Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you like an app store for M4L?

Total votes: 0

UKRuss

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Post by UKRuss » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:24 am

4/4 wrote:
UKRuss wrote: Love it. :lol:

This has made my weekend!
Your bum-chum acting like an autistic 5yr old on a forum has made your weekend ? And I'm the geek ?
The highlight of my weekend, thus far, has been getting an early-morning handjob in a jacuzzi off a Portuguese air hostess.

The view across the bay was spectacular.
:lol:

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Rave wrote:To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
The difference is why the fuck would someone sell something they've worked hard on when all someone has to do is hit the edit button, copy the code, and throw it into their own device that they then freely distribute?

Database Rave, it's called a database. Change the damn poll to reflect it, because a "store" is nowhere near anyone's future.
As far as I know ableton is thinking about a store. And I as a device programmer would like it, because it would just help in getting contact to thankful people...;-)
I release my easy devices under a cc-sa license, and the more complex ones under a cc-nc-sa license. The problem with the nc license is, that it doesn't cover commercial use at all. That's the point where Ableton can help. If you want to use it commercially you need another license, which would require some sort of payment for example. I don't believe in copy protection at all, but I believe that there are enough folks out there who are willing to contribute to my efforts. Better than a donation only system is something which reflects the usefulness of the devices. If my device is helping someone to make money I think its fair to ask for a share, especially as I don't have any other income at the moment and I probably need some money to get a Live license. Lets see how many devices I'll pull out 'till the end of the beta time. A physical bowed string instrument will make it, a multichannel panner as well, I am not sure if I can solve some technical issues with YetAnotherAdditiveSynth. Have a look at maxforlive.com to see whats out already...

my 2 eurocents...

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm

stefan-tiedje wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
Rave wrote:To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
The difference is why the fuck would someone sell something they've worked hard on when all someone has to do is hit the edit button, copy the code, and throw it into their own device that they then freely distribute?

Database Rave, it's called a database. Change the damn poll to reflect it, because a "store" is nowhere near anyone's future.
As far as I know ableton is thinking about a store. And I as a device programmer would like it, because it would just help in getting contact to thankful people...;-)
I release my easy devices under a cc-sa license, and the more complex ones under a cc-nc-sa license. The problem with the nc license is, that it doesn't cover commercial use at all. That's the point where Ableton can help. If you want to use it commercially you need another license, which would require some sort of payment for example. I don't believe in copy protection at all, but I believe that there are enough folks out there who are willing to contribute to my efforts. Better than a donation only system is something which reflects the usefulness of the devices. If my device is helping someone to make money I think its fair to ask for a share, especially as I don't have any other income at the moment and I probably need some money to get a Live license. Lets see how many devices I'll pull out 'till the end of the beta time. A physical bowed string instrument will make it, a multichannel panner as well, I am not sure if I can solve some technical issues with YetAnotherAdditiveSynth. Have a look at maxforlive.com to see whats out already...

my 2 eurocents...

Stefan
Thanks for chiming in Stefan. I do think a store will eventually happen, but I think it will be a while because there's a lot to consider regarding copy protection and licensing. Not everyone holds the same beliefs on copy protection.

That said, I would absolutely donate to a fund to get you a Live license if only so I could study the devices you will make. Seriously.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:49 pm

UKRuss wrote:
stringtapper wrote:The Max user base has traditionally been and continues to be comprised primarily of people coming from conservatory and music school backgrounds. What this means is that the people using Max are musicians. They can read music, perform/compose in multiple styles, and usually have an historical, theoretical, and practical knowledge of music that is not limited to popular music (but not necessarily exclusive of it either). Many Max users are composition students who have probably never programmed anything outside of an alarm clock.

:lol:

Now go make some dance music.
Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 pm

No no no. This thread's mascot is definitely THIS fine looking chap.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

stefan-tiedje

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L?

Post by stefan-tiedje » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:19 pm

3phase wrote:they won´t have the time to do records or livegigs when they patch all day..
And doing something serious with max is patching all day..
I patch all day and rock all night. Not much time for records though, because all my music is Live! But 'till now with Max only. I even patch while playing livegigs... ( http://www.blankpages.fr/session8-en.html )
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/