There will never be another legacy artist

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

There will never be another legacy artist

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:42 am

Given today's music industry and fan's short attention span, name one artist, band, or DJ that came out in the last 5 years that will still be packing arenas 30 years from now.

aisling

Re: There will never be another legacy artist

Post by aisling » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:08 am

:cry: you raise a very valid, and tragic (or pathetic) point.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 am

I will!!!

wait.. i guess not :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 am

crock o' shit.

any artist that came out in the last 5 years might maybe have 2 albums out. how many bands play stadiums 5 years after they're formed? any answer to this could only be met with "nah, they're nothing."

beats you're just getting old. I wouldn't ask this of a 35 year old, I'd ask a teenager or college kid. it's difficult to think of a band that's truly only 5 years old. I'd say any of them, you just never know. Weezer, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, Green Day and others are still alive and kicking. the Cure put out an album last year, Morrissey put one out last month.

fuck DJ worship, I hope in 30 years, no 5 years DJ worship dies. how many DJs have even lasted 30 years?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 am

Tone Deft wrote:
fuck DJ worship, I hope in 30 years, no 5 years DJ worship dies.
Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play

The Smiths - Panic

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:33 am

im gonna go out on a limb here and say Lady GaGa.. she has the makings of another Madonna..

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:41 am

Tone Deft wrote:crock o' shit.

any artist that came out in the last 5 years might maybe have 2 albums out. how many bands play stadiums 5 years after they're formed? any answer to this could only be met with "nah, they're nothing."

beats you're just getting old. I wouldn't ask this of a 35 year old, I'd ask a teenager or college kid. it's difficult to think of a band that's truly only 5 years old. I'd say any of them, you just never know. Weezer, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, Green Day and others are still alive and kicking. the Cure put out an album last year, Morrissey put one out last month.

fuck DJ worship, I hope in 30 years, no 5 years DJ worship dies. how many DJs have even lasted 30 years?
This isn't about being out of touch or "I don't understand kids and their music today." This is the changing music industry and people getting access to more and more constantly and having a short attention span. When we were growing up all we had access to was what radio forced on us and what we saw if we ventured out to the local scene. Now people have access to 1,000 times that without leaving the house or listening to the radio.

Same can be said about the movie industry and how comparatively short a time frame even a successful movie goes from theater release to television debut and then distant memory.

I just threw DJ in there because a lot of people on here are about DJs and DJing. It's that moment in history.

abort

Post by abort » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 am

beats me wrote:Given today's music industry and fan's short attention span, name one artist, band, or DJ that came out in the last 5 years that will still be packing arenas 30 years from now.
I posted the same thought two weeks ago. ...I don't know where this is all going, I don't know.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:56 am

nuxnamon wrote:im gonna go out on a limb here and say Lady GaGa.. she has the makings of another Madonna..
OOoo, good call. I think I agree. Will be interesting to see how she gets on.

Another I can think of would be Muse.(slightly older than 5 years i know, but not by much)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:10 pm

that statement is just wrong.

necho

Post by necho » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

UKRuss wrote: Another I can think of would be Muse.(slightly older than 5 years i know, but not by much)
+ 1

Muse are the only band I can imagine seeing live in 30 years time
_________
sigs suck.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 pm

necho wrote:
UKRuss wrote: Another I can think of would be Muse.(slightly older than 5 years i know, but not by much)
+ 1

Muse are the only band I can imagine seeing live in 30 years time
They've been going 15 years already and have just turned officially rubbish with their last album... still, apparently they have 30 years to get decent again... :wink:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm

UKRuss wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:im gonna go out on a limb here and say Lady GaGa.. she has the makings of another Madonna..
OOoo, good call. I think I agree. Will be interesting to see how she gets on.

Another I can think of would be Muse.(slightly older than 5 years i know, but not by much)
Well 7 years is a bit much in this context. Muse has been around for over 11 years.

Edit.. Ah 15 years then..

Sounds like anybody willing to even start this topic has got to read "Outliers" first.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 pm

15 years?? really?

Well, in that case they'll be far too old in 30 years time.

So we'll be left with the surviving members of Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and U2 all who will be kept alive artificially to preserve stadium rock.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

beats me wrote:Given today's music industry and fan's short attention span, name one artist, band, or DJ that came out in the last 5 years that will still be packing arenas 30 years from now.
NO ONE! and thats GOOD!

music is about the music not about some bunch of ageing rockers banging out the same tunes for 30 years. I say all music should be faceless and nameless. It should just exists on a radio station with no Djs and never plays the same song twice