Max for Live - first impressions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 am

I think most functionality has still got to come in the core of Live in upgrades to Live 9 and beyond, putting most things into M4L instead of the core program will definately raise a few eyebrows and bring it's detractors.

I think Ableton is getting close to the point of having to rebuild, just as Cakewalk did with Cakewalk Audio to Sonar and Cubase did with VST 5.1 to SX1. So Live 9 might just bring new synths and soundpacks and a few extra goodies with an emphasis on M4L, while they get busy writing Live 10 from the ground up etc.

Of course, this is just a hunch and I base none of the above on anything other than personal opinion and rumours, but often, just like a nasty National Enquirer story starts off as part truth (often a microscopicly small grain of truth) padded with lots of rumour and fantasy, quite often those stories end up becoming (at least a partial) reality ;)

And M4L can't do everything - some people are expecting it to cook their breakfast, auto-wipe their butts after a session on the potty and put in 40 hours a week for them at their job, while they scratch their heads and try and understand how the hell this bloody thing works ;)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 am

Pasha wrote:I've read all the posts here and there are a lot of good starting points for several side discussion. I'm max retarded too probably or I was dreaming of a task I had in mind that did not find its way in reality. Back to the manuals trying to walk trough from scratch.

However is M4L a change of strategy in Ableton?
Live 8 could be the last of its kind. With M4L Ableton could create new devices/fx
by using M4L and avoid changing Live code and include a much wanted runtime
with the next Live version.
Have you ever thought of this?
What do you think, science fiction or next reality? :?:

- Best
- Pasha
i don't know. i think ableton would be very silly to just chalk up any future live improvements to m4l, given the amount of people who don't care for it. you must consider not all max users will be buying m4l, neither not all live users. that leaves a rather niche group of people (me is one of them) who will be making use of m4l in the future. sure max allows for a massive amount of probabilities, but if ableton restricts future upgrades/improvements/addons to just m4l then they are cutting at least half their user base out of the equation. people will migrate way from live, less revenue etc.......
???

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:17 pm

leonard wrote:
Pasha wrote:I've read all the posts here and there are a lot of good starting points for several side discussion. I'm max retarded too probably or I was dreaming of a task I had in mind that did not find its way in reality. Back to the manuals trying to walk trough from scratch.

However is M4L a change of strategy in Ableton?
Live 8 could be the last of its kind. With M4L Ableton could create new devices/fx
by using M4L and avoid changing Live code and include a much wanted runtime
with the next Live version.
Have you ever thought of this?
What do you think, science fiction or next reality? :?:

- Best
- Pasha
i don't know. i think ableton would be very silly to just chalk up any future live improvements to m4l, given the amount of people who don't care for it. you must consider not all max users will be buying m4l, neither not all live users. that leaves a rather niche group of people (me is one of them) who will be making use of m4l in the future. sure max allows for a massive amount of probabilities, but if ableton restricts future upgrades/improvements/addons to just m4l then they are cutting at least half their user base out of the equation. people will migrate way from live, less revenue etc.......
I see. That's what I hope for.
Thanks for reply

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks twisted-space and LOFA!!!

See that the kind of results you get when you post your specs!

OK first impressions: I need to learn how to you this program because none of the things that it comes with are
of any use to me.
ImageImage

maxforlive

Post by maxforlive » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm

whalebox wrote: I think I might have to stop smoking weed if I want to get a hang of making devices
probably a good Idea, coffee is better for patching!