Have you bought M4L?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
timothyallan

Re: Have you bought M4L?

Post by timothyallan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

4/4 wrote:first person shooters on consoles = fail.
Yeah, I thought that as well until I got into it. The constant graphics/framerates + knowing everyone has the same control scheme is the winner. It really evens things out multiplayer wise. Plus I bought a mac and don't have a windows box anymore to play games :)

Now, back on topic!!

RABBLE RABBLE MAX4LIVE

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

got it

now to figure out how to make a granular convolution reverb using the sampler instrument
as a template.

acoustic mirror meets graincloud (from reaktor)

thats my dream reverb..

probably never gonna happen i never have time.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 am

no, and i wont be, im very happy with live suite as it is and only want for more controlers, and from their to break out of computer only music making if and when i feel the need.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:43 am

It just *had* to come out right when I'm burying myself starting a modular synth. I don't foresee buying any software for a long, long time. But that's okay. 8)

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 am

:oops: am I the only person in the universe who has no real idea what max for live really is, and if I need it? I usually begin with a "preset," or empty patch and tweak it until I come up with what fits the musical piece I am trying to create. I'd personally rather play a guitar, or piano chords, or even hold my cock and tweak filters on a sequence, compared to endless hours of programming sounds. I may not be the "cat's meow," as far as my music goes, but I am pretty inspired, understand theory and have some, chops and experience behind me....

Is it pointless for a person like me to get into max, or am I missing out on one of the best kept secrets in music production? :oops:

Many people tried to point me into reaktor, but I just did not feel that I wanted to invest the time in programing sounds, vs composing tracks... shall I duck as the shit begins to fly in my direction? :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:04 am

nonform_noise wrote: ... m4l sounds organic, a living soundscape full of randomness. this is @#$%ing awesome! i'm already addicted.
^
^
^
^

I want... gotta update to late 8 as well though!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:07 am

it's definitely not for everyone. I can't put into words who it is for because it's only as complicated as you want to make it and as people put stuff out you can use their work to make your own. or you can go balls out and get very involved in a very elaborate design.

these are EXCELLENT videos:

to see what it is, check here, a very nice basic patch
http://www.max4live.info/content/tutori ... max-part-1

to see how you can tickle Live and what this talk of the "Live API" is all about, check here:
http://www.max4live.info/content/tutori ... -observers
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 am

just bought it, I'm not a programmer but I am interested in checking it out. But as someone said on the info site you are basically paying 300 bucks for something that is going to continue to produce cool devices indefinitely, ie devices designed by others. I hadn't thought of it this way so I bought it.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:22 am

just picked it up. pretty cool.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:42 am

Tone Deft wrote:it's definitely not for everyone. I can't put into words who it is for because it's only as complicated as you want to make it and as people put stuff out you can use their work to make your own. or you can go balls out and get very involved in a very elaborate design.

to see how you can tickle Live and what this talk of the "Live API" is all about, check here:
ok, thanks, I am beginning to see the "big picture". Many possibilities.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 am

bought it (already had a max5 license so it wasnt that pricey for me)

the looper instrument is pretty freakin wicked

necho

Post by necho » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:17 am

timothyallan wrote:nope, unfortunately I have music to make ;)

I fell into that trap with Reaktor a few years ago, fool me twice, shame on me!!
Me too - Reaktor will eat your soul if you're not careful.

M4L would do the same... I really want a step sequencer though!
_________
sigs suck.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 am

Tone Deft wrote:it's definitely not for everyone. I can't put into words who it is for because it's only as complicated as you want to make it and as people put stuff out you can use their work to make your own. or you can go balls out and get very involved in a very elaborate design.

thanks for the links,Tone!

really good videos,very clear.it makes it all look much easier than Reaktor(which i never was able to get into).
and the amount of visual feedback i saw in the videos was stunning!really helps in terms of creating stuff.

now if you'll excuse me,somethings itching in my pants.................

NO,NOT THAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean my creditcard.........

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 am

beats me wrote:I'm holding off until some early adopter informs us on this forum in a ranting rampage post how they paid full price and now Ableton is offering some sweet deal to noobs.
This time I belong to the group of noobs instead of that with the early adopters and the rrp... :wink: Especially because Ableton don't even offer a discount to those who already own Live 8 Suite.

btw: I like the term "ranting rampage post"... Spoken in the right timing it will fit in to 4/4 bar. :D

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 am

$4mU3l wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm holding off until some early adopter informs us on this forum in a ranting rampage post how they paid full price and now Ableton is offering some sweet deal to noobs.
This time I belong to the group of noobs instead of that with the early adopters and the rrp's... :wink: Especially because Ableton don't even offer a discount to those who already own Live 8 Suite.
Same boat here. The amount of times i have bough stuff (operator, sampler, suite upgrade etc) and then within a few weeks SAVE 20% on our Sizzling summer of sound or whatever. I mean i don't begrudge them, but i think i'll just wait it out this time.