Streaming Ableton output online?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
marcoskohler
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:13 am

Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 am

What would be the easiest way to stream a DJ set live over internet radio? One of my friends from College has a server, and she wants DJ's to sign up for certain slots and DJ from home, etc. I haven't asked her what software SHE plans to use, but what is the best way to capture Ableton output and stream it to a server?


I am on Snow Leopard.

aeon_flux
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by aeon_flux » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 am

you can use any streaming software, just install soundflower, set it as your "out" card on live's master, and as "in" sound source in streaming software.

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

4/4
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by 4/4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:43 am

at some point you should ask yourself if there is anything to gain by going Live. Even if you're trying to hone your djing skills, you can pre-record a liveset at home/in the studio and broadcast the recording.

Sometimes there's just no good reason to jump over some technical hurdles.
Image

PEAVLEY
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 am
Location: london ,England

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by PEAVLEY » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am

I'd love to stream my live guitar in live to jam with other musicians .I've tried DML (DIGITAL MUSICIAN)but gotten nowhere.

aeon_flux
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by aeon_flux » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 am

PEAVLEY wrote:I'd love to stream my live guitar in live to jam with other musicians .I've tried DML (DIGITAL MUSICIAN)but gotten nowhere.
latency on internet is too big - jamming is rather impossible no matter what tool you will use.

squelcht
Posts: 1896
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am
Location: QC, NC
Contact:

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by squelcht » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm

aeon_flux wrote:
PEAVLEY wrote:I'd love to stream my live guitar in live to jam with other musicians .I've tried DML (DIGITAL MUSICIAN)but gotten nowhere.
latency on internet is too big - jamming is rather impossible no matter what tool you will use.
this is damn true...still waiting for a break-thru however

PEAVLEY
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 am
Location: london ,England

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by PEAVLEY » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I'd agree that latency would be a problem,if I was trying to jam with someone in US and me in blighty.Surely though,with optic fibres it should be possible in a certain radius.

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by ethios4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

4/4 wrote:at some point you should ask yourself if there is anything to gain by going Live. Even if you're trying to hone your djing skills, you can pre-record a liveset at home/in the studio and broadcast the recording.

Sometimes there's just no good reason to jump over some technical hurdles.
Because its the only way a musician should be able to earn a living? :wink:

aeon_flux
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by aeon_flux » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 pm

PEAVLEY wrote:with optic fibres it should be possible in a certain radius.
true if there will be no internet on the way. :)

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:32 pm

ethios4 wrote:
4/4 wrote:at some point you should ask yourself if there is anything to gain by going Live. Even if you're trying to hone your djing skills, you can pre-record a liveset at home/in the studio and broadcast the recording.

Sometimes there's just no good reason to jump over some technical hurdles.
Because its the only way a musician should be able to earn a living? :wink:

boing!
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

4/4
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by 4/4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:40 pm

You two fairies obviously don't know the difference between a GIG and a BROADCAST.
Not to mention the fact OP's broadcast is obviously FREE. (But I'll mention it anyway)
Image

elementv
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:36 am

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by elementv » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Max for live will definitely make this possible. Not that I can confirm, but in Max alone it is possible.

marcoskohler
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:13 am

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

4/4 wrote:at some point you should ask yourself if there is anything to gain by going Live. Even if you're trying to hone your djing skills, you can pre-record a liveset at home/in the studio and broadcast the recording.

Sometimes there's just no good reason to jump over some technical hurdles.

Prerecording a set and then just playing it isn't as sexy...plus, I know if I approach it that way, I will spend more time post-set fixing any mistakes and automation stuff. I rather have it stream live so I can practice and make sure I am constantly getting better...I figured soundflower + stream software would be the answer...I wasn't sure if there was a particular package of software people preferred. Thanks guys.

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by ethios4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm

4/4 wrote:You two fairies obviously don't know the difference between a GIG and a BROADCAST.
Not to mention the fact OP's broadcast is obviously FREE. (But I'll mention it anyway)
Hahaha, yea I thought I had you there for a minute. You make a good point...OP could pre-record the set and just play the file to get past technical hurdles. :P

riccardo909
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:47 am

Re: Streaming Ableton output online?

Post by riccardo909 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 am

i've installed soundflower and i've set it but what software should i use to be a server?!

Post Reply