Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:00 am

LeifonMars wrote:I have Prophet 08 as well, it's nice and everything, but then again, it sure doesn't compare to my Evolver desktop that reigns after all these years. Therefore, Evolver FTW. Evolver is a classic, Prophet not so.
I have to be honest. I got the P '08 because it seemed like a good trade to do for a little while, but I've got a long term plan to end up with a Poly Evolver Keyboard. The prophet sounds AMAZING, but I always had a thing for the evolver... especially since I tried it out a few months ago.

I'm enjoying the P08 for now, but I'll be keeping an eye out for any PEv's that pop up.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 am

Prophet '08 does sound good indeed, but it's more bread and butter kind of thing. Evolver is an instant wild sonic trip. I tend to slice tails and attacks from evolver tracks I've recorded for glitch samples.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:20 am

LeifonMars wrote:Prophet '08 does sound good indeed, but it's more bread and butter kind of thing. Evolver is an instant wild sonic trip. I tend to slice tails and attacks from evolver tracks I've recorded for glitch samples.
the mek has me intrigued. apparently they are bringing out a potentiometer version in the next couple of months.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:11 am

macmurphy wrote:
the mek has me intrigued. apparently they are bringing out a potentiometer version in the next couple of months.
There's a pek version available already http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pek/. I have my old ReMote mapped to my desktop evolver, therefore I quite rarely find matrix annoying.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
macmurphy wrote:
There's a pek version available already http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pek/. I have my old ReMote mapped to my desktop evolver, therefore I quite rarely find matrix annoying.
ooh i know, but have you seen the price of those buggers? i'd love one!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:12 pm

I was about to get a 2nd hand PEK for 1300 euros last year, but the seller was not at the rendez-vous, I hated him soooo much, because I had made 500km for it....

then I got a desktop evolver + mfb synth II + juno 2 instead (the whole stuff for only around 850 euros), and it is really cool. I now sell the evolver and mfb, got a tetra, but still sometimes dreaming of the PEK...

one time... I'm pretty sure I'll grab one 8)

Back to the topic, I'm still urgently waiting for the tetra OS update...

anyone has any news from DSI about that "soon coming" update???

cheers

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 am

supamonsta, i would have hunted that guy down and...and...bitten his legs or something :twisted:

about that update, i've posted a request for news here so lets see...
Last edited by macmurphy on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:57 am

supamonsta, i would have hunted that guy down and...and...bitten his legs or something
indeed, I was frakin nervous and angry, tried to call him about 100 times during the week-end I was in his town... he just emailed me back one week after, saying he had no news from me and was upset because he waited for me that week end...

anyway, the story his now past :wink:

I'm really happy with the tetra these days, just playing the synth with the juno's keyboard is really cool , I feel like I'm jean michel jarre (my childhood hero)...

I'll check your link for the os update request

cheers

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:37 pm

fixed the link so it goes to the post instead of the board..

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:53 am

didn't take the time to sift through the thread, so apologies if its been discussed.

anyone used tetra with another DSI synth? namely a mopho or Prophet? I know it works seamlessly with poly chain, but I've read that in this mode, the tetra only acts as a voice expander to whatever patch you have on the "main" synth.

How about running a 5 part multi? Is it doable? Say, one part from your mopho or p08 and four more from the Tetra, all being independently programmed patches.

I know it's easily doable through simple MIDI, I guess, but you'd basically be stuck having to program the Tetra through the menus, as opposed to programming it from the main synth's control panel (which I've read you can do in Poly chain mode)... right?

Can anyone chime in?

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:38 pm

anyone used tetra with another DSI synth? namely a mopho or Prophet?
I have the Mopho Keyboard and Tetra.

I know it works seamlessly with poly chain, but I've read that in this mode, the tetra only acts as a voice expander to whatever patch you have on the "main" synth.
Not exactly. They do work great together but you have to dump the program banks from one to the other so that the match up. They do cycle through the voices (in my case 5 if they're poly chained) but if the bank/programs aren't the same on both then you will get different sounds from each as the voices cycle. Hope that makes sense.
How about running a 5 part multi? Is it doable? Say, one part from your mopho or p08 and four more from the Tetra, all being independently programmed patches.
I'd say yes but not if they are polychained.

I myself am using the two independently. One monosynth and one polysynth. The Mopho KB is perfect for programming the tetra - it is in perfect sync.
I dumped all the programs so they are identical and just route the midi via usb in Live. When I'm done programming the Tetra I disconnect the midi routing in Live and just program the Mopho by itself afterwards.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:47 pm

fragmentated wrote:
anyone used tetra with another DSI synth? namely a mopho or Prophet?
I have the Mopho Keyboard and Tetra.

I know it works seamlessly with poly chain, but I've read that in this mode, the tetra only acts as a voice expander to whatever patch you have on the "main" synth.
Not exactly. They do work great together but you have to dump the program banks from one to the other so that the match up. They do cycle through the voices (in my case 5 if they're poly chained) but if the bank/programs aren't the same on both then you will get different sounds from each as the voices cycle. Hope that makes sense.
I'd say yes but not if they are polychained.

I myself am using the two independently. One monosynth and one polysynth. The Mopho KB is perfect for programming the tetra - it is in perfect sync.
I dumped all the programs so they are identical and just route the midi via usb in Live. When I'm done programming the Tetra I disconnect the midi routing in Live and just program the Mopho by itself afterwards.
excellent info. thanks!

I actually just purchased a Mopho KB + Tetra combo! 8O

The P08 sounded great, but I think the mopho + tetra is a more versatile setup... AND cheaper brand new than a second-hand P08!

I sold my p08 and after purchasing a mopho KB + tetra at a discount, I still have about $500 left. 8)

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:19 pm

^ interesting stuff :)
i just sold my mopho desktop so i could put the money towards a tetra to compliment my mopho keyboard.
that's right, it's going to sit there and say nice things to it 8)

edit: i don't half type some bollocks sometimes :roll:

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:46 pm

I still have about $500 left.
why don't you just give it to me? :D

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:19 am

About the editor, have a try at the free one from ctrlr.org :
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/downloads/list