How To Tell A Good Take/Recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

How To Tell A Good Take/Recording

Post by evon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 pm

This is actually a question. How can you tell before mixdown that you have a good recording/take.

Quite a lot of times I realize some serious flaws only when I have reached deep down in the mastering stage. Initially, the guitar rythym track had sounded good enough then I suddenly realize that the quality should have been better to start with. Like it is becoming difficult, to correct whatever with Eq, Compressors etc at that stage.

Apart from the right amount of signal in each track,and the desired/correct space in the frequency spectrum, what other criteria (other than hearing) can be used to verify a good take of an instrument?
fe real!

claytonsquire

Re: How To Tell A Good Take/Recording

Post by claytonsquire » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:59 pm

You've kind of answered your own question: listening is really the number one thing you can do. That said, knowing what you're hearing and how that will translate in a final mix will only come with experience.

You've probably heard the saying "A good recording starts with a good performance." That means making sure your recording artist is in tune, that they're familiar with some basic studio recording etiquette, that you've chosen the right mic, and that you're in an appropriate acoustic space (amongst many other factors). After you've recorded what you deem to be a good take, really listen to it. Is the dynamic range really all over the place? (This is almost easier to see than hear for some people). If so, you may have to use excessive compression resulting in an unnatural sound later on. Does it sound muddy, hollow, or otherwise sonically displeasing? Try different mics and/or different mic placement. If you've got good raw source material there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make it fit nicely in a mix.

Good luck!

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm

get good solid takes of the material before digging into mixes

1) turn off warping after a take and see how it flows naturally
2) just because an instrument has been tuned with a tuner doesn't mean its in tune... what i am saying is that you need to check the range of notes that are being used for the song. example: i commonly come across guitar players who tune up with a tuner but fail to check intonation across the fret board.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 pm

One way I've heard engineers describe it is TPP: Time, Performance, Pitch, in that order. Even with warping allowing us to now alter timing, a take still has to have a good "feel" so listen for the time/tempo/feel of a take. Obviously the performance has to have the right energy for the track. And lastly of course, it's gotta be in tune, although pitch correction is used nowadays it's better left subtle and as a last resort IMO. Keep in mind punching in or "comping" takes together if most or even part of a take has great energy to it. Mic placement/choice is a big part of pre-production as mentioned, have a plan and a backup plan in mind as to what kind of sounds you're going for and how to get them. Keep the mood focused but light and positive to make the musician comfortable. If you like the sounds you're getting from tracking it will be a lot easier to mix. Use compression to control dynamics and eq to balance frequencies when needed. If you're capturing takes with good time and good performances, that are in tune, your going to have a lot of fun mixing.

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Tracking something correctly will make mixing a lot easier. Get it right before you commit to tape. (or hard drive)
I use very little compression when tracking. I use little to no eq when tracking. EQ problems can be fixed by proper mic placement. Also, if it doesn't sound good in the room then chances are its not going to sound good when you record it. Example: You're playing your guitar and amp. It doesn't have the sound you want....you're not going to get that sound in post trying to fix it. Make sure it sounds good (by moving the amp around the room) before you track it.

Also, anything and everything will shape the sound. For instance, I lay down a guitar track and it sounds ok. Another guy comes in and plays EXACTLY the same thing I did but the recording sounds better. Why? Could be the pick he was using, the way he uses his fingers or places his hands on the strings, the roughness he plays.....ok this is starting to sound a little gay but you get the point....

Make sure everything sounds good before you even hit record. Then hit record, listen back and change things until its right. NEVER SAY I CAN FIX IT POST!!! Because you can't. Or it won't be as good as it could have been if you took the extra time to track.

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:26 pm

also like clayton mentioned.....listen. You should be training your ears to hear these things or else you will always have those problems. A good source to check out if you cant take Critical Listening classes, is this: http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/
It is a great product and if you're serious about being an engineer then I highly recommend it.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 am

When the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...

Basically everything everyone has already said..

When it's right you feel it.. learn to trust that feeling.. it's not wrong :twisted:

Hd

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:51 am

How can I add to the already good suggestions?

From my experience, check your recording signal.
I had to re-record a lot because I didn't care about a good signal.
Take my bass guitar for example:
I failed to provide a good signal (not too low, not too loud, not distorted)
and my bass recordings were dull as hell. :twisted:
Then I realized that I had to provide a louder signal to Ableton and so decided to re-record.
Suddenly my Bass Guitar was frequency rich like I it is and was able to stand in a mix.
Raise the volume after recording won't help. The recording itself has to be loud enough.

- My 2 cents
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am

if live coulours the clip green then everything is dandy.

red-coloured clips should get re-recorded.

no, seriously, the best takes I did where always either first takes or the takes when the engineer says, "this one was good already, but let's do another one for the fun of it, just to see if you can better".

You most often can recognize a good take by the look of the face of the instrumentalist/singer.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:49 pm

As Shatzer said, no eq while tracking, that's a mixing thing. Also light compression only when needed, such as tracking vocals with a transparent compressor like a simple DBX, 2-1 ratio, never really needing it, just there in case. As everyone has said, try to get it right tracking, never say "I can fix it later"- you probably can't. The old saying goes "you can't polish a turd". In other words, you can get something average to sound good with careful mixing, but it will never sound great. Get something good in tracking and you can sculpt it into something great by focusing the listeners attention and bringing out the nuance. It's all about the song, where does it want to go? Have fun and good luck!