Page 2 of 3

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:31 pm
by glitchrock-buddha
DCAM Synth Squad
Poly-Ana
NI Massive
Korg Ms-20
Imposcar
Minimosta
Minimoog V
Sylenth1


And in the Ableton suite, tension, operator and analog can all do their own flavors of interesting basses.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 pm
by 3dot...
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
3dot... wrote:Ableton Live...
I've heard that Ableton Live is a really good Bass VST.... :?
no.... I just think it answers all your 'bass needs'...
between the libraries and instruments and racks... you're set for bass with no need for additional stuff..

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm
by McQ714
Blue
Predator
Sub Boom Bass


All of Rob Papen's plugins are great. they have multi-core capability, 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 pm
by ethios4
3dot... wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
3dot... wrote:Ableton Live...
I've heard that Ableton Live is a really good Bass VST.... :?
no.... I just think it answers all your 'bass needs'...
between the libraries and instruments and racks... you're set for bass with no need for additional stuff..
Not at all. Every synth is slightly different, and those little differences can make a big difference. For example, I use Massive for psytrance bass because it has phase initialization for each oscillator and just the right envelopes for 150 bpm 16th note bass. You simply can't do that the way I like it with anything Ableton has, or most synths for that matter.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 pm
by ze2be
Great synth bass lines are made with good eq tweaking.

I don't have much experience with acoustic type of bass. For synth type bass, you can use almost anything. I suggest something cold and precise, because with precise tools you can create phat warm bass faster, and exactly how you want it to sound. A good EQ is more important here then the vst synth itself. Vintage analog modeled vsts can frustrate me, especially when their oscillators drift on purpose! And their silly, silly interfaces. :( When its about sound design, to me drifting oscillators is just like painting art with a drifting mouse. However if you are more of a preset guy and you don't want to tweak parameters, go for Arturia etc. Personally I want touch those type of synths with a stick on a distance. :D

Surge has an option to morph between drifting oscillators and stable oscillators. Its my favorite go-to vst synth atm.

Now days I do most basses with Operator. But if you want to do dubstep bass etc, you need more lfos. Surge, or perhaps Massive.

If you want really phat bass, its more about eqs, compressors, and correlation with the rest of the track. Especially with the kick. You should eq the bass and the kick against each other, because those two elements are exclusively bass. When they work well together, and the eq is tight, it will sound "fat" regardless of what VSTs you use.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 am
by ethios4
ze2be wrote:Great synth bass lines are made with good eq tweaking.
+1 It's amazing how moving a cut just a few Hz over can change the sound so much!

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 am
by 3dot...
ethios4 wrote:Not at all. Every synth is slightly different, and those little differences can make a big difference. For example, I use Massive for psytrance bass because it has phase initialization for each oscillator and just the right envelopes for 150 bpm 16th note bass. You simply can't do that the way I like it with anything Ableton has, or most synths for that matter.
allow me to politely disagree....
true... all synths don't sound alike...
or have exactly the same features...
but ...for your example...
operator has phase initialization and conrols for each OSC...
it also has a new and detailed filter env. with adjustable curves..
I agree it might have 'less' /different modulation sources
but that shouldn't prevent you from making KILLLER bass sounds within live..
let's do an inventory...(keep in mind the OP says he does downtempo style...)
Sampler/Simpler/Operator/Analog/Collision/Electric/Tension...
all cann be racked...layered..whatever...
loads of samples...including many single-cycle waves...
clip envelopes..
I rest my case..
imo Live has everything one needs for designing the bass..and then some

btw I think Massive is a great synth (kinda reminds me of Waldorfs/Virus...) :wink:

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 am
by Pasha
3dot... wrote:Ableton Live...
+1 Analog or Operator + Rack = Every sound you have in mind for me.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm
by FrankieP
My main go to synth for bass is the Novation Super Bass Station (the hardware).
There's a soft synth version of it but have never tried it. Whether it's close to the hardware I do not know.
For soft synths, I use Massive and Sylenth1.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:05 pm
by McQ714
by the way... what's a VTS???

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:11 pm
by 8O
McQ714 wrote:by the way... what's a VTS???
VST with randomizer on 2nd and 3rd oscillators...

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm
by McQ714
^ bravo (where's my clapping smiley from yahoo!?)

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:20 pm
by ethios4
3dot... wrote:allow me to politely disagree....
true... all synths don't sound alike...
or have exactly the same features...
but ...for your example...
operator has phase initialization and conrols for each OSC...
it also has a new and detailed filter env. with adjustable curves..
I agree it might have 'less' /different modulation sources
but that shouldn't prevent you from making KILLLER bass sounds within live..
let's do an inventory...(keep in mind the OP says he does downtempo style...)
Sampler/Simpler/Operator/Analog/Collision/Electric/Tension...
all cann be racked...layered..whatever...
loads of samples...including many single-cycle waves...
clip envelopes..
I rest my case..
imo Live has everything one needs for designing the bass..and then some
Good points, all. I think I'll be using Operator bass in my next project. Thx.

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:25 am
by 3dot...
wow...that went smooth... :mrgreen:

Re: Any really good Bass VTS's out there?

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:19 am
by sowhoso
ManyBass has a lot of excellent electric bass and synth bass sounds. Plus a bunch of extras (slides,harmonics etc...)

http://www.manybass.com/