automation timing accuracy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
depaffect

automation timing accuracy

Post by depaffect » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:14 am

i've always had this problem with ableton over the years i've used it (version 7 and 8), and on different computers

automation always seems to be out a *bit* in the arrangement view. usually it's a bit too early; say 30 ms or so. annoying when you're trying to do things rhythmically, eg gating style effects

in the controller/modulation lane of clips it's pretty much spot-on though

is this a known issue?

edit(sorry this should be in support subforum)

timothyallan

Re: automation timing accuracy

Post by timothyallan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 am

it's always seemed bang on for me, do you have plugin delay compensation on?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

I think the automation in arrange view is not delay compensated, which makes it early. Sucks.

ciw

Post by ciw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm

yup i've always found this as well, assumed it was something like that.

would be good if they fixed it.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm

I have been crying myself to sleep for years now because the automation totally screws up my work as it is not delay-compensated. When I have a sharp envelopes on a project that I wish to be "on the beat" I need to move them back and forth constantly when I add/remove plugins in the track chain.

I think it is so incredibly lame that it that the envelopes are not where they seem to be, you have to listen by ear where they actually are ... and fix them again if u make any changes.

Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 am

does anyone know if this is scheduled as a bug fix? for the type of music I do having automation to happen exactly when it is supposed to is essential.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:53 am

Toby Emerson wrote:does anyone know if this is scheduled as a bug fix? for the type of music I do having automation to happen exactly when it is supposed to is essential.

Do they know about the bug yet? you know they usualy dont find them without user support..
They dont have the time to check all the shit themself

Be proud.. you own a bug now.. it will cary your name and all bugs that emerge from the fix will be related to you aswell

Now you only have to proove its exsitence otherwise no one will belive you..

So do a demonstration set that prooves the exsistence of the bug and they will fix it in no time..

Thats what responsible users are supposed to do..

Maybe draw automation on white noise and bounce it to another track.. the result should show your delay

:-) jusz joking.. fixing in no time..pfff.. but now with the thread in the main forum ..you never know
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 am

The key to this is the "Plugin Buffer Size" setting, in the CPU pane of the preferences... set this to 32 (as low as it will go) and this will keep automation latency as small as it can possibly get... If your CPU can't deal with it during playback then leave it where it is while working on the project, and then set it to 32 just before bouncing.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:09 am

Ohhh, i dunno about that. I have a few plugins that shit themselves and cause all sorts of subtle distortion issues when you set it to something other than the default. Took me a few hours or mucking around to narrow it down to that.

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 pm

timothyallan wrote:Ohhh, i dunno about that. I have a few plugins that shit themselves and cause all sorts of subtle distortion issues when you set it to something other than the default. Took me a few hours or mucking around to narrow it down to that.
really? any examples?

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 pm

as an aside does nayone notice that volume levels in live vary at playback when in arrange?

I look at a kick using somehting like free5 from sonalksis and the peak and rms levels vary during different playbacks without changing anything. There are no lfo's on the track or anything likje that.

This happens with a simple kick drum for example. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:07 pm

^Do you have fades turned on for those clips? I was noticing something similar once and discovered it was caused by the fade button being turned on automatically. This was several versions back, before arrangement crossfades were around...

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 pm

I have been annoyed by the this for years ... After there is enough plugins and routings etc etc the envelope is always out of sync ! It would be pretty frikking nice if they would find a way around this...

Px

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 pm

+10000000000!
The meters are also out of sync.

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 am

Yeah, I've noticed this on a few occasions too - very annoying!

Has there been any previous acknowledgement of this from anyone at Ableton?