most overlooked aspects in sound isolation and I plan to address it more seriously than on the last build. The building is heated and the room will most likely remain heated especially with all of the fiberglass insolation and gear. We are going to try a double duct system that removes hot air from the top of the room and brings fresh air in from the outside. In addition, there is a powerful wall A/C unit in the outer room that we will duct into the studio.
You have probably already thought about it, but try and get your fresh air in from the furthermost point from your hot air exit. Ideally opposite walls fresh air in as low as you can and hot air out as high as you can. If the air flow is gentle then you will have a 'sweeping' effect across the room which will eliminate vertical temp differences. In my studio at the moment there can be a 2 deg difference from floor to ceiling.

Also, try to match the air in rate with the air out rate. Don't rely on the air out fan to pull in the fresh air. Try and pump it in at the same rate. This way you can have lower rpm fans and therefore less noise.

I will be using cheap little 6" computer style fans mounted in a box with a few baffles.

In terms of generating heat, you will be surprised what the choice of light bulb will do. In my studio, and it looks like in yours, you have no natural light. To make it simple I just grabbed lamps instead of mounting ceiling pots. However, with 6 light bulbs its still boarder line sometimes reading or seeing things. I really can do with 2-4 more bulbs. It makes for nice ambient mood lighting though. I use the low energy flouro bulbs with the bright white spectrum. Don't be tempted to buy halogens or incandescent units, you will find that in an essentially doubly insulated room they will significantly add to the heat.

Also, I under estimated power sockets. I only installed 3 double outlets, but I could have easily installed 7 (based on my room shape).
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:47 am

Good tip on the air flow - I will indeed be looking into that. Interesting about the intake fan also. I assumed that physics naturally creates a drag when air is filling a vacuum so the input fan makes sense as well.

I learned in my last studio that track halogens are a "no no". ;) I think I will be opting for multiple lamps this time. There is natural light, although it is limited.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:02 am

looks like you aren't too far past the point where this might be helpful although this material may be out of your budget. quietrock 545thx double layered on each side of double studded walls has an stc rating of 80. it's THX-certified for sound isolation. looks like some decent stuff. might help you with the f'ing g train problem. and for floors, the qt scu 4005 is some of the best material i've come across spec'd for construction projects i've worked on. qt sound control also makes a couple products for ceilings i believe.

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:11 am

looks dope
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks for sharing, G.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm

McQ714 wrote:looks like you aren't too far past the point where this might be helpful although this material may be out of your budget. quietrock 545thx double layered on each side of double studded walls has an stc rating of 80. it's THX-certified for sound isolation. looks like some decent stuff. might help you with the f'ing g train problem. and for floors, the qt scu 4005 is some of the best material i've come across spec'd for construction projects i've worked on. qt sound control also makes a couple products for ceilings i believe.
Yeah, I've looked into that stuff - for the last build as well. It's definitely got an impressive rating. It is a little out of budget for this operation. There is still going to be a certain amount of flanking noise just from being in an industrial area like Gowanus. IMO, at some point the extra treatment becomes counter-productive.