A delete clip button: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Reyn Ouwehand

Re: A delete clip button: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Post by Reyn Ouwehand » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:39 am

Yip, delete button is what's missing..

Cheers,

Reyn Ouwehand

www.reyn.net
www.reyn.net

instagram/facebook/youtube: reynmusician

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:35 pm

chrishobsonmedia wrote:While am at it, as far as the Launchpad goes, in the 1st promo video, where the hell are they getting the functionality for the user modes. The guy is trigger notes, with visual feedback, and then he seams to be switching instruments with the bottom row which toggle red. Also, where is this MFL sequencer plugin for the Launchpad? Novation said they were going to let you download it, but now I can’t find it anymore?
Would be nice if they showed us how they did the promo video (and not just by providing the shot from above).
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:07 pm

I use a usb keypad with Controllermate to provide Delete along with undo, redo, duplicate, copy, cut, paste, shift + tab, create midi clip, metronome, tap tempo, regular arrows that turn into alt + arrow when Num Lock is on...etc.

nikim5g

Post by nikim5g » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 am

spacecat wrote:thx 3dot, u rock=)
i would agree
this answered the question i had, thanks

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 am

If you use "Select on Launch" you can delete the clip after it has been made into a full loop, because you'd have selected it in the act of making the clip.. As long as you don' do ANYTHING else after that..

It'd be nice to have button to hold down, then press the clip you want to delete to get rid of it..

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:22 am

outershpongolia wrote:It'd be nice to have button to hold down, then press the clip you want to delete to get rid of it..

This is the kind of integration that Maschine is rocking... hope to see more of it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 am

:roll: stop hitting wrong notes.

didn't you see the 'Professional' on the box when you bought it?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 pm

+ 1 on the clip delete function - mainly for live looping.

It's been bugging me for ages...

Cheers,
bagginz

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

delicioso wrote:I use a usb keypad with Controllermate to provide Delete along with undo, redo, duplicate, copy, cut, paste, shift + tab, create midi clip, metronome, tap tempo, regular arrows that turn into alt + arrow when Num Lock is on...etc.
Since I've read this, bought a wireless Number Pad and programmed some script with Autohotkey I can do almost everything I ever dreamed of - without any more cables and with a flexibility so great I'm glad about it everyday. Launchpad + Numpad = :D
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 pm

tom.luft wrote:
delicioso wrote:I use a usb keypad with Controllermate to provide Delete along with undo, redo, duplicate, copy, cut, paste, shift + tab, create midi clip, metronome, tap tempo, regular arrows that turn into alt + arrow when Num Lock is on...etc.
Since I've read this, bought a wireless Number Pad and programmed some script with Autohotkey I can do almost everything I ever dreamed of - without any more cables and with a flexibility so great I'm glad about it everyday. Launchpad + Numpad = :D
thats a neet idea.. to bad that it eats n usb port... are there bluetooth devices out thee that could be abuse as controlers?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 am

Indeed. Searching at google leads to several bluetooth devices, for example from Microsoft.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:49 pm

The logitech numpad 3phase mentioned looks better since it looks like it has 25 keys.

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 am

This is a GREAT thread - everyone has something good to add except tone deft - who is apparently a professional (with a $200 launchpad instead of a monome or something similar - no comment there...)

I'm just about to jump on a Logitech N305 Keypad + Controllermate, but I have to ask- HOW is the delete functionality performed? could someone who has this setup on their machine please describe the steps to me like this:

1. Assign "Delete" to keypad button "1"
2. Press and hold keypad button "1", then press the live clip to be deleted

I'm SURE it's not as simple as that because pressing the delete key would delete the currently selected live clip...

Does this mean that I have to LAUNCH the clip, (with "select on launch" turned on) THEN I can delete it? cos it seems like it's still not perfect if you have to launch each clip before deleting it! or copying... And how do you paste correctly?

Info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

(Answer me that if you're so 'pro' tone deft! :-P)
Using Ableton for Composing/Remixing/DJing
Macbook 2.26GHz/8GB/500GB/7200rpm/OSX Lion
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad
Reloop 10tion - Behringer Truth 1030A's - Sennheiser HD280's
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 - Automap Pro 3.7
http://soundcloud.com/jbainesy

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah, I'm not getting how you guys are "loving" the delete button....

Are you using arrow keys also when deleting clips rather than hitting a button on the launchpad and then hitting delete? if so - this only works when the focus stays on the grid, correct? if I mess around with an audio loop or a instrument or effect, then the focus from the grid is lost unless I click on it again to give it focus - how is it that you're getting all this functionality? or am i asking too much and you DO actually have to click on the grid after making any other tweaks which need to be made?

Just tried it out using automap to assign delete, copy and paste to three buttons on my controller, but unless i also use arrow keys instead of the launchpad to select the clip I want to delete, copy or paste I have to wait for the clip to launch before I can do so - meaning that I have a 1 bar delay between each action (depending on quantisation)
Using Ableton for Composing/Remixing/DJing
Macbook 2.26GHz/8GB/500GB/7200rpm/OSX Lion
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad
Reloop 10tion - Behringer Truth 1030A's - Sennheiser HD280's
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 - Automap Pro 3.7
http://soundcloud.com/jbainesy

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 am

With Clyphx you can assign a clip to delete others.
I think (haven't looked too deeply) it is restrictive in the sense that you must assign a clip slot and channel to delete from, so it's not a universal DELETE per se, but if you are loop recording in the same slot every time as I am then it works very well