Will Live 8.1 have Max4Live runtime?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
n8sum

Re: Will Live 8.1 have Max4Live runtime?

Post by n8sum » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Honestly guys I think they want to create as much demand for max4live as possible to see how viable it is. While not everyone will want to program, there is already a lot of buzz about the possibilities it opens up - and that buzz will only strengthen as patches are released.

There are a lot of ableton users at the moment who don't see the value in max4live and to get them on board ableton needs to move forward with a strong and knowledgeable user base. A central selling feature of a max4live runtime is of course its user base.

Once the share option is solid and a library of user patches are available, we may start to see ableton making gestures towards a runtime. At the moment though, it seems they want to treat max4live as an independent solution in order to get as many users on board who will be serious about programming to establish the max4live community.

But I do agree with the sentiment that a runtime will be both needed and fair to all the users who just want to open rather than create apps. The practice of offering a runtime is in line with what cycling74 has done for years and is a natural extension of max into live. The only question now is timing and I think ableton is handling the situation responsibly.

1-0ne

necho

Post by necho » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:43 pm

4/4 wrote:
necho wrote:Now, I'm a big fan of Ableton.... I don't *think* I've ever posted a spoiled brat "why can't they do this?" "give me a discount cos I'm special" rant on this forum (if I did, I was probably drunk). I think Ableton is a great company with a great product.... no complaints at all.

BUT - I will be VERY disappointed if there is no M4L run time.
the whole "I'm not a twat, like those other twats" disclaimer combined with the brand brown-nosing is very twatish.

Like those nob-jockeys who say "some of my best friends are blacks" , or "I'm a liberal, but seriously what's up with those mexicans?"

twatish.
haha - you're priceless.....

rather a twat than a troll...
_________
sigs suck.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

If I were Ableton I would go for the early adopters with plenty of cash first. Then when sales start to fall off I'd bring out the run time only version.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:50 pm

oh no, i've been labelled a troll by a sanctimonious arse-burglar.

*hangs self with a rubber hose*

Fieldy

Post by Fieldy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:51 pm

in my opinion the charge is ok. i mean i don`t have much money because i go to school. but even cycling 74 is a small company. they can`t work for a long time for free. keep in mind there are a lot of people who download it illegal. and also think of: you get a bunch of new effects and instruments. and then look at many companies where you pay 200 € or even more for a single synth.
i think that price is really ok and it`s not only up to ableton. it`s a collab ,and both have to get paid for their work

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:28 pm

crumhorn wrote:If I were Ableton I would go for the early adopters with plenty of cash first. Then when sales start to fall off I'd bring out the run time only version.
And thats exactly what they might do too

I for one plan to get M4L (the "full" version :wink: ) Looking forward to get back into Max programming. What can I say, am a geek---And the self gratification of making a great workable patch is such a good feeling...I remember when I made my first synth on Reaktor...I thought I was the man! Then only to realize my skills were weaker than home grown grass---1960's grass at that. But the more you work at it & do your homework (you are in a sense going to school) the payoff is great

It'll help many start to work & think outside the box (however working within so many boxes at the same time) Eventually you'll be taking a dump thinking about making a Max patch that'll make the toilet flush as soon as the stink starts to rise

Fieldy

Post by Fieldy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

squelcht wrote:
crumhorn wrote:If I were Ableton I would go for the early adopters with plenty of cash first. Then when sales start to fall off I'd bring out the run time only version.
And thats exactly what they might do too

I for one plan to get M4L (the "full" version :wink: ) Looking forward to get back into Max programming. What can I say, am a geek---And the self gratification of making a great workable patch is such a good feeling...I remember when I made my first synth on Reaktor...I thought I was the man! Then only to realize my skills were weaker than home grown grass---1960's grass at that. But the more you work at it & do your homework (you are in a sense going to school) the payoff is great

It'll help many start to work & think outside the box (however working within so many boxes at the same time) Eventually you'll be taking a dump thinking about making a Max patch that'll make the toilet flush as soon as the stink starts to rise

i think they won`t do it to their costumers, getting them buy the full version, and when they sold enough they throw out a runtime version for the rest. i would expect that from native instruments, but not from ableton live

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:02 pm

^ Yeah...True. It would pretty fuct up eh? Especially after all the demand for a runtime thats been going on

dom

Post by dom » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:08 pm

4/4, please keep it down a bit.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:55 pm

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it's that reasonable to demand M4L "runtime" for free or 50 bucks. The thing is going to be packed with new live devices (midi and audio effects, cool granular toysm synths). And a huge percentage of the sales will be from people who will never build a thing. If I were ableton, and I wanted to be fair, I would charge exactly what they are charging.

Just my opinion, but I think people may be expecting a bit much for too little these days.

Give them money for M4L so they can spend the next while focusing on making Live 8 as stable as Live 6 was.
Professional Shark Jumper.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm

glitchrock-buddha, +1.

I think it's fair if you have to buy max4live to use it. and I thing the price for it is reasonable too.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:27 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it's that reasonable to demand M4L "runtime" for free or 50 bucks. The thing is going to be packed with new live devices (midi and audio effects, cool granular toysm synths). And a huge percentage of the sales will be from people who will never build a thing. If I were ableton, and I wanted to be fair, I would charge exactly what they are charging.

Just my opinion, but I think people may be expecting a bit much for too little these days.
+1

This whining about "I deserve free shit!" is getting old.

Free M4L runtime? I've got a better idea: just pretend you never heard of M4L and go about your business making music the way you already do.

Also, to those who compare Max Runtime with a possible M4L Runtime: realize that M4L will probably be able to work in Demo Mode as it is, which is conceptually identical to Max Runtime (i.e. you can't save anything in Max Runtime either). A M4L Runtime would be more than that because you could save your work in Live. The reason Max Runtime exists is so that a patch can be performed by someone who doesn't have Max installed or has different specs than the creator of the patch. Running Live in demo mode with M4L running as well would be exactly the same functionality (a performance-oriented functionality).
Unsound Designer

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 am

I think a 'runtime' should be included in the suite...
the edit button should cost the extra 299...
(either way .I'm getting it...)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 am

stringtapper wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it's that reasonable to demand M4L "runtime" for free or 50 bucks. The thing is going to be packed with new live devices (midi and audio effects, cool granular toysm synths). And a huge percentage of the sales will be from people who will never build a thing. If I were ableton, and I wanted to be fair, I would charge exactly what they are charging.

+1

This whining about "I deserve free shit!" is getting old.

Free M4L runtime? I've got a better idea: just pretend you never heard of M4L and go about your business making music the way you already do.

Also, to those who compare Max Runtime with a possible M4L Runtime: realize that M4L will probably be able to work in Demo Mode as it is, which is conceptually identical to Max Runtime (i.e. you can't save anything in Max Runtime either). A M4L Runtime would be more than that because you could save your work in Live. The reason Max Runtime exists is so that a patch can be performed by someone who doesn't have Max installed or has different specs than the creator of the patch. Running Live in demo mode with M4L running as well would be exactly the same functionality (a performance-oriented functionality).
funny and a good point. but m4L in demo mode would load a buttload of files onto peoples' machines even if they never try the demo. that might be an issue, maybe not.

whatever they decide I hope they do it in the way that gets people to at least try to makea patch before writing it off like that.

I just made blinky lights on my Launch Pad.
blinky blinky
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:57 am

M4L runtime at $89 - $99 with options to upgrade to the full M4L is reasonable I think. This way all the Max doofus's (I'm one) can get an appreciation for the power and workflow and maybe feel less daunted at having a go with the Full Monty M4L product and pony up to upgrade and volume of sales in this target group should enable considerable sales, which is better than a whole disenfranchised group of users who don't want to shell out $299 for something that they don't understand and who will whine endlessly about how expensive M4L is...

I think that expecting it to be free or $50 or less is wishful thinking given their investment in the product.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.