Any problems with having both live 7 and 8 installed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tim_is_superduper

Any problems with having both live 7 and 8 installed?

Post by tim_is_superduper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi guys,

I'm running live 8 on my MacBook Pro (using snow leopard), but i've got a collaboration with a band coming up who are running live 7 still. Does anyone have any advice or know of any problems with installing live 7 back on my laptop whilst also keeping live 8 installed?

It'll be simpler if I can use 7 for this project for compatibility but still use 8 for other stuff I'm already working on (and because 8 is better!). Can I just keep the live 7 library etc seperate from the 8 installation and avoid any conflicts?

Cheers, Tim

Tone Deft

Re: Any problems with having both live 7 and 8 installed?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:40 pm

no problems. I go back to Live 7 to help people who don't have 8 yet. totally separate installations.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ark

Post by ark » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:42 pm

I think you don't want to use the same library for both, because if you save something with Live 8, you won't be able to use it in Live 7.

tim_is_superduper

Post by tim_is_superduper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks chaps! Much appreciated - I'm just never 100% sure what gets stored where with installations so just wanted to make sure there weren't any catastrophic disasters lurking!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:16 pm

ark wrote:I think you don't want to use the same library for both, because if you save something with Live 8, you won't be able to use it in Live 7.
I don't think that's the case.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1014740
[nis] wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: Nico or anyone in the now - if we install a Live Pack with Live 8.1, would that content be readable by Live 8 or Live 7?

IOW are Live pack installations subject to being only forward compatible?

I'd try it out but shutter at the thought of screwing up my Library. my guess is that this isn't a problem but I rarely use older versions of Live. just curious.
Just like Live sets and presets, Live packs are not backwards-compatible, i.e. the Able10 packs will not work in Live 7. It might be possible to install them, but opening the set or the presets would not work. Note that projects created with 8.1 will not work in older Live 8 versions either.

Cheers,
n.
if there are new library components you installed for Live 8 you can't use them in Live 7 but standard library stuff is version agnostic.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tim_is_superduper

Post by tim_is_superduper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Yeh, that's what I thought too. I don't need any live 8 stuff to be backwards-compatible for this project (mainly imported samples from outside live anyway). I'll get away with just working in live 7 for this band thingy and maybe put it into 8 if I definitely know the band won't need it back in live 7 again. Amazing how many features of live 8 I will struggle without now though going back to 7 albeit for one project!

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm

No problems at all