Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Hervé wrote:About the editor, have a try at the free one from ctrlr.org :
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/downloads/list
supamonsta wrote:
I still have about $500 left.
why don't you just give it to me? :D
already spent $300 on an MPC 2000XL

The other $200 go towards booze and women. :mrgreen:

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm

The other $200 go towards booze and women
lots of booze for that price, but I think it's a bit short for women :lol:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:34 am

As long as you supply the booze, it'll all be good. 8) :mrgreen:

Anyways the tetra, mopho AND MPC arrived today.

Loving the sounds coming out of both the Tetra and Mopho. Integrating them has proved a bit more difficult than I expected, but I think it's more due to my lack of experience with them than anything else. I'll probably get them wired after some practice. 8)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:38 pm

OK so i've been getting used to these guys over the past day or so. I'm at work right now, though I wish I were sitting in front of them, continuing to tweak away.

Mopho and/or tetra users: I have a question. This NRPN business is kind of doing my head in. Basically all was going well until I tried to use my MPC as a "central hub" for everything MIDI related. It appears that the 2000XL doesn't do NRPN's, so it's just filtering some controls out, namely the arp, sequencer, BPM, LFO's and a few other things.

Considering just running through Live and using that as the "communication center between everything." How are you faring with Live and any of these synths? Does Live handle NRPN's properly? If not, what's your workaround?

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

i've found with my mopho keyboard set to midi param send:cc and midi param rec:all (and using usb midi) everything works as expected, including recording and playback of automation.
live doesn't like nrpns at all :roll:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:44 pm

macmurphy wrote:i've found with my mopho keyboard set to midi param send:cc and midi param rec:all (and using usb midi) everything works as expected, including recording and playback of automation.
hrmmmm I see. Well, the main thing is communication between the Mo key and the tetra. I tried setting M param send:CC for mopho and M param rec:all for Tetra and it seems some of the parameters aren't going through.

I'll try again today just in case.

I wonder if there's a Max4Live patch that is able to convert between CC's and NRPN's. I need to get back on the Max bandwagon. I've totally slacked on it and ignored it. :|

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 pm

macmurphy wrote:i've found with my mopho keyboard set to midi param send:cc and midi param rec:all (and using usb midi) everything works as expected, including recording and playback of automation.
...yep .. it filters them out! something that m4l doesn't remedy either

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm

I have my MoKey set to send NRPN and my Tetra to receive all.

I set a midi track in live with MoKey in routed out to Tetra (all via usb connections)

Live will pass the info from the MoKey to the Tetra for programming purposes. After programming the Tetra I disable the MoKey to Tetra connection. I am using them as separate devices, not polychained. One mono synth and one poly synth.

I am however not recording any automation in Live currently so I can't speak on that issue. If you want to record automation it may work better to set them to send CC and record the CC's in Live.

sailordrift

Post by sailordrift » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Would the Tetra be a good replacement for Juno 106?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 pm

sailordrift wrote:Would the Tetra be a good replacement for Juno 106?
different character I think...
but I guess the Tetra can be "tamed" for those sort of sounds..

sailordrift

Post by sailordrift » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:55 pm

3dot... wrote:
sailordrift wrote:Would the Tetra be a good replacement for Juno 106?
different character I think...
but I guess the Tetra can be "tamed" for those sort of sounds..
guess I have to hold on to the Juno then, was hoping for a small footprint replacement:)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 pm

hehe.. hold on to it .. a Juno (60/106) is a fine instrument! :wink:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 pm

fragmentated wrote:I have my MoKey set to send NRPN and my Tetra to receive all.

I set a midi track in live with MoKey in routed out to Tetra (all via usb connections)

Live will pass the info from the MoKey to the Tetra for programming purposes. After programming the Tetra I disable the MoKey to Tetra connection. I am using them as separate devices, not polychained. One mono synth and one poly synth.

I am however not recording any automation in Live currently so I can't speak on that issue. If you want to record automation it may work better to set them to send CC and record the CC's in Live.
Hmm maybe I should try the USB thing. And all tetra parameters were aditable through the mokey? The ones that seem to be disabled are the sequencer, arp, and lfos knobs. basically some of the best, most important parameters. Ugh. I tried running them through live today but had a hard time, especially when running the tetra in multimode. Maybe I should do what you're doing, just run the two synths as a single mono and a single poly.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:14 am

dsi are working on the os for the tetra which i believe will sort out some of the multimode issues..

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 pm

I did see that they just released a Mopho keyboard update. Will download that once I'm back home tomorrow.

And i've seen mentions of an upcoming tetra OS update on the prophet forum, so I'm looking forward to that.

And, as opposed to one or two members of that forum, I'm staying calm. No point in wigging out :wink: :P :lol: