Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cosmosuave

Re: Dave Smith Tetra - who has one? Thoughts?

Post by cosmosuave » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 am

Here's the deal.... This is for usb communication only...

Install Midi Yoke

Launch tetra editor

Goto midi select midi in: usb audio device...
Select midi out: usb audio device...

Noe you should get mssg Tetra on line..

Launch Live

Goto midi prefs

Turn off the following midi ports...

Input: usb audio device
Output: usb audio device

You'll see a whole lot of midi yoke ports

midi yoke inputs 1-8 turn ON
midi yoke output 1 turn ON rest OFF or keep them on since i don't think it makes a diff...

On your midi track in Session or Arrangement view just select your midi output to Midi yoke 1

Make sense?
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:24 am

thanks dude :)

Problem is, how do i tell my computer to route midi yoke channel 1, to MIDI channel 1 on the USB audio device.
i think i know how to do it.. but all i get is a "there is not enough memory for this task".

:?

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 am

looks like they took the casing from the adrenalinn and put a synth in it... well, we know smith and linn are working on that drum machine... maybe linn had a bunch of extra ones..

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 am

Machinesworking wrote:I wouldn't. Same price range as the SEM.
http://www.audiomidi.com/Synthesizer-Ex ... 12454.aspx
Guaranteed the SEM is fatter sounding, better filters etc. No slight on Dave Smith, nice stuff, just Oberheim is in a class by himself.
For a little more the CV version is even better.
+1

only they are very hard to get in europe unfortunately. i'm dying to get one, hopefully the new SEM will also be distributed here...

i've had a poly evolver rack, which i returned within a month cause i thought soundwise it was a disaster (not to mention the crappy build quality). dave smith is cheap cheap cheap, poor quallty components both on the outside and inside, sorry, but don't get fooled by the hype...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:38 pm

BoimB son of BoB wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I wouldn't. Same price range as the SEM.
http://www.audiomidi.com/Synthesizer-Ex ... 12454.aspx
Guaranteed the SEM is fatter sounding, better filters etc. No slight on Dave Smith, nice stuff, just Oberheim is in a class by himself.
For a little more the CV version is even better.
+1

only they are very hard to get in europe unfortunately. i'm dying to get one, hopefully the new SEM will also be distributed here...

i've had a poly evolver rack, which i returned within a month cause i thought soundwise it was a disaster (not to mention the crappy build quality). dave smith is cheap cheap cheap, poor quallty components both on the outside and inside, sorry, but don't get fooled by the hype...
I have the Poly Evolver keyboard. Now granted of all my keyboards that would be the first to go, but that has nothing to do with the Evolver, the others I spent years finding and saving for, Xpander and modified Memorymoog, and a poly is still easy to find.

The sound is pretty sweat, but to again give credit where credit is due, the SEM is true analogue, VCOs etc. Evolvers are DCOs, though honestly it's the filters more than anything that benefit from pure analogue IMO. DCOs are hybrid, though still closer sounding to digital than VCOs. I'm certain all Dave Smith synths are DCO's that's not terrible, but it explains a little why the SEM sounds so huge.

That said, the evolver is pretty much one of the funnest synths to play with, the routing is far beyond any VCA synth except maybe a modular or Xpander, and the stacked sound of the analogue DCOs is freaking solid, just really huge bass sound etc. I could see not liking it if you're an analogue purist, but true analogue everything tends to wash things into a dull color just like true digital tends to gloss everything. <-- all personal opinion of course.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm

BoimB son of BoB wrote:
Hype ? Evolver's are like marmite, you'll love em or hate em. DSI is a great company though that are able to produce analog synths at a price point unheard of a few years ago. Most of their target market will not be going on the road with their gear and it will most likely site on a table in their bedroom for most of it's life. With their new compact synths mopho and tetra they have upped the build quality too.

Their customer service is 2nd to none also, out of warranty repair on my Evolver Desktop was $15, standard fee for out of warranty repair no matter what is broken, I told them I bought it off ebay and didn't know how old it was but I had it about 2 years and it looked like something in the internal power circuitry was shot. Didn't matter, still $15. Where else would you get that kind of service ? This might sound like an advert but I have never had that kind of treatment from any company ever so I was well impressed.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm

I guess I'll sell my evolver to get a tetra...

it's the ultimate synth for live gigs with the multi mode 4mono or 2mono-2-mixed-stereo...

and a great fat sound!!

I don't feel that 650 euros is a steal for tht synth audio and gear quality!!

cheers

(and for the customer service, I know another company so trustfull : MFB, it's the same they don't ask where does your unit come from, they only charge for shipping.... )

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat May 29, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi,

I just finished setting up the audio routings for my new gear/software setup (maschine, live7, DSI tetra, Jomox T-resonator, motu ultralite and midi controllers), some of you may have followed my painful setting adventures in this forums in some maschine/live threads...

and now that's done, I'm getting a bit deeper with my Tetra. 8)

So far I LOVE the sound, and built quality.

I want to use it in multimode, sequenced from 4 midi channels in maschine. It works that way, got 4 pads sending 4 midi channels to the tetra.

=> The next step, is to create my own combos with my own programs. (I'd like to have 1 combo of 4 programs for each of my new songs)

I now understand how to tweak and save programs in program mode, no real probs with that. I don't find it is too hard to do from the synth itself.

The question I have now, is about tweaking individuals programs in Combo mode,

WITHOUT USING ANY EDITOR

(I'll give editors a try, but I got so much time spent on software, that I just would like to tweak the synth from its control surface)

So

-Multi mode ON
-Combo mode "on"
-Output mode = Q LR34 (to have 2 mono channels and 2 stereo channels)

I'd like to, say, tweak and save the 1st program of the Combo...

I press EDIT B/Combo, and Tetra displays "MultiMode ON!"

So I understand we have to EXIT from Multi mode to tweak combo programs????

is that it???

Or is it me bugging???

I'd appreciate any advice/comments of you tetra owners...

I know a new OS is being worked on at DSI's, and I hope the solution is there...

because for now, I have the feeling that multi/combo mode is NOT workable yet?????

Thanks a lot

cheers

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat May 29, 2010 3:33 pm

supamonsta - the folks on here - http://prophet5.org/viewforum.php?f=15& ... 7980b6d936 can be helpful.
also a guy from d.s.i is a regular poster there.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat May 29, 2010 3:49 pm

hey thanks for that link, I browsed / googled the web in all directions without finding much useful stuff, and I didn't find this forums,

:D

EDIT :::

Sadly, there is quite nothing about the tetra in this forums, but thanks again.

fact is everywhere I ask, everyone answers "wait for the forthcoming OS update", so, I'll wait...

and try the editor

I just installed soundtower's, to give it a try, at least, I can open it, and use it without changing anything in my gear setup...

that's pretty cool

I'll test it furthermore, just have to make a break :mrgreen:

cheers

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sat May 29, 2010 4:49 pm

I got one earlier this year and absolutely love it. So badass. Every analog synth is different, I'm sure the SEM is fantastic also. DSI is has the Curtis chip filter which is different from say a Moog, more bite. I bought the upgraded editor (maybe overkill but saving unlimited virtual banks on your computer is nice. I haven't had that many problems with it but yeah it's not great. I love this synth, love it love it love it. That said it's the only analog I have, other than that a DX7 and tons of soft synths but even added one real analog synth has improved my tracks a lot. Sounds so damn good.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sat May 29, 2010 6:23 pm

anybody human wrote:I got one earlier this year and absolutely love it. So badass. Every analog synth is different, I'm sure the SEM is fantastic also. DSI is has the Curtis chip filter which is different from say a Moog, more bite. I bought the upgraded editor (maybe overkill but saving unlimited virtual banks on your computer is nice. I haven't had that many problems with it but yeah it's not great. I love this synth, love it love it love it. That said it's the only analog I have, other than that a DX7 and tons of soft synths but even added one real analog synth has improved my tracks a lot. Sounds so damn good.
i remember when i started using the mopho i thought 'so thats what they (analogue nuts) are talking about.'
it's impressed me so much i'm saving for a prophet 08. i'd go for a mopho keyboard/tetra polychain combo but i don't think i'd cope with only 32 keys.

as far as the editor goes, for the mopho at least it's improved. the d.s.i. guy at the forums i linked to said he's currently beta testing a new version but was pretty tight lipped on what was changing. i'd imagine the new sequencer slew rate control from the recent os update will be in there. i'm sure an update for the tetra editor and os will be quick to follow.

it's definitely worth keeping an eye on that forum to get news from the horses mouth as it were.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 29, 2010 7:04 pm

anybody human wrote: That said it's the only analog I have, other than that a DX7 and tons of soft synths but even added one real analog synth has improved my tracks a lot. Sounds so damn good.
Thing is, I would NEVER argue against any purchase that made the buyer believe this.
Does it make writing music seem more accessible and fun? then go for it! 8)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 30, 2010 12:45 pm

1 voice

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 30, 2010 12:56 pm

I would have preferred this one (prototype I guess... seems it's an evolver keyboard with yellow color... but there are here 3 full octaves KB and much more pots...)