Best bang for your buck monitors

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
AceLuby

Best bang for your buck monitors

Post by AceLuby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm

I need a pair of monitors that will give me the best bang for my buck. I've been doing everything on headphones recently and I'm getting tired of it. I'd like for them to be powered and be pretty balanced. Size doesn't really matter, but I'd like to stick to a pair so I can just plug them directly into my interface and I really want to stress price. I can't come home w/ another $500 purchase that I can't afford.

So, what suggestions do you have?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

citizenchris099

Re: Best bang for your buck monitors

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:Adam A7s are rad

http://www.adam-audio.de/studio/nearfield/a7_data.htm
Those are out of my price range right now. Probably want to spend about half that.

ark

Post by ark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Haven't tried them personally, but I've heard good things about the Focal XS 2.1 satellite/subwoofer combo.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:56 pm

any reason you need the monitors right away?
the reason I'm asking is ...with monitors you really don't want to go for the cheap. sort of defeats the purpose for monitors to begin with. by many standards the A7s are "cheap" so if you want cheaper than that you are going to be sacrificing quality and it might better to wait till you can afford a better product.

CR78

Post by CR78 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... 2_Way.html

Fantastic inexpensive monitors: not big on bass but they do give have a very good, unflattered sound = truthful mix.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:any reason you need the monitors right away?
the reason I'm asking is ...with monitors you really don't want to go for the cheap. sort of defeats the purpose for monitors to begin with. by many standards the A7s are "cheap" so if you want cheaper than that you are going to be sacrificing quality and it might better to wait till you can afford a better product.
Yeah, you're probably right...

Guess that helps w/ my decision making then. Instead of a decent set of monitors I'm going to get a PA system so I can play some of the local bars instead.

Thanks for your help!

abort

Post by abort » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:50 pm

^^^those look ok but the specs didn't say anything about frequency response range, just watts?

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:01 pm

AceLuby wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:any reason you need the monitors right away?
Yeah, you're probably right...

Guess that helps w/ my decision making then. Instead of a decent set of monitors I'm going to get a PA system so I can play some of the local bars instead.

Thanks for your help!
I hope I didn't seem rude. I've been in the same boat and thanks to the advise of others was steered clear of a per-mature purchase of inferior monitors. Only to find that after having saved and purchased said A7s I was mocked for getting inferior monitors lol...go fig

SuperBassMexican

Post by SuperBassMexican » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Samson resolv 65a !!!!!!
apple macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 250GB, Presonus Firebox, Live 7 SWEET , Micron , LV2 , Padkontrol , Oxygen 8 , Korg Er-1 MK II , Juno 106 , Kaoss 3, Mackie 802

http://www.myspace.com/destroy281

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:53 pm

buy used. where do you live? maybe we can look at craigslist with you.

citizenchris099 wrote:I hope I didn't seem rude. I've been in the same boat and thanks to the advise of others was steered clear of a per-mature purchase of inferior monitors. Only to find that after having saved and purchased said A7s I was mocked for getting inferior monitors lol...go fig
who mocked you for getting A7s? that's dumb, great monitors.

what's up with your sig? are you Brainy Smurf? :lol:
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:buy used. where do you live? maybe we can look at craigslist with you.

citizenchris099 wrote:I hope I didn't seem rude. I've been in the same boat and thanks to the advise of others was steered clear of a per-mature purchase of inferior monitors. Only to find that after having saved and purchased said A7s I was mocked for getting inferior monitors lol...go fig
who mocked you for getting A7s? that's dumb, great monitors.

Minneapolis... I peruse the musician section often... but really if I need to spend $500 a speaker I think I'm better off getting a PA that I can play out with. I like playing out more than recording and mixing anyway. I was looking for inexpensive monitors to help calm the part of me that needs to get rid of the headphones. Now I know that I just need to save up.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm

JBL 4410 for for $395
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/m ... 60852.html

I've never heard them but that should be a nice bang for the buck.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Tone Deft wrote: who mocked you for getting A7s? that's dumb, great monitors.

an uber pro audio elitist...you know the type. couldn't tell you a thing about chord cadence but has to have the right gear and equipment. I could care less though cus they are awesome monitors.

as far as my sig...The Smurfs are rad and I pretty much am Brainy Smurf...for better and mostly worse lol.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: who mocked you for getting A7s? that's dumb, great monitors.

an uber pro audio elitist...you know the type. couldn't tell you a thing about chord cadence but has to have the right gear and equipment. I could care less though cus they are awesome monitors.
he's right and wrong. monitors are key, who cares what you do with Live if you're not hearing it correctly? then again, I remember when I was younger $400 for monitors was a sizable investment, I'm older now and have Adam A7s, I can afford to spend over $1k for monitors. the fun part of learning all this audio crap is knowing what's good and bad and knowing where to draw the line. also it's a world wide open forum, there are all kinds of people on here.

as far as my sig...The Smurfs are rad and I pretty much am Brainy Smurf...for better and mostly worse lol.
:lol: