Soundcloud officially fucks you now.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Hidden Driveways

Re: Soundcloud officially fucks you now.

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Also... this is just wacky:

PRO is now Premium. Pro Light is Solo. PRO Standard is now PRO. Pro Max is now PRO Plus.

Sounds like they're on professional horse drugs to me.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 pm

I guess it feels better to be PRO fucked :lol:

- Hidden DriveAways : I'll check Wordpress, may be interesting, but still need to pay something for the web host

- Bandcamp : seems interesting too, and seems 100% free ? I'll check it furthermore

Thanks mates

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:48 pm

monstrejumo wrote:...
- they OFFERED something brilliant, free, un-hoped for service with great tools, for, well 1 ear at least
- they make you LOVE it and NEED it
- then they say "hey dude, there are some cool news for you : my stuff is now really better quality, you got more choice, but now you got to pay for it. Of course I can still give you for free some little samples, but not the good stuff you were used too. that's great, isn't it?
Ok, I see what you mean, yeah, that's not so cool
monstrejumo wrote:- NO RE-UPLOAD of the tracks (I often use it as I re-upload the new versions of my tracks when I have made some re-wpork on it)
Can't you just upload "trackname_v1.1", "trackname_v1.2", etc?

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 pm

monstrejumo wrote:- Bandcamp : seems interesting too, and seems 100% free ? I'll check it furthermore
Bandcamp FAQ is a fun read - no, really! But iirc, they said they're not sure how they're going to make money from it and all this stuff is free right now, but I guess may change in the future...

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:52 pm

8O wrote:
monstrejumo wrote:- NO RE-UPLOAD of the tracks (I often use it as I re-upload the new versions of my tracks when I have made some re-wpork on it)
Can't you just upload "trackname_v1.1", "trackname_v1.2", etc?
that would quickly reach the storage limit. then again, one can delete tracks, no? dunno, haven't ever looked for it :)

well, i payed for the small pro just before the change. i like the service, hope it continues => i pay for it. that's the way it goes...
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm

that would quickly reach the storage limit. then again, one can delete tracks, no? dunno, haven't ever looked for it
yes you can delete tracks, and upload new ones with names like "track v2", but I used to like keeping the stats and comments, kind of narcissic stuff I admit.

I would not be surprised if bandcamp went $$$ too. How can they live? and they allow artists to use their stuff to SELL tracks, without taking any duty???? strange

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm

they say they want a part of the bigger bands. so if you make a lot of money, you pay them a bit. if not, you don't. hope they continue on that scheme. so far, i haven't really sold anything on it, so i don't have to pay. i happily pay them a bit once someone likes my stuff, though :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 pm

bandcamp faq samples:
What's the maximum upload size?
It's 305 megabytes, or more precisely, 305,088,054 bytes (that's 297,937.6 kibibytes or 290.95 mebibytes to you, Lieutenant Commander La Forge). Never you mind that though. The important thing is that it's the exact size of "Inamorata and Narration by Conrad Roberts" from side 4 of Miles Davis' Live-Evil (assuming we're talking 16/44.1, which we always are). If you have something to say that's longer/larger than that, you are a jam band and we cannot be a party to the dissemination of your output (j/k jam bands, we love you too -- but please take a quick hacky-sack break at 26:29).
305 Mb ===> 6 wav tracks approximately.... how do people manage to have several ablums uploaded???

Free!? Then how are you going to stay in business? In your answer, please use the non-word "monetization" at least twice.
Our monetization strategy boils down to the simple belief that we should only make money if you make money. So, for example, we might take a cut of download and merchandise revenue, but only from artists selling over a certain amount per month (right now we take nothing over Paypal's transaction fees). We don't know yet what that threshold will be, nor do we know what percentage cut we'll take. The point is, we think it's silly to build a business model in a vacuum, and would rather get the product out, get feedback from all of you, and sort it out that way. In the meantime, we've got plenty of cash in the bank (we're modestly venture funded by the fine folks at True), a low burn rate (we're all engineers and designers -- no HR VPs just yet), and a proud history of succeeding in the midst of a recession. (Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. Monetization strategy subject to metamorphosis. Teamocil may cause numbness of the extremities.)
so it's obvious they'll arrive to something with different free/pay acounts like soundcloud. They don't say when, how, but it's obvious.

But lossless files are freaking huge!
Please phrase that in the form of a question.

But lossless files are freaking huge?
I like how they write their stuff. It remembers Mackie's manuals :lol:

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:45 pm

I'll just stick to reverb nation...
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:13 pm

you should re-read the terms of use, I feels some freaking lines in there_ that cooled me down for signin up

http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use
well nevermind, i'm on study time, maybe there's nothing wrong with soundcloud after all, as long as you keep the rights on your own creations

Though I think developping own website is way more efficient and with personal touch for sure

/back to study :idea:

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 pm

monstrejumo wrote:bandcamp faq samples:
What's the maximum upload size?
It's 305 megabytes, or more precisely, 305,088,054 bytes (that's 297,937.6 kibibytes or 290.95 mebibytes to you, Lieutenant Commander La Forge). Never you mind that though. The important thing is that it's the exact size of "Inamorata and Narration by Conrad Roberts" from side 4 of Miles Davis' Live-Evil (assuming we're talking 16/44.1, which we always are). If you have something to say that's longer/larger than that, you are a jam band and we cannot be a party to the dissemination of your output (j/k jam bands, we love you too -- but please take a quick hacky-sack break at 26:29).
305 Mb ===> 6 wav tracks approximately.... how do people manage to have several ablums uploaded???
Isn't that the limit per individual uploaded file, not in total for your account?

manimal

Post by manimal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:36 pm

You should have got on board a little earlier, I get 720 mins on my free account just for having a beta account when they first started,BONUS!!!!!
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Yeah I get 240mins now because I was an early adopter!! I dont understand it totally myself! Does it mean I get to upload 240 mins every month or I'm forever stuck at 240 unless I start paying for it????

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:Yeah I get 240mins now because I was an early adopter!! I dont understand it totally myself! Does it mean I get to upload 240 mins every month or I'm forever stuck at 240 unless I start paying for it????
Relax, relax... I'll explain everything. What was once PRO is not PRO, PRO is now PRO, but what was PRO is now called Premium.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Isn't that the limit per individual uploaded file, not in total for your account?
You are surely right, didn't really read it's "the maximum UPLOAD size", and not the maximum "STORAGE" size...

240mn guys : where do you see what storage capacity you got?
for me it is strange, I have a 1h04mn live recording and 8x 5mins tracks uploaded, and when clicking on the upload button, they say I have 1h4 still usable of my "tape"... but 1h04+8x5= 1h44, so how can I still have 1H4 (04? 40??) left...? 8O strange

to be continued...

edit :
Relax, relax... I'll explain everything. What was once PRO is not PRO, PRO is now PRO, but what was PRO is now called Premium.
superLol :wink: