Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you like an app store for M4L?

Total votes: 0

Rave

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Rave wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
So you're just like my ex-girlfriend then. You're asking one question when you're really asking for something else.
No haha, it's called building a business case.
Rave, your signature does make your ass look fat.

/hides

LOL

hold on...

it does look a little big

boohooo

*nite all tis bed time for me*

drako

Post by drako » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Max4 life light player would be nice too.
Like native instruments did with reaktor session.
I loved that concept, i don't have the patience nor the knowledge to build patches in M4L
Make it a player, for peepz like me, and reduce the price a lil :-D

RajahP

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L?

Post by RajahP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you keep going on about this store and people keep saying there's already a site for this.

http://www.maxforlive.com/

wake up man and stop encouraging people to sell patches FFS. :roll:
I think the store is a great idea.. Do you think Ableton would be so advanced if they giving it up for free? Rewarding encourages creativity.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Rave wrote: The model is far from perfect at the moment. Not all of us are MAX geeks and want to pay 249 euros. Some of us just want to write music.
i'm getting your point but i think that ableton/c'74 expectations are: there will be so much free interesting m4l patches, so even nongeeks will spend 249 euros to use it as simple runtime. they try to sell now something that was free for nondevelopers (the only additional value is mashup of two existing products of two different companies, i'm still wondering if it will click, we'll see...)

so the business model behind it is that you pay a lot in the begining and you will get extras within that price. i suppose that next assumption is to get the cash meant for for patch developers ("if runtime is free, i can pay for patch, if i paid a lot [in advance!] for a runtime functionality i'm expecting patches to be free"). previous assumption (before m4l mashup) was more clear to me - "there is enough of ubergeeks that will buy our software to play with it by themselves"

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:52 pm

It's threads like this that makes me miss TITBAG in a major way. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:59 pm

4/4 wrote: max/msp/jitter = $700
M4L = $300
and you forgot about $400 for live8

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 am

aeon_flux wrote:
M4L = $300
No I didn't.
It's called "MAXforLIVE" not "MAXforFRUITYLOOPS"

Jeebus, I would have thought owning Live8 was a faiiiirly obvious pre-requisite to using M4L.
Nevertheless, the savings on max/msp/jitter VS M4L remain the exact same. Whether you buy Live8 outright, or upgrade it - shit's gonna cost the same whether you intend to buy M4L or not. And you get what you pay for.

no wonder you're so gung-ho on an uber convenient candy shop of cheap ass patches. You're an imbecile.

Thank you for your input.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 am

just final thoughts and my .02

- ubergeeks will buy it. will masturbate with it.
- normal geeks will buy it too but they may not have enough positive feedback because of non geeks will not buy it (thats the main driving force if we do count money)
- that will reflect ammount/quality of available patches and success of the product

final question: is there criticall mass of normal geeks that will provide positive drive to other normal geeks :)

i would like to pay for "edit buton" when i grow up (like when i upgraded my le into suite)

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 am

4/4 wrote:[ You're an imbecile
yes. i am.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:39 am

4/4 wrote:
aeon_flux wrote:
M4L = $300
No I didn't.
It's called "MAXforLIVE" not "MAXforFRUITYLOOPS"

Jeebus, I would have thought owning Live8 was a faiiiirly obvious pre-requisite to using M4L.
Nevertheless, the savings on max/msp/jitter VS M4L remain the exact same. Whether you buy Live8 outright, or upgrade it - shit's gonna cost the same whether you intend to buy M4L or not. And you get what you pay for.

no wonder you're so gung-ho on an uber convenient candy shop of cheap ass patches. You're an imbecile.

Thank you for your input.

b0unce?

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:55 am

I don't suppose you're talking about a max patch ?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:16 am

lol. you hippie.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:18 am

so i just downloaded the beta and gave it a whirl.....seriously i'm about two weeks of reading (and six months of failing) from doing what i would really want to do in that program. not to mention the infinite possibilities and the interface customization to make it look a purty too. oh heeell no.

the first time I opened Live, I was all: "I got it" almost instantaneously. this is because i had about 10 years of experience with various other DAWs, hardware, and software. not to mention working at Sam Ash for a year an a half.

M4L is a complete new world for me considering I have ZERO programming background. It's as if i just walked into a music store and asked the guy in recording: "Duh...what's a sampler"?

now I really want a runtime version, because unless I hit the lottery I will not have enough hours in my week to master that program AND make new tracks AND dj AND bang hot chicks. there's just not enough time in the week, and there's no way i'm giving up bangin' chicks.

sooooo.....................................bring on the mutha' fuckin M4L app STORE - i got dollas in my hand and they ain't for the strippers!

Rhadiem

Post by Rhadiem » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:33 am

I support this kind of store if they give a free runtime so people don't need to buy the "dev kit" (max4live), if it was free to upload for the developer (with a $ % cut on sales given for overhead), and if free apps were fully supported.

Doing these things would:

Centralize apps for the community to find/install easily.
Enable more people to benefit from M4L apps (and encouraging others to actually buy the M4L kit)
Encourage very complex apps by rewarding their hard work with a chance at profit.

I don't see anything but good happening with this. I'm ALL for sharing and collaboration on stuff, but if someone feels they need to charge for something in order for them to offer it, then I'm cool with people engaging in capitalism if it helps feed their kids and puts gas in the tank.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:04 am

this have been disscuted to death on the NI reaktor board... I like the way Native did it.