SENDS and RETURNS on midi controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robsnolca

SENDS and RETURNS on midi controller?

Post by robsnolca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi all,

here's my situation, I mix, as in doing final mixes with Ableton. I have a BCF2000 controller.
I'm sick of using the mouse to control the sends. I don't want to assing a rotary knob for every single SEND on every track, but that is the only way that I seem to be able to control them.

What I want to do is:

For exmaple,

if I push button 1, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND A for tracks 1-8.
If I push button 2, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND B for tracks 1-8.

and so on....

is this possible? could somebody explain me how? please

don't re-direct me to another forum where people aren't even talking about this.
I would aprreciate the help. Cheers.

my controller: http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

sparklepuff

Re: SENDS and RETURNS on midi controller?

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:54 pm

robsnolca wrote:
don't re-direct me to another forum where people aren't even talking about this.
You should definitely add "PROS ONLY" to your title, you'll get better help that way.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:57 pm

this sounds like something bome's should be able to handle!?!

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Yup, you could use Bomes to this. Or, just thinking aloud, you can map one knob to many controls, so why not map knob1 to *all* of the sends on track 1 and then use the button mapping to toggle the mutes on utility devices on each return track.

robsnolca

Post by robsnolca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:24 pm

"you can map one knob to many controls, so why not map knob1 to *all* of the sends on track 1 and then use the button mapping to toggle the mutes on utility devices on each return track.[/quote]

errr. because I could never have different values on each SEND. SEND A, B, C will rotate together and hence keep the same value, not realistic on a mixdown.

thanks for the suggestion though.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

True... yes, so if you want it to behave as if they are separate knobs and jump to the new value when pressing the buttons, then something outside Live, like Bomes is your best bet...

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:36 pm

You can use a separate MIDI channel for each send set. That way you can keep only knobs 1-8 assigned and change channel for each set.

robsnolca

Post by robsnolca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Da hand wrote:You can use a separate MIDI channel for each send set. That way you can keep only knobs 1-8 assigned and change channel for each set.

This sound interesting, could you expand on this, please?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:53 pm

robsnolca wrote: if I push button 1, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND A for tracks 1-8.
If I push button 2, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND B for tracks 1-8.

and so on....

is this possible? could somebody explain me how? please
Should be no problem on bcf/bcr. the top row of encoders is actually 4 rows. Using the buttons below the lcd display you can switch between the groups, so you can set up 64 different midi messages (4x8 encoders + 4x8 buttons)
so set them up to send whatever CC's you want, then go to:
username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.0.8\Preferences\User Remote Scripts (on PC, don't know the exanct location on mac but it'll be something similar) read through the InstantMappings-HowTo.txt and follow the instructions (as the bcf allready has a native remote script, you might want to name your's bcf2000a or something like that to avoid confusion)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:49 pm

robsnolca wrote:
Da hand wrote:You can use a separate MIDI channel for each send set. That way you can keep only knobs 1-8 assigned and change channel for each set.

Sure. You can send MIDI information on 16 separate MIDI channels. Therefore, the same knob on a MIDI controller can be assigned to perform different tasks on different MIDI channels. When you assign a knob to a parameter in Ableton, you will see Ableton assign a number to the parameter - say 1/24. This means that you have assigned knob 24 on MIDI channel 1. If you change the MIDI channel to 2 on your controller and assign the same knob - you will see 2/24 on the parameter you assigned the knob to in Ableton...and so on.

So you can assign channel 1-8 Sends A to your controller's knobs 1-8 on MIDI channel 1. Then change MIDI channels on your controller to 2 and assign channel 1-8 Sends B to your controller's knobs 1-8 on MIDI channel 2. and so on.

Once you have it setup. You will simply change MIDI channels on your controller each time you want to change a Send set - from A to B for example.

robsnolca

Post by robsnolca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Da hand wrote:
robsnolca wrote:

Sure. You can send MIDI information on 16 separate MIDI channels. Therefore, the same knob on a MIDI controller can be assigned to perform different tasks on different MIDI channels. When you assign a knob to a parameter in Ableton, you will see Ableton assign a number to the parameter - say 1/24. This means that you have assigned knob 24 on MIDI channel 1. If you change the MIDI channel to 2 on your controller and assign the same knob - you will see 2/24 on the parameter you assigned the knob to in Ableton...and so on.

So you can assign channel 1-8 Sends A to your controller's knobs 1-8 on MIDI channel 1. Then change MIDI channels on your controller to 2 and assign channel 1-8 Sends B to your controller's knobs 1-8 on MIDI channel 2. and so on.

Once you have it setup. You will simply change MIDI channels on your controller each time you want to change a Send set - from A to B for example.

alrighty, this sounds good, but how do you make the same knob control several channels? I mean, cos on edit mode, you have to choose a channel but that's it, you only get to choose one channel, so how can I set the same knob to multiple channels?

once again thanks for the help.

Dropte

Post by Dropte » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:31 pm

Up! I'm looking to do something similar with my MIDI controller: whenever I click on a track then my controller knobs 1-8 would automatically sync to its 1-8 Return channels. I have 0 idea how to go about it…
Last edited by Dropte on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:39 pm

Great.... Go and google remotify and build a script that does that for your controller....

Cheers
D

Dropte

Post by Dropte » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:44 pm

That's actually exactly the tool I was looking for, thanks!