There will never be another legacy artist

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
citizenchris099

Re: There will never be another legacy artist

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Tone Deft wrote: there's a 15 year old kid on the forum looking to spend a pile of money on Live and keyboards. maybe the world would be better off if he spent it on a Les Paul and Marshall stack like the same kid would have done in the 80s, be a musician rather than a scene launching DJ.
said 15 year old kid also doesn't see the point of adding a music keyboard midi controller to said purchase....even asked what the difference was between a music keyboard and a launchpad. Now I'm not here to insult this young man. He could be the next Brian Wilson for all I know. My point is this....we are now verging on the a second generation of kids who want to make music w/o ever bothering to learn anything about....well music. It's like wanting to be a race car driver and not knowing how to drive and not really understanding why you need to even know how to drive. Should you be able to discuss micro tonality and chromaticism to have fun with Ableton (or any music software for that matter) in a word...no. Though it is software for making and performing music....so maybe you should like...you know....learn a bit about music.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
beats me wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:there's a 15 year old kid on the forum looking to spend a pile of money on Live and keyboards. maybe the world would be better off if he spent it on a Les Paul and Marshall stack like the same kid would have done in the 80s, be a musician rather than a scene launching DJ.
no, because most of the kids will still create crap, no matter what instrumetns and tools you give to them. but they might have fun, which is great (music is about having fun in the end, espencially music making).

and some kids will do great stuff with it, and they will be famous, 10 or 20 years from now on.

do we remember the MILLIONS of bands that existed back in the days?! i bet every 2nd or 3rd kid was in some form of band since music got popular. most of them never got anywhere, but that doesn't matter. and this won't change, now that they create music differently.

'bands' are something strange and new anyways. ask your grand parents.. :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:37 pm

davepermen wrote:no, because most of the kids will still create crap, no matter what instrumetns and tools you give to them. but they might have fun, which is great (music is about having fun in the end, espencially music making).
disagree. they'll create tarnce or 'DJ' and they won't learn a damn thing about music.

Live can be a tool to elevate music, or it can be a tool so any retard can 'make' music. it's not just Live, Reaper, Fruity Loops, Logic, all those programs make it damn simple to make music with no effort or creativity.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:41 pm

blabla. you just don't like that style of music, that's all. i like trance, and i like to dj. doesn't mean i don't learn a damn thing about music. actually, thanks to live i've learned more than during my 12 years of playing guitar, partially in a band, too.

and the main point still holds: almost all of the kids that dive into music will completely fail. be it with an instrument, be it with a band, be it as a dj, be it with electronic stuff, be it with what ever they use. but some won't, and they will get big. and that's one reason, why most try it. the other is fun, which everyone will have.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

or formulated different: it doesn't matter what starts your interest. it's how you evolve with it. most don't. some do. it was ALWAYS that way.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Goddamn! what a bunch of Jaded Negative Nancy's on this board. You sound like a bunch of bitter old whiny twats.

Did you guys also walk up hill both ways in the snow to school with no shoes when you were kids?

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Lighten up, bust a nut and get over yourselves. The rest of the world is obviously over you.

/rant.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

d-track

Post by d-track » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:49 pm

never was
Last edited by d-track on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:50 pm

davepermen wrote:blabla. you just don't like that style of music, that's all. i like trance, and i like to dj. doesn't mean i don't learn a damn thing about music. actually, thanks to live i've learned more than during my 12 years of playing guitar, partially in a band, too.
I seriously don't see how anyone w/any knowledge of theory and composition can be satisfied creating this sort of music...period. there is nothing interesting about it. twiddling with a filter or manipulating a soft synth and creating a patch has replaced genuine composition.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:50 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Goddamn! what a bunch of Jaded Negative Nancy's on this board. You sound like a bunch of bitter old whiny twats.

Did you guys also walk up hill both ways in the snow to school with no shoes when you were kids?

Lighten up, bust a nut and get over yourselves. The rest of the world is obviously over you.

/rant.

Tod
lame, you're not actually saying anything, you're just making some dumb jokes. I do listen to new shit and seek it out, you've got it completely backwards. Beats Me is writing off new music, blaming the industry. read again, slowly, move your lips if you need to.

daveperman- no, they can be lazy and not learn music. you can't use yourself as an example, you're old too. why would you say I don't like the style of music when I'm the one saying not to write off all of today's music? makes no sense.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:Goddamn! what a bunch of Jaded Negative Nancy's on this board. You sound like a bunch of bitter old whiny twats.

/rant.

Tod
lame, you're not actually saying anything, you're just making some dumb jokes. I do listen to new shit and seek it out, you've got it completely backwards. Beats Me is writing off new music, blaming the industry. read again, slowly, move your lips if you need to.

daveperman- no, they can be lazy and not learn music. you can't use yourself as an example, you're old too. why would you say I don't like the style of music when I'm the one saying not to write off all of today's music? makes no sense.
No Tone,

You've got it wrong. I was actually supporting your points. See my earlier post.

Step away from the bong slowly....
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
davepermen wrote:blabla. you just don't like that style of music, that's all. i like trance, and i like to dj. doesn't mean i don't learn a damn thing about music. actually, thanks to live i've learned more than during my 12 years of playing guitar, partially in a band, too.
I seriously don't see how anyone w/any knowledge of theory and composition can be satisfied creating this sort of music...period. there is nothing interesting about it. twiddling with a filter or manipulating a soft synth and creating a patch has replaced genuine composition.
shows how much you have no clue about that music. here, it's a culture that lasts now for more than 15 years at least, with tons of followers, tons of fans. from production, to performance, to djing, to what ever.. lots of creativity in that scene, too. yeah, it's different music. bashing it because you don't understand it doesn't show much. i don't like quite some musical styles. jazz, punk, quite some hiphop, etc. but it doesn't matter. i still can respect the work people put into those styles, and how they like what they do.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Step away from the bong slowly....
goddamnit. need coffee not bongs.

part of my feeling in all this is to not be that jaded old fuck. I know an old guy that only listens to Renaissance music because rock sucks and he's heard ALL the classical music. another guy my age I know staunchly hates all new music. I've had too many conversations with them on this. :(
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
ChiDJ wrote: daveperman- no, they can be lazy and not learn music. you can't use yourself as an example, you're old too. why would you say I don't like the style of music when I'm the one saying not to write off all of today's music? makes no sense.
then let them be lazy and not learn music. it will bring them so far... music is about having fun. if they have fun, and even bring fun to some crowd, LET THEM DO IT. it doesn't have to be intelligent music, perfect compositions, or ANYTHING useful actually.
you directly attacked what i see the most important advance in music right now: switching from the typical band-scheme to more individual, more flexible, and much more creative ways to act with music, think about music, and use music. a band has fixed instruments and plays the very same rythms and choords most of the time (mostly, greatly simplifying of course). i build my own instruments (mostly based on operator, and tons of effects to shape them), i build my own melodies, and i adjust and manipulate how the instruments and effects evolve, and mix, and match together. there's much musical stuff in there that no band would ever understand, as they 'play their instruments', and done.

that 15 year old might never be able to play in a band. but that doesn't change that he could create great music one day, and be a star which even we love for the creativity and inspiration and new thoughts he brought to the musical world. yes, the chance is VERY SLIM. but that chance was just as slim to get famous as a band.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:12 pm

there will never be another "legacy" artist.
wow you can see the future huh?
look at the word "legacy"
it takes years to achieve that status. most of the artist that would be considered "legacy" today went on for years without ever releasing anything, or most of what they released was considered a failure. from what i have read, aerosmith was considered washed up through out most of the 80's.
anyone that has came out this last decade is up for legacy status in the future. in 15 years there may be extreme nostalgia for fall out boy.
as it stands right now, the smashing pumpkins are pretty much considered washed up. in 5 years billy corgan might grow a brain and get the real smashing pumpkins back together, and they will be considered legacy.
deftones are another band that is going through a sorta has been (or never been) stage. in ten years they could be selling out arena's thanks to a vh1 special that is all about there hardships.

you could be considered legacy in 30 years..

kraftwerk is considered legacy. and they where a joke in the 70's and 80's.
i bet there are people that consider devo legacy now.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm

davepermen wrote:
shows how much you have no clue about that music. here, it's a culture that lasts now for more than 15 years at least, with tons of followers, tons of fans. from production, to performance, to djing, to what ever.. lots of creativity in that scene, too. yeah, it's different music. bashing it because you don't understand it doesn't show much. i don't like quite some musical styles. jazz, punk, quite some hiphop, etc. but it doesn't matter. i still can respect the work people put into those styles, and how they like what they do.
so because something has a following and has lasted all of 15 years its somehow this means there is automatically creativity involved?