Logic 7 is still no match for Live-4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryst

Logic 7 is still no match for Live-4

Post by ryst » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:26 pm

I don't care what comes out. Live 4 is still the software to beat. But it will never be. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ryst

Post by ryst » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:03 pm

I REPEAT.........

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Logic 7 IS STILL NO MATCH FOR LIVE 4!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:24 pm

logic7 is good for some stuff, live for other stuff

example:
I wouldn't like to record the London Philharmonic with live...

I use live and logic and will probably upgrade mailny for the distributed processing feature, my old 400 mhz powerbook may not be much good running everything, but as a dedicated space designer box it'll fly!!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:48 pm

burgessa23 wrote:I use live and logic and will probably upgrade mailny for the distributed processing feature, my old 400 mhz powerbook may not be much good running everything, but as a dedicated space designer box it'll fly!!
AFAIK the distributed processing only works for G5 and Gigabit Ethernet equipped machines... soz!

-Paws

drush

Post by drush » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:51 pm

no, G4 or G5 and ethernet or firewire.

http://www.apple.com/logic/distributedaudio.html

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:05 pm

*stands corrected*

:)

drush

Post by drush » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:09 pm

it's still not worth it tho ;)

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:19 pm

Hehe... I dunno... I only really use Live for recording live instruments/Reaktor 'performances' and for programming drums; the way I use clip envelopes and stuff isn't something that couldn't be done in either Reaktor or a simple tracker - so maybe Logic is the better choice for me? ;)

-Paws

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:23 pm

You can only use Logic on a Mac? So what! You can only play a saxophone with your mouth.

Dongle? Fine once you've paid for it & taken precautions to insure it. Processor Strain... er not an issue with G4 and over; and certainly not now with track Freeze and Distributed Audio Processing. Interface is a personal thing, and as for the price it's a steal: 60 top notch plugins, more soft synths than you could possibly need and possibly (!) the tightest audio app on the market.

Personally I think Live is awesome as a playback device, but the sound quality is pretty ropey, the packaged plugins are average (compared to Logic's), and it's a very clunky/cramped working environment without so much as a screenset in sight. Great for performance, but soggy pants in a working studio. Apples & oranges (pun intended).

You did say each to thier own so no hard feelings & hopefully no-one sees this as a blasphemous affront to the God of Ableton :)

Dan

Giddy Up

Post by Giddy Up » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:29 pm

DISUYE wrote:You can only use Logic on a Mac? So what! You can only play a saxophone with your mouth.
What kind of comparison is that? Yes you can only play a saxophone with your mouth but anybody can do it. You have to switch to a whole new computer that costs more then your original just to use software.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:31 pm

I don't know about you, but I bought my computer before I bought my software.

-Paws

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Giddy Up wrote:
DISUYE wrote:You can only use Logic on a Mac? So what! You can only play a saxophone with your mouth.
What kind of comparison is that? Yes you can only play a saxophone with your mouth but anybody can do it. You have to switch to a whole new computer that costs more then your original just to use software.
And most other programs cater to both platforms.

But then I think the vast proportion of Logic users were probably on mac in the first place anyway - I certainly did at first - since before the hard disk audio days

I think Apple/Emagic did take a hell of a gamble with their PC lock out, maybe over-estimating music maker software 'loyalty'. Most musicians I've ever known have historically made music on whatever computer can do it with whatever software they found easiest they could get their hands on and that's mostly PC these days

But then it seems to be often I read interviews with musicians that use Logic on a Mac. For a while there mac was considered the pro format and it seems to have stuck for alot of people, personally I dont think it matters a toss any more - it's now down to whether you can afford to go for a mac just because you like it, there's no other reason any more either will do amazing things by the standards of the olden days.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:08 pm

I'd say switching from Logic to Cubase is a lot less of a headache than switching from Windows to OSX!

-Paws

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:17 pm

[quote="Giddy Up"]What kind of comparison is that? Yes you can only play a saxophone with your mouth but anybody can do it. You have to switch to a whole new computer that costs more then your original just to use software.[/quote]

You miss the point really. 'Logic on a Mac' is the instrument. Logic on it's own is a pile of code doing nothing without a machine to run it on. So it only runs on one type of hardware; that makes it no different to an MPC or EMU or whatever. The computer is only half the tool and both are equally useless without each other.

If you're not already a Mac user, then yeah, starting off with Logic would be a dumb idea unless you had money to burn or you were REALLY serious about learning it for whatever reason. If you want a no-fuss, rock solid, loaded & well thought out audio production tool then perhaps consider Logic.

Whatever, if you're all happy using Live then fine by me; just don't kid yourselves that Ableton comes half as close to doing what Logic or any other fully featured audio app does.

Laterz,

Dan

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:25 pm

The cool things about apps like logic or cubase are the plug-ins that are included. But you pay way to much for the few support you get (at least with steinberg)
All the technical stuff that makes these such welknown apps, will end up in Live eventualy i hope.
The next Reason must be something great too. The Props are not hiring programmers to sample drum kits. lets hope they make some more synths :)

cheers