launchpad... what's happening on MIDI channel 3?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
depaffect

launchpad... what's happening on MIDI channel 3?

Post by depaffect » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:38 am

if you create a midi track and send the midi to the launchpad on channel 3, some strange things happen - every time you hit a key 2 pads light up, and if you keep doing this the lights add on and then wrap around (like text in a word processor). rather strange.. is this a hint of some cool feature i don't know about?

turrican

Re: launchpad... what's happening on MIDI channel 3?

Post by turrican » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 am

I don't know about that channel. I just wondered once when I wanted to start my notebook and I pressed the power button nothing happened but my launchpads started playing a firework animation. It just happened once.. Why would you send data to the launchpad(except the ones which are related to the controlsurface script)? Are you using it just with live? I'm asking because I'd like to watch the lights flashing if I'm playing in user-mode 1 a drum rack for instance.
Last edited by turrican on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:14 am

turrican wrote:I don't know about that channel. I just wondered once when I wanted to start my notebook and I pressed the power button nothing happened but my launchpads started playing a firework animation. It just happened once.. Why would you send data to the launchpad? Are you using it just with live? I'm asking because I'd like to watch the lights flashing if I'm playing in user-mode 1 a drum rack for instance.
I get the fireworks everytime i load up my comp

turrican

Post by turrican » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am

do I have to rout the midi back to the launchpad in order to get the pad flashing if a specific not is played? I imagine thats just with a virtual midiport possible, is it?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:10 pm

I want the firework, too :(
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

depaffect

Post by depaffect » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:16 pm

to get the fireworks, hold user1+user2+mixer and press DOWN

the guy in the shop showed me this when i bought it:)

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I get similar things when I have a midi-channel routing back to the Launchpad as described, no matter what channel I use. Buttons blink in manifold colours both on user1 and session view, which only stop when I switch to another mode (and back again). Happens once I hit a key on another MIDI device. I cannot believe this is by design...
Also, a strange thing happening, on some songs which actually have 7 instruments etc., the track on button of channel 7 appears as constantly switched on/switched off, though I am neither assigning the button to any MIDI control nor being nervous in the mixer mode :D . Seems to happen randomly, sometimes it stops, mostly it is flickering all the way. Anybody else having this truly great effect?
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

keithtalent

Post by keithtalent » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Froschfinger wrote:I get similar things when I have a midi-channel routing back to the Launchpad as described, no matter what channel I use. Buttons blink in manifold colours both on user1 and session view, which only stop when I switch to another mode (and back again). Happens once I hit a key on another MIDI device. I cannot believe this is by design...
If I understand what you are saying, I think this can be solved by setting the monitor back to auto (from on) on the midi channel that is routing the midi data back to the launchpad (to create the visual feedback on the pad itself). I set a button to toggle back and forth, and when I have the monitor set to auto I no longer get those additional lights while in session view. hope this makes sense.

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Just do not have my Live around at the moment - isn't monitoring automatically set to 'Auto' instead of 'On'? Think me as stupid... I will try tomorrow, thanks a bunch :).
When you lie?

littlelosthorse

Post by littlelosthorse » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:35 pm

depaffect wrote:to get the fireworks, hold user1+user2+mixer and press DOWN

Argh, I tried this but it just gets me to the automap options from live or shows/hides the options without live. No fireworks at all :(
*horse*

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm

littlelosthorse wrote:
depaffect wrote:to get the fireworks, hold user1+user2+mixer and press DOWN

Argh, I tried this but it just gets me to the automap options from live or shows/hides the options without live. No fireworks at all :(
Hold [session]+[user 1]+[user 2]+[mixer] and then [down/view], release [down/view] ensure to hold [session]+[user 1]+[user 2]+[mixer] until the fireworks launch... Happy LSD dreams! 8O

Proceed in the same manner to switch it off. Between each on/off cycle release and press [session]+[user 1]+[user 2]+[mixer] again before you press [down/view].

turrican

Post by turrican » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Have any of you guys routed back midi without getting feedback problems? If I open a miditrack and receive from the same LP-device than sending to (in order to get the userModes to flash) I get strange effects (surprise..). I will install now the automap midi port and try with this SW. Any ideas?
@Froschfinger: If you send some midi to your LP, do the pads flash relalable like described in the Launchpad_Programmers_Reference_Guide? If you send a specific noteOn to the LP f.i.?

turrican

Post by turrican » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:12 pm

god I'm stupid.. of course, I got to receive midi from an instrument to another which sends it back to the LP..

Froschfinger

Post by Froschfinger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:48 pm

keithtalent wrote: If I understand what you are saying, I think this can be solved by setting the monitor back to auto (from on) on the midi channel that is routing the midi data back to the launchpad (to create the visual feedback on the pad itself). I set a button to toggle back and forth, and when I have the monitor set to auto I no longer get those additional lights while in session view. hope this makes sense.
Unfortunately no. Neither "auto" nor "on" for monitoring on the midi-back channel wipes the crazy visual feedback that's coming from playing on a MIDI keyboard. In user1 mode I see only what I play. When switching to sesson mode, pads start blinking in all colours available, including the ones on the right beside the 8x8. They blink until I switch to another mode.....
When you lie?