Max4Live, Max4live Lite, Max4Live R/T. Which one are you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you pay?

$299 for Max4Live with jitter
26%
$199 for Max4Live Lite without jitter
14%
$50 for Max4Live runtime
61%

Total votes: 74

4/4

Re: Max4Live, Max4live Lite, Max4Live R/T. Which one are you?

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 pm

steff3 wrote:Well, I think the Max-RT has to be seen in the way it is. Max is often used for installations and live performances ... So, for installations you normally do not want to have a license of Max bound to the computer used in the installation (and therefore unaccessable for work) so you can make the patch work and then use the RunTime environment for installation operation.

There is not such case for Live - as Live itself has no runtime.
maxmspjitter is still for sale if you want to do your installation thing.
As for live, it may not have a runtime....but it has a demo which allows you to run your sets just not save them.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:51 pm

twisted-space wrote:I'll be buying it from a US online store when I do get it, 'cos it'll be almost £50 cheaper.
Really ? Is that possible ? Isn't it just downloadable content ? I've only ever bought boxed stuff from the states before...

steff3

Post by steff3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:55 pm

[quote="4/4"]

maxmspjitter is still for sale if you want to do your installation thing.
As for live, it may not have a runtime....but it has a demo which allows you to run your sets just not save them.[/quote]

yes, sure, and that demo might also include the demo mode for M4L ... do not see how that contradicts what I say .... :)

thanks for your thoughts

best

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:06 pm

a R/T would be great for me also as I'm not that big into programming and just learning to make devices would take too much of my time away from actual music.. I think I would rather spend the time developing my production/mixing and music theory skills.. I wouldn't mind paying for it.. $50 would be great but highly doubtful.. Plus I am really more excited about the serato/ableton collabo..

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

4/4 wrote:Anyways I didn't vote because the POLL only allows 1 vote and I'd have voted for all three.
If you vote for 1 you don't need 2 or 3, you already have full functionality.
4/4 wrote:Really ? Is that possible ? Isn't it just downloadable content ? I've only ever bought boxed stuff from the states before...
Don't see why not, I've bought software from audiomidi.com in the past and they sell downloadable ableton and cycling '74 products.
I'll definately give it a try, it's not like customs are going to try to charge import duty on a download.
Last edited by twisted-space on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

All I know is this: I've spent just 48 hours in the Max/MSP world and it's a fucking jungle out there. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Just getting your feet wet is an eye opening experience. After getting my Launchpad and downloading Max runtime and the great new nonome app, I thought I was ready to dig into some Max standards like Step64 and mlr/mlrV/mlrV4live. Was I ever wrong. I wasn't ready. It was akin to climbing the hill in my backyard and thinking I was ready to climb Mount Everest. There's three issues that destroyed me:

1. Finding anything in the Max/MSP world. Fuck me. It's like getting on the internet circa 1994; in which one must search through pages long threads to find the latest version of some patch. One can immediately tell that the Max/MSP world was created by and for geeks. That's to be expected, but someone should have hired somebody to organize things. My mum would have been great for that. Something simple, like the download section of KVR. Who the fuck has time to sift through mounds and mounds and mounds and mounds of stuff only to find one post that explains how a certain patch won't work with the latest version of Max Runtime and that you need an earlier version? Not I.

2. Thank God for the select few souls who have posted video tuts on Vimeo and such that walk a neophyte through the basic shit like rewiring mlr and Live. Because, eh, instruction manuals for anything are few and far between and usually explain things in the briefest of possible terms. Many times you might as well be reading Greek. I know this is to keep interlopers like me out of the whole fucking Max/MSP world (some kind of test to see if I'm worthy or some shit). Instruction manuals are for pussies, and you're reminded of this every. step. of. the. way.

3. Rewire is a total buzzkill. Nearly all of the Max apps I tried worked on their own with the nonome emulator. Some are just wicked cool. Getting these to work with Live is a whole other matter. Nightmare. Rewire. Ugg. It's hideous. I've got a modest setup, and know my way around hardware MIDI routing. Rewire isn't brain surgery but, I swear to fucking God, something that connects and work fine one day will just refuse to do so the next. Did I offend the Rewire Gods during the night? Say the wrong thing? Insult Rewire's wife? Who the fuck knows. The clock drift, when things get working, is so godawful most times that it doesn't even matter if it's working or not. I cannot imagine EVER running something during a performance. I don't know who does, but I'll say a prayer for you tonight. Rewire? Fuck you.

Which leads me to this:
If paying $300 or whatever for M4L means that I won't have to rely on fucking rewire - and I get amazingly stable versions of Step64 and mlrV4live and a host of other great patches - I'll plunk my cash down now. Fuck a runtime version. Not dealing with the agony of rewire makes me forget all about a runtime version.

I can also only hope that maxforlive.com or Ableton or C74 or someone/something else will offer a cohesive, intelligent, reliable, and graphical way for me to cruise through apps/updates/tutorials/etc/etc/etc. This is where the idea of an APP STORE (or if you don't like that term, an APP CENTER) is very valid. Pay apps, free apps, whatever. I don't give a shit. I will, however, give my left nut if it's all organized in some manner that makes sense and will allow me to get back to playing music as quickly as possible.

8)
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:20 pm

steff3 wrote:Well, I think the Max-RT has to be seen in the way it is. Max is often used for installations and live performances ... So, for installations you normally do not want to have a license of Max bound to the computer used in the installation (and therefore unaccessable for work) so you can make the patch work and then use the RunTime environment for installation operation.

There is not such case for Live - as Live itself has no runtime.
4/4 wrote: maxmspjitter is still for sale if you want to do your installation thing.
As for live, it may not have a runtime....but it has a demo which allows you to run your sets just not save them.
steff3 wrote:yes, sure, and that demo might also include the demo mode for M4L ... do not see how that contradicts what I say .... :)

thanks for your thoughts

best
.... A runtime allows you to RUN a patch.
Whilst Ableton doesn't provide a 'runtime' it's demo will allow you to RUN your sets on unlicensed computers with the only caveat being you can't save. that's 100% the functionality of a runtime if all you want to do is run your sets, which is the situation you described initially.
Make your ableton set with M4L at home - go to your installation and run the set with the DEMO, as I explained already.

your welcome.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Rewire is a total buzzkil
Right. I totally agree. That is why you should cut the necessary guts and paste them into a live device and be on with your bad-self.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:23 pm

twisted-space wrote:
4/4 wrote:Anyways I didn't vote because the POLL only allows 1 vote and I'd have voted for all three.
The poll question is "Would you pay?"
And I would pay the prices listed for all three.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:36 pm

4/4 wrote:
twisted-space wrote:
The poll question is "Would you pay?"
And I would pay the prices listed for all three.
Ok perhaps I should have phrased the question more precisely. I would imagine that you understand the principal behind the poll though? The post title makes it pretty clear i believe.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:47 pm

twisted-space wrote:precisely. I would imagine that you understand the principal behind the poll though? The post title makes it pretty clear i believe.
The first option is the only REAL option on the table. the following two are purely hypothetical. And then the POLL question is "Would you pay?" ... ambiguity 101

What's the principle behind the poll ? Do I want a three tiered system ? Yes I do - but there's no option for that, and I can't vote three times. Personally, and in reality, I'm going with option 1, but I would want the other two options to become a reality also.
twisted-space wrote:
4/4 wrote:Really ? Is that possible ? Isn't it just downloadable content ? I've only ever bought boxed stuff from the states before...
Don't see why not, I've bought software from audiomidi.com in the past and they sell downloadable ableton and cycling '74 products.
I'll definately give it a try, it's not like customs are going to try to charge import duty on a download.
Kool, I'll give it a try then 8)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:39 pm

LOFA wrote:
Right. I totally agree. That is why you should cut the necessary guts and paste them into a live device and be on with your bad-self.
I'm not even going to pretend to know what you're talking about, but I'm curious. Is that how it all starts? lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:44 pm

4/4 wrote:
Rave wrote:4/4 is going to go fooking mental reading this LOL

Expect to be called cretins etc :lol:
EH ?

how do you figure that ? There's nothing in this thread that is at odds with my views.

Anyways I didn't vote because the POLL only allows 1 vote and I'd have voted for all three.
Fact. U lying piece of scum lol

u have a shitty mummy who taught u bad

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Rave wrote:u have a shitty mummy who taught u bad
Put down the sherm, pick up the cowbell. That'll get 'em dancing for sure!
Unsound Designer

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
LOFA wrote:
I'm not even going to pretend to know what you're talking about, but I'm curious. Is that how it all starts? lol.
If you had a max patch that communicates with other applications through rewire it would have typically have either an input or output (perhaps both) communicating to the rewire utility.

What you might do is recreate the patch without the rewire send / in. Instead modify it with appropriate objects to work within mfl. And there you have the same patch working without the need for pesky ol' rewire.

=rebon*1000