touch osc for ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola01

touch osc for ableton

Post by jeskola01 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am

Hey ,

Do many of you have this set up?
Looks very interesting, if not a little bit complicated to set up.

http://www.gadgetcracker.com/2009/06/ho ... eton-live/

How do you find it?
Is there any latency?
Can you add labels to the controllers so you know what they d/control?
Do you feel like a bit of a gimmick whore if you use it when playing live? ( :lol: )

telekom

Re: touch osc for ableton

Post by telekom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 am

I just d/led it and tried it - awesome. I didn't know anything about it until I was reading threads about the iPad tonight. You need TouchOSC and also Osculator (well, and an iPhone). It all works beautifully. I've only scratched the surface of using it. Anybody else?
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:32 am

Tried this awhile back but, I swear to God, it was pure fucking agony to set up. 72 steps to get it up and running, it seemed like. Fuck that.

Has it improved?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:40 am

easy as pie on a mac with osculator!

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Tried this awhile back but, I swear to God, it was pure fucking agony to set up. 72 steps to get it up and running, it seemed like. Fuck that.

Has it improved?
I managed to get touch osc working with Ableton on a friends iphone about a year ago. I think we used it with Reaktor. It was very straight forward to set up, you just need to take things logically. I can't remember being stalled on anything, it went straight in.

Panic

Post by Panic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 am

Have it and love it. The only problem I have had with touchOSC is the size of my phone... I think Apple fixed that today ;)

Jazz mutant is going to have to more than halve their price to compete with the iPad and TouchOSC combo. 16 GB of data can be stored on that thing and all I likely need to load a pile of TouchOSC templates is a few hundred kb. The iPad is a PERFECT controller platform IMHO. I might get a Dev licence for it just to create my own custom ableton control App.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 am

I've had a play around with touchOSC but it sems like it has drop outs sending/receiving stuff at times which gets kinda annoying. Given I was about 5m away from the wireless router it didn't seem like connection strength would be a problem, but who knows... A friend of mine's had similar trouble on mac so I'm guessing it's not just the router or a PC problem. Anybody else had this?
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:14 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Tried this awhile back but, I swear to God, it was pure fucking agony to set up. 72 steps to get it up and running, it seemed like. Fuck that.

Has it improved?
Nope, still agonizing... on windoze at least. I didn't go back to it because it was too tiny, but a cute novelty. It should fare better on the new iPud.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:14 am

jeskola01 wrote:Can you add labels to the controllers so you know what they d/control?
Yup, you can add your own custom labels to controls not to mention your own custom layouts.

Very excited to see that Apple's tablet is now a reality and ultimately bringing down the cost of multitouch devices. And you can get one for less than a third of the cost of Lemur! And Lemur is only a controller and nothing else. :roll:

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:15 am

I use TouchOSC with this method on a PC.

It's awesome.

However, I haven't yet got to creating a PD patch for custom layouts, but it's very similar to MaxForLive/MaxMSP anyway.

Anyone here made their own PD layouts?

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

Brian Ffar wrote:iPod Touch + MRMR + Ableton Live = The Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWpKCRf04w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOaFgV88VFQ
Do you have mrmr working? Last version I've seen is from April 2009 and no development on it since...

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm

I use it on PC with GlovePie as OSC<->MIDI translator and I love it !
You can also change the page that is selected on the iPhone via OSC
and you can change the labels via OSC.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

mrzosonp

Post by mrzosonp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I use Touch OSC with Live on every gig and have been for a little over a year. Now that you can add custom labels I can really get around it better and have a different setup for each gig.
do you think a vintage laptop would sound better?

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:08 pm

For a few controls, it is simple.

If you want to map many controls with visual feedback, using a go-between program (even osculator) is a real let-down.

I've run into weird behavior and there is a lot of duplication of effort that would not exist if Live supported OSC.

It's the coolest app on the iTouch, but desktop software needs to catch up!

:idea:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.