How to play Impulse with a padKontrol?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AlexMC

How to play Impulse with a padKontrol?

Post by AlexMC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:26 pm

The Korg padKontrol works great as a Drum Rack controller using the factory scene 1 loaded; however I can't find any scenes which trigger Impulse... what am I doing wrong?

I have tried loading the padKontrol's Live preset scene but it doesn't work, either.

AlexMC

Re: How to play Impulse with a padKontrol?

Post by AlexMC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:19 pm

I should have added more information; I can play other instruments with the padKontrol; the track is armed for recording and monitor set to either Auto or In.

The Impulse device is loaded up with a preset from the rack, and I can play each pad by clicking with the mouse...

channelite

Post by channelite » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:16 pm

I'm going to guess that the pads you are using are the lower note numbers. Impluse pads begin around note 60 and the default C1 pad on the pad kontrol is number 36. An easy way to find the first impluse pad on the pad kontrol is to edit one pad, keep turning the pad kontrol knob until you hit the first impluse sound. Then add one more note for the following drum. Then save that scene in the PK for future use.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:22 am

impulse takes only white keys (natural notes), prepare special preset for pK, or use scale efect which skips black ones.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:29 am

pK comes with the manual. Read it. It offers great tips about other features that pK has to offer, that will blow your mind.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

AlexMC

Post by AlexMC » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:41 pm

channelite wrote:I'm going to guess that the pads you are using are the lower note numbers. Impluse pads begin around note 60 and the default C1 pad on the pad kontrol is number 36. An easy way to find the first impluse pad on the pad kontrol is to edit one pad, keep turning the pad kontrol knob until you hit the first impluse sound. Then add one more note for the following drum. Then save that scene in the PK for future use.
Thanks for your help - of course I can send out whatever MIDI notes I want with the padKontrol, bt I wasn't sure what notes the Impulse device expects to see. Is there an obvious way of dinding this out within Live?
pK comes with the manual. Read it. It offers great tips about other features that pK has to offer, that will blow your mind.
Eh... not quite so helpful! I've only had the padKontrol for a week, and whilst I am finding my way around, sometimes it's ok to ask for help, I think!

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:18 pm

AlexMC wrote:
Eh... not quite so helpful! I've only had the padKontrol for a week, and whilst I am finding my way around, sometimes it's ok to ask for help, I think!
That's a week you've had to read the manual.. We know it's fun to play.. but if you're asking about basic stuff maybe it's a good idea to take a peek at the manual before you dive in.

AlexMC

Post by AlexMC » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:52 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
AlexMC wrote:
That's a week you've had to read the manual.. We know it's fun to play.. but if you're asking about basic stuff maybe it's a good idea to take a peek at the manual before you dive in.
What I was after was the note numbers which trigger Impulse. I've now found it on page 339 of the Live manual, i.e. C3 to C4. That's not in the padKontrol manual...

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:49 pm

AlexMC wrote:
No, I meant really, that's why I didn't put RTFM. But to make up, here's a tip for you: get a sustain pedal, plug it into pedal plug hole, press setting/pedal/note, adjust the note to the slot containing kick drum in your drum rack or impulse device= you got yourself a kick that you can kick.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:57 am

AlexMC wrote: What I was after was the note numbers which trigger Impulse. I've now found it on page 339 of the Live manual, i.e. C3 to C4. That's not in the padKontrol manual...
Did you not read the Live manual first either? Maybe I'm the one that's off & likes to flip through that stuff before getting dirty with the software/hardware.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 am

the quickest and easiest way to change the pad assignments is with the padkontrol editor librarian app. i did it the other night and it only took a few minutes.
..... . . . . . . . . .

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:57 am

btw- this forum has become much more RTFM-oriented in recent years. there are more advanced users here than ever, and people tend to forget what it's like to start out.

throwing an easy-to-answer question out to a forum is a perfectly resourceful and reasonable thing to do.
..... . . . . . . . . .

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:03 am

dm_hawk wrote:btw- this forum has become much more RTFM-oriented in recent years. there are more advanced users here than ever, and people tend to forget what it's like to start out.

throwing an easy-to-answer question out to a forum is a perfectly resourceful and reasonable thing to do.
Right.. and I'm sure this topic hasn't been covered before either..

One might contend that a reasonable and resourceful thing to do is try the search function:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... padkontrol

Not trying to be an ass (honest) - but it's not like this info isn't able to find with a 2-5min search of the forums.. let alone live's manual.

It's easier to ask a question and wait for answers tho.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am

cotdagoo wrote:
dm_hawk wrote:btw- this forum has become much more RTFM-oriented in recent years. there are more advanced users here than ever, and people tend to forget what it's like to start out.

Right.. and I'm sure this topic hasn't been covered before either..

One might contend that a reasonable and resourceful thing to do is try the search function:

Not trying to be an ass (honest) - but it's not like this info isn't able to find with a 2-5min search of the forums.. let alone live's manual.

It's easier to ask a question and wait for answers tho.
If you don't like a post, don't answer it.
..... . . . . . . . . .