Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you like an app store for M4L?

Total votes: 0

Tone Deft

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

you keep going on about this store and people keep saying there's already a site for this.

http://www.maxforlive.com/

wake up man and stop encouraging people to sell patches FFS. :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:06 pm

I like, I like.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you keep going on about this store and people keep saying there's already a site for this.

I believe what Rave is proposing is an Ableton run app store. Picture a runtime version of Live and the ability to purchase new Max4Live devices/patches. If you develop M4L content then you can choose to offer your stuff for free, or try to make a profit, so there would be both a free and pay section.

I think it's a great idea and a good compromise in order to get a runtime version for those of us that don't have the time to create Max4Live content.

+1 on this.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm

an Ableton run store is an even worse idea.

1. keep the corporations out of it, they want money, they want your business, that's what drives them.

2. with Live's share feature they're going to want us to pay for that service, see point #1. they'll only cost us money.

3. all the best content for Live comes from users. check the Cov Ops, Puremagnetik and TrackTeam. it's generally known that the Live presets and doo dads are starting points but not all that great.

4. max/msp has been around for a long time, that community didn't see a need to pay for patches, they just share them.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:29 pm

No! It s good if not everything is money-driven.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:29 pm

M4L is expensive enough, and besides, even with the Reaktor user base, they probably only sell 1% of the Reaktor patches available, 99% are free, made by users for everyone to enjoy...it's a lot of effort for very little profit, and rest assured that with the huge amount of crack users out there, once a M4L patch goes up for sale, someone is going to figure out how to do it better, slap another interface on it, and give it away, thus negating all of the time spent on selling that patch to begin with, the same as what happens with Reaktor patches that go for sale - selling patches is just not worth the effort - you'd make more money from adspace.

Some people are forgetting that biggest appeal in something like Max is the huge free user library - selling the interface to create these patches is one thing, selling patches when that is pretty much not the norm for Max at all is entirely another thing.

Besides, the max4live site pretty much has it figured out already.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm

They probably already have the idea in works. They might even have a "custom-shop" where users drop an idea & out they shit a patch...& if not, we might of just raised their brows.

+1 Keep the corporations out of it.

Hope the maxforlive.com page becomes "the spot"...

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:37 pm

yes if there will be free m4l runtime.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you keep going on about this store and people keep saying there's already a site for this.

x2

Here's hoping the owner of maxforlive.com is content with revenue from site advertising, and relents with the whole subtle viral campaign encouraging people to hock their doodads instead of predominantly sharing them as has been done for years.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't get everyone asking for Ableton and C74 to charge for what is already free, like the runtime and patches. All you pay for is the interface and the ability to do whatever that interface will allow, and insisting on paying for more is just silly.

(no, seriously, the runtime is actually free, for those of you who are not google inclined
EDIT: Runtime for Max itself is currently free.)

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:18 pm

edit: whoopsie-daisy lost some of the original.

The max/msp/jitter community have been sharing/distributing/improving/evolving and sometimes selling patches & objects for years in an environment that encourages sharing ala creative commons. The paradigm here is SHARE and sell if you like.

Your idea is to completely flip the paradigm, for no good reason other than you have an iphone, into something that is SELL and share if you like.

Pure poison in my humble-I've-actually-been-using-max-msp-for-years opinion.
Last edited by 4/4 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4/4

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Rave wrote:I would happily pay 100 euros for the runtime and purchase new apps (< 5 Euro) or pick up free ones.
there's TONNES of free stuff to pick up within the maxmsp community to use with a 100% free runtime.

Are you making all these posts without any concept or regard for how things actually are and have been for years ?

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Rave wrote:
4/4 wrote:
Rave wrote:I would happily pay 100 euros for the runtime and purchase new apps (< 5 Euro) or pick up free ones.
there's TONNES of free stuff to pick up within the maxmsp community to use with a 100% free runtime.

Are you making all these posts without any concept or regard for how things actually are and have been for years ?

Can the runtime play apps made in M4L?
So, let me get this straight, your app-store idea is some kind of arbitrary solution to the apparent lack of a M4L runtime ?

Ok well, M4L is more than HALF the price of max/msp/jitter and will come with the PLUGGO suite as content which sold for $200 until they discontinued it when M4L hit the scene.
There's your bang-for-buck.

Besides, I too want a M4L runtime ... but if you're being sincere, an app store is a ludicrous solution to that problem and goes against everything that has made max/msp/jitter what it is today.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 pm

*shrug*

I guess you can't handle dealing with the facts.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Okay this all needs some clarification because people are getting confused:

1) The MAJORITY of people that are going to use M4L are looking at a minimum of a $300 investment.

2) While there IS a runtime for MAX, there IS NOT a runtime for MAX4LIVE, meaning if a MAX4LIVE user creates an awesome device that you must have, the MAJORITY of people will need to fork out at least $300 in order to use it.

3) Many of us do not have the TIME to create M4L patches, so we are not going to shell out $300 for a program that we can't use. I am very tempted to buy M4L and start creating new awesomeness, but I also know that will take more time away from my already limited tracking/mixing/DJing time.

So the two logical choices that I would want are:

A) A free Runtime version of MAX4LIVE to run all the cool things people create

OR

B) An app store where I can get both free and paid Ableton devices as I please

Option A is obviously what all of us would want. Option B is a scnerio where I highly doubt I'd spend more than $50 in a year on devices. In both of those scenarios the non-M4L owner/user (the MAJORITY) saves money.

However, what Rave is proposing seems to be the only REALISTIC option. If Ableton was interested, they would have offered a MAX4LIVE Runtime already. So the next best step is an app store and a runtime.

@ the anti-corporation comments: I could care less who offers the devices, be it a small user run website, or a large corporation. I just want a runtime version of M4L, and if that means I shell out $50 a YEAR for devices at $1 a pop, then I'm still ahead of the game $250. I don't even think i'd spend that much in a year on devices, but if I did, i'm still looking at 6 years of M4L devices for $300.