launchpad question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rude_NHS

launchpad question

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:13 pm

on the apc 40 it seems you have a track select button that automatically assigns the 4 rotaries on the bottom right to what ever effect or instrument is in the chain, then you can toggle between others in the same chain.

does launchpad work like this?

LoopStationZebra

Re: launchpad question

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:17 pm

rude_NHS wrote:on the apc 40 it seems you have a track select button that automatically assigns the 4 rotaries on the bottom right to what ever effect or instrument is in the chain, then you can toggle between others in the same chain.

Not as far as automatically getting to the chain instruments or effects. You can program User1 or User 2 buttons to do that, however.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
rude_NHS wrote:on the apc 40 it seems you have a track select button that automatically assigns the 4 rotaries on the bottom right to what ever effect or instrument is in the chain, then you can toggle between others in the same chain.

Not as far as automatically getting to the chain instruments or effects. You can program User1 or User 2 buttons to do that, however.
it what sense? that i can program them to automactically assign the the chain in the choosen track? or just one track?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

rude_NHS wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

it what sense? that i can program them to automactically assign the the chain in the choosen track? or just one track?

Just one track. It's not 'intelligent' like the APC in that respect. But, depending on how you set it up, you can assign as many or few buttons to control chains on different tracks. For instance, you've got a track and there's 6 effects in your chain. You can assign 6 buttons on your top row of User2 to the range select.

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:50 pm

[/quote]

Just one track. It's not 'intelligent' like the APC in that respect. But, depending on how you set it up, you can assign as many or few buttons to control chains on different tracks. For instance, you've got a track and there's 6 effects in your chain. You can assign 6 buttons on your top row of User2 to the range select.[/quote]

hmmm. i really like launchpad, just for its price, size and convenience, but i'm really impressed by the navigation of the apc40.

oh the dilemma. bah.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 pm

rude_NHS wrote:

Just one track. It's not 'intelligent' like the APC in that respect. But, depending on how you set it up, you can assign as many or few buttons to control chains on different tracks. For instance, you've got a track and there's 6 effects in your chain. You can assign 6 buttons on your top row of User2 to the range select.

hmmm. i really like launchpad, just for its price, size and convenience, but i'm really impressed by the navigation of the apc40.

oh the dilemma. bah.
lol. I've dumped all my controllers except the LP. The only issue I have is that there's no interpolation between volume levels on the mixer side. Because of the buttons, volume is stepped of course. Would be nice to have an option for gradual change. Still, I'm in One Controller Bliss Mode, and that's not enough of an issue for me to drag out a piece of kit from storage, heh.
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 pm

rude_NHS wrote:

oh the dilemma. bah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1As9_wfnQU ...

gliiitches gliiitches gliiitches

Post by gliiitches gliiitches gliiitches » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:10 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:lol. I've dumped all my controllers except the LP. The only issue I have is that there's no interpolation between volume levels on the mixer side. Because of the buttons, volume is stepped of course. Would be nice to have an open for gradual change. Still, I'm in One Controller Bliss Mode, and that's not enough of an issue for me to drag out a piece of kit from storage, heh.
+1 to all of this.

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Zygi wrote:
rude_NHS wrote:

oh the dilemma. bah.
thats a good video for someone like me at this point. even buying the pair of them shaves 100 quid off the price of the apc.

i've always really liked novation and they're BRITISH! i've had a remote 25sl for years. great controller.

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:29 pm

rude_NHS wrote:
Zygi wrote:
rude_NHS wrote:

oh the dilemma. bah.
thats a good video for someone like me at this point. even buying the pair of them shaves 100 quid off the price of the apc.

i've always really liked novation and they're BRITISH! i've had a remote 25sl for years. great controller.
having said that, using the approach shown in that video still requires a great deal of viewing the screen whilst navigating, which i guess the apc40 makes rid of. i'm guessing also that kind of setup requires automap pro which i dont have, not yet anyway.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm

launchpad + nocturn = free automap pro

My guess is that you don't really need the APC, but the APC-Hype is all over your head. Nocturn + Launchpad does EXACTLY the same things as the APC itself. You can't eliminate looking at the screen without a lemur ;]

Ofc that depends on the kind of music you make, and on how complex your setup is. Ambient-ish stuff doesn't require looking at the screen all the time, but more melodic things?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Zygi wrote:You can't eliminate looking at the screen without a lemur ;]
Shouldn't that be: You can eliminate looking at the screen with anything but a lemur (-/dexter)

And already having a remote sl + getting a launchpad also = free automap pro http://www.novationmusic.com/news/article=28

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 pm

does anybody know the initial short cuts he's using for focus up and focus down? i cant seem to find them in the manual.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Dumb question, but are user1 and user2 progammable at all ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1