automation timing accuracy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kayhel

Re: automation timing accuracy

Post by kayhel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 pm

[nis] wrote:Hi folks, automation data are not (and have never been) delay-compensated in Live. We know that this isn't an ideal solution, but that's the way it is right now. There are however several PDC improvements planned for future versions, so this is likely going to change one day. I can't promise anything, though (as always).

Best,
Nico
Hi Ableton Guys,
if automation and metering is out of sync, that's a bug and the product is unusable. sorry. Pls. tell me which concrete plans there are to fix this. Otherwise i would like to stand back from my
contract. Bought it before 1 month and thought i'm too stupid to do it correctly. :? But it's the program. I still think this is kind of an April Joke?!

The other big/same price DAWs do handle this correctly, this is not a feature but basic functionality. Are there any Synths out where MIDI Controller data is processed with a delay of > 500ms, depending on the song setup...) Any mixing consoles out that have out of sync meters? What should be the purpose of a meter that is out of sync?
cheers
Kay
Bitwig 1.0, Live8 Suite Boxed, Studio One Professional, Melodyne Assistant
Komplete Ultimate, Sylenth, Ozone5

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:52 pm

kayhel wrote:
[nis] wrote:Hi folks, automation data are not (and have never been) delay-compensated in Live. We know that this isn't an ideal solution, but that's the way it is right now. There are however several PDC improvements planned for future versions, so this is likely going to change one day. I can't promise anything, though (as always).

Best,
Nico
Hi Ableton Guys,
if automation and metering is out of sync, that's a bug and the product is unusable. sorry. Pls. tell me which concrete plans there are to fix this. Otherwise i would like to stand back from my
contract. Bought it before 1 month and thought i'm too stupid to do it correctly. :? But it's the program. I still think this is kind of an April Joke?!

The other big/same price DAWs do handle this correctly, this is not a feature but basic functionality. Are there any Synths out where MIDI Controller data is processed with a delay of > 500ms, depending on the song setup...) Any mixing consoles out that have out of sync meters? What should be the purpose of a meter that is out of sync?
cheers
Kay

ableton has reinvented the pattern mode.. while all other daws have abandoned it to be more accesable for non electronic musicans.. But production styles mooved closer to electronic music and all of a sudden the possible workflows in ableton live was so desirable that peopüle even bought it with all the limitations..

so ableton has taken that for granted and was riding on that "we are allowed to be inferior state", and invetsted theire development time in unique and rather non daw style features as max integration..fx and isntrument racks.. better controler integrations..

But stayed inferior in all other daw´s regards..
each new daw feature only implemented half developed to expand on it later..
nothing ever finsihed.

So its an easy decission..do you need the patternstyle or fx rack/onstr rack or max intergartion? than you wont have an option..

do you just want to record and produce along the timeline?
than use a real dedicated daw and enjoy not only sample precise automations but a much better sound quality aswell..

For the future of ableton it looks a bit questionable if the can keep going like that..

on the one hand the initial purpose of the program to be a stage tool has been undermined by all the stability issues.. and actual total ignorance on needs like syncing to others...

there are workarounds for not delay compensated automation..but there are no workarounds for unstabilitys of any kind...

on the other hand they are still far behind the others daw´s in regards of production precission and comfort..

so which way shall they go? keeping it like that beeing in the middle of the road just will rise the gap towards the ideal on each side..

and..

seeing the amount of years involved.. compared to what was achived..
with the amount of achivement others have made in 8 years, shows a divert picture..

on the one side wee cann say logic and cubase havent improoved very drastical in the last 8 years..

but when you compare the first 8 years on the daw market between all the companies ableton has the one of the slowest developmemts..
actually only potools beats them there...
however they have developed a lot..just compromissing in all directions what is clouding a bit the immage.. in general they are close to be good on either side of the plate.. just wright now?

not really usayble..i agree.. of cause you can produce with it.. but that applys to garage band aswell
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:31 pm

just want to say.... and calm you down a bit... last time I checked cubase it had the same automation pdc problem...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

ia m totaly calmed down.. dont need automation..- only deff people dare to mix in live...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:40 pm

So this does not apply to ableton devices?

Presumably these have latency too, which must be calculated, so you'd hope it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to do it for other plugins. But I guess there are issues and complexities here that aren't immediately obvious.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:54 am

that's interesting.

recently another user (Laura_live) noticed this on Pans.

Im myseflf was totally stunned it wasn't latency compensated, but the worst thing for me was to not have spoted this before myself.

I was so worried i gaves some tests and was happy to discover that in session view this doesn't seem to apply. If drawing modulations,

even at 4096 samples buffers, the 'automation' (modulation) stay in sync.

ok so that explain why i never noticed it, i only work in session, never in arrangement, that saved me here...

but how the hell people working in arrangement never figured that out, now that's quite impressive imo ...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 am

Other DAWS are in the same position re PDC and automation, Live is not exclusive in this regard.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:12 am

Hi (electronic) Musicians,

don't get me wrong, i really appreciate how song production works in live. Even in classical DAW i always had the first 8 beats reserved for the patterns i use in my arrangement. Live is way more intuitive in this and i like how you are able to come from session to the final song via dragging/dropping the parts from session into the arrangement.
I just want to share my workstyle here - maybe someone has some comments on how to deal better.

Some assumptions:
1. CPU is never sufficient, i need to freeze tracks
2. I'm heavily sidechaining - and i have to say that live has no limitation on sound pressure when using many instruments, it's always a matter of right compression...
3. I use a lot of 3rd party plugins - that are increasing latency

Ok - everything starts with the setup
- Miditracks for kick, sd, hh, and the various percussions/toms/fx
- Miditracks for lead synth, seq. chords and pads
- Audiotracks for Vocals
- reference Track for a reference audio track (to save time on arranging and have a listening comparison)
- therefor i need to have another "my master" audio track which contains all the mastering plugins. (cant put it on the normal master because the reference track would also use my mastering plugins on top) - this "my master" is replacing the "master" destination for all my tracks
- hh and perc need to be kick sidechain compressed, so i need to group them and put the sidechain on the group - otherwise i cannot freeze the drum tracks because a sidechain does add a reference to a track which makes them unfreezable
- same applies to all the synth tracks, here i also need an additional sidechain from the vocals which automatically lowers the volume. That saves a lot of work with volume automation, esp. bec. volume automation is not delay compensated... So i have groups for stakkato synths and legato synths and apply different sidechaining on these groups.
- All the drums need to be dynamic processed again, but they are already grouped, right? So i create an audio track, put monitor to "in" and route the drum groups to it. This audio track uses several 3rd party dyn/drum mastering plugins.
- The synth groups, the additional drum group and the vocal group flow into the "my master" track. "My master" and "reference track" flow into "master".

That is how i setup all the other DAWs as well and i really like the way of streamlining mastering work on this setup.

When i have some nice parts programmed, i record the vocals. (Which either are in sync using monitor off or out of sync using monitor in/auto, but the monitoring is done outside live with an external mixer, so that's not a problem...)

Now, in session mode i warp the audio (vocals) so they fit perfectly to the beat. Unfortenately i cannot find the sung "words" in the audio, because the position locator is way before the audible sound that comes out of live... It creates headaches.

From session Mode i drag the parts to the arrangement and while looping the next phrase in the arrangement i add or alter some tracks in the session view until i am satisfied, then drag it again into the arrangement.

After arranging i need to apply the long term automation (sweeps, vol. changes etc.) which cannot happen on the parts in session mode.
But as all meters are out of sync + the pos. locator way ahead of time, i cannot finetune the arrangement, it takes forever. Not talking of the out of sync, non delay compensated automation.....

Finally i adjust the mastering fx. And need to adjust automation again, because most likely i have changes on the latency of the plugins.

Any suggestions?
Do i do something which is not intended? :?:
How do you arrange, mix and master your songs in live?

thx
cheers
Kay

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:50 am

The question is, why should this affect offline rendered audio?

According to Laura_Live here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152423, the automation timing is OK when tracks are flattened first. What's the functional difference between flattening and rendering? There shouldn't be any...

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:37 pm

massenmedium wrote:The question is, why should this affect offline rendered audio?

According to Laura_Live here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152423, the automation timing is OK when tracks are flattened first. What's the functional difference between flattening and rendering? There shouldn't be any...
see my answer here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1212088

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Yes, if I understand what you're saying kayhel then realy that bit's obvious. There is latency, and it's not compensated for. OK.

What I mean there is that according to Laura_live it works fine if the track is flattened first before rendering. So I guess the latency compensation is calculated correctly on a track by track basis but doesn't work when rendering as a whole.

kayhel

Post by kayhel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 pm

I just think that flattening removes the delay from the plugins completely. So it's not that the delay compensation is working, but that you are happy having a track with a zero latency. Add some delaying plugins to the master and the sync problem is back...

cheers
Kay

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

.....another hidden "surprise" bug or "feature" in Live :(

I just dont get it, why does Ableton not see theese things?

Really a pain......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm

another reason to switch to Logic; cant dj on it without it crashing, cant accuratly record or mix now. Is there any actual use for ableton now other than a toy?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Since it's been so long since Live 8 came out, I guess that Ableton is working on the fabled ground-up re-write of the software, so hopefully all these semi-related bugs will finally get fixed. If, on the other hand, Live 9 just has a bunch of extra gadgets and crap and continues to avoid the fundamental problems of the last decade....I'll most definitely be saving my upgrade money and looking elsewhere. The fanboy stage is long dead for me, and the software is becoming more and more of a hindrance for production.