Holy F***! Ableton saves my JP8000 patches like an AU/VST!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aizo

Holy F***! Ableton saves my JP8000 patches like an AU/VST!!

Post by aizo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:10 am

Ever since I got my JP-8000 I have been troubled by the fact that when you tweak a patch that in order to save it you have to overwrite that patch. Boom, now the original is gone and I no longer have the ability to use the original unless I want to initialize the patch.

So I just figured out that if you switch patches in the middle of recording that when you launch that clip it will automatically switch to that patch. I don't need to save anything on the JP! It just automatically saves in Live and I don't have to do any recalling just launch the clip! Wow!

Maybe this is something that everybody should "know" but for me it's amazing! After years of moderate satisfaction with the JP I can now fully use it to do what I want it to do, without having some third party software or using sysex. Excellent *in Mr. Burns' voice*

NOW I can work on my all hardware industrial project(well......with Live as the master that is...)!
Last edited by aizo on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Homebelly

Re: Holy F*** Ableton is awesome

Post by Homebelly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 am

Um..
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but i'm not sure live actually remembers the patch data.
I think that would require a SYSTEX dump and live doesn't like that kind of information.
The clip will remember program numbers, and the program number will be recalled on your synth
but if you over write the program at that program number address then the sound will change.

I would love to be wrong, and i am hoping i am.
But i don't think that is the case...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 am

But that's the point. I never need to overwrite that program again. I just need to open the project in Live and it will remember the patch information just the same as an AU / VST. I've tried turning off the JP-8000 and Live and as soon as I load the project and the clip plays it automatically switches from the default patch to the one used in the clip. It remembers the patch Data! That's why I'm fucking wowing!!!
ImageImage

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:44 am

aizo wrote:But that's the point. I never need to overwrite that program again. I just need to open the project in Live and it will remember the patch information just the same as an AU / VST. I've tried turning off the JP-8000 and Live and as soon as I load the project and the clip plays it automatically switches from the default patch to the one used in the clip. It remembers the patch Data! That's why I'm fucking wowing!!!
If your right...
And i have no way of confirming this until i finish unpacking my synths from my recent move and re-setting every thing up again in my new place, i will come to your house and be your bitch for a week.

Maybe change the thread title to some thing more indicative of the content, lets see if some one else can confirm this.
I would love to be proven wrong here,,, the very thought has given me bad case of sex wee's.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Johnisfaster

Re: Holy F***! Ableton saves my JP8000 patches like an AU/VST!!

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:16 am

I'm really doubtful about this but I'd love to hear that it actually works.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:25 am

I know that if you set a certain MIDI clip to the right patch number, Yes it will switch to directly to that patch when that MIDI clip is played. Then the next clip down may have a different patch number and it will switch right away when it's played.

I am kinda doubting the fact that it remembers which patch it was played in, without you setting it up that way, but I haven't tried that out.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 am

aizo wrote:I load the project and the clip plays it automatically switches from the default patch to the one used in the clip. It remembers the patch Data! That's why I'm fucking wowing!!!
It remembers the patch number and sends a program change corresponding to it, but it doesn't remember the patch data.

Edit: Still there's a flickering "what if...? :o" in my brain after you repeatedly said it like that. But I think it's very unlikely it suddenly works with patch data.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:36 am

Nokatus wrote:
aizo wrote:I load the project and the clip plays it automatically switches from the default patch to the one used in the clip. It remembers the patch Data! That's why I'm fucking wowing!!!
It remembers the patch number and sends a program change corresponding to it, but it doesn't remember the patch data.

Edit: Still there's a flickering "what if...? :o" in my brain after you repeatedly said it like that. But I think it's very unlikely it suddenly works with patch data.
I feel exactly the same, although my interest isn't sparkled enough to actually go into the studio and see if it works. But thats cause I still really doubt it and don't feel like fiddling around with it for 15 minutes to determine that it doesn't.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:50 am

Live is probably just rec CC's that are sent out when you change a preset? so the next thought is does the jp have a CC for every perameter? Unfortunatly live cannot record CC's from mutiple channels into one track it seems to allways convert chnl 1 internally :evil: so stuck with just 128 unlees we use multiple tracks to rec.

I'm looking for a hardware synth that can be recorded 1 to 1 via midi but most fall severely short I'd be interested to know whats going on here.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:09 am

Basically when I have a clip. I hit record and switch patches to the one I want to work with WHILE its recording. So maybe it'S just recording my program change. It does record all the automation because their midi messages. So when I switch between a few clips that use different patches it automatically goes to the those patches with all my tweaking in place and saves with in the project.
ImageImage

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am

aizo wrote:Basically when I have a clip. I hit record and switch patches to the one I want to work with WHILE its recording. So maybe it'S just recording my program change. It does record all the automation because their midi messages. So when I switch between a few clips that use different patches it automatically goes to the those patches with all my tweaking in place and saves with in the project.
yeah that makes sense. The programme changes and some of the automation data is CC's on a JP8000. The rest is sysex though, and although it could be recorded in it's entirety by (nearly all of the) other DAW's (Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Logic et al) Ableton filters it out. So what we all thought you were initially describing (Ableton storing all of the patch data) is not possible because Ableton filters out all of that information which the synth is sending.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:10 pm

GUY SMILEY wrote: yeah that makes sense. The programme changes and some of the automation data is CC's on a JP8000. The rest is sysex though, and although it could be recorded in it's entirety by (nearly all of the) other DAW's (Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Logic et al) Ableton filters it out. So what we all thought you were initially describing (Ableton storing all of the patch data) is not possible because Ableton filters out all of that information which the synth is sending.
anyone now the reason for that? or a hint to what the benefits might be?
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Silence wrote:
GUY SMILEY wrote: yeah that makes sense. The programme changes and some of the automation data is CC's on a JP8000. The rest is sysex though, and although it could be recorded in it's entirety by (nearly all of the) other DAW's (Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Logic et al) Ableton filters it out. So what we all thought you were initially describing (Ableton storing all of the patch data) is not possible because Ableton filters out all of that information which the synth is sending.
anyone now the reason for that? or a hint to what the benefits might be?
What Aizo is describing is Program Changes and Midi Controller Changes (CC). I've read somewhere on this forum that Live uses sysex for its own purposes. But I don't see why that should be a problem: since sysex are system exclusive and Live could use its own exclusive sysex.
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:31 pm

This can also be quite annoying at times.

KainProject

Post by KainProject » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:54 pm

As long as you set the CC data (Automation) to re-create the patch in the first measurment Live will send that data to the JP-8000/8080 when you first press play.
(I'm not talking about Sysex or Bank/Patch select.)