Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
ajstrax
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: New York, New York

Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by ajstrax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 pm

I've completed a home movie that I plan to show during the holidays for the fam. I used Final Cut to create the video. Now that the video is done, I wanted to use Live 8 to create the soundtrack. Do I simply render the video, input into Live and then simply put the video on a track and create the sounds? If so, how would I render the final product? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

Ajbbklyn
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: New Hope, PA
Contact:

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by Ajbbklyn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Create a Quicktime file in Final Cut.
Open a new Live Set.
Drag Quicktime file onto Audio track 1. Picture and audio from the Quicktime file will be on track 1.
Create your soundtrack on the other tracks.
Mix ingredients.

The last step - you have two options:
1) Export audio & video as Quicktime file. Audio should be 48kHz/16 bit.
2) Export audio-only at 48kHz/16 bit AIFF and bring the mixed track back into Final Cut. This audio will include information from Track 1. So, it will replace the existing audio in Final Cut.
Last edited by Ajbbklyn on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

ajstrax
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by ajstrax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Great, appreciate the help. :D
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

Ajbbklyn
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: New Hope, PA
Contact:

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by Ajbbklyn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Refer to my edit.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

ajstrax
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by ajstrax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm

The whole thing worked well, I was able to import and do what I wanted with the score. However, when I warped and blended the audio, the movie also moves positions, even when it's not warped. Is there any way to "lock" the video track so that I can mess with only the audio? I don't want the video to move when I adjust a tempo in one song to match another. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

Nick the Zombie
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:04 pm

@ajstrax, I've just gotten into doing video scoring in Live so unfortunately I have no answer to your question. I'm doing one-shot stuff like sound effects, foley, etc. rather than music so I don't have to worry about how warping affects the video. This would be useful information to have, though, so count me in as wanting answers to this one.

For anyone else happening upon this thread, the zoom shortcuts are going to be your best friend for video work in Live as they allow you to properly sync up when things are triggered to individual frames.

EDIT: Just happened upon this in the manual:
2. Drag a QuickTime movie from Live's File Browser and drop it into an audio track
in the Arrangement View. The Video Window will appear to display the video
component of the movie le. (Remember that you can move this window to any
convenient location on the screen.)

3. Now that the video clip is loaded, drag an audio clip into the Arrangement View's
drop area. A new track will automatically be created for it. Unfold both tracks so
you can see their contents by clicking the buttons to the left of their names.

4. Double-click on the video clip's title bar to view it in the Clip View. In the
Sample box, make sure that the Warp button is enabled. Warped clips in the
Arrangement View can be set as tempo master or slave. We want the Master/
Slave switch set to Master, which will force the rest of the clips in the Live Set to
adapt to the video clip's tempo (i.e., its normal playback rate).
Have you tried that?

nuxnamon
Posts: 1770
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: 650 area

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:19 pm

when you say home movie, does it involve a girl? :D

Nick the Zombie
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 pm

ajstrax wrote:I've completed a home movie that I plan to show during the holidays for the fam.
nuxnamon wrote:when you say home movie, does it involve a girl? :D

8O

ajstrax
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by ajstrax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
ajstrax wrote:I've completed a home movie that I plan to show during the holidays for the fam.
nuxnamon wrote:when you say home movie, does it involve a girl? :D

8O
I figure a little home made porn never hurts before my grandmother cuts the turkey! :D Funny stuff.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

ajstrax
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by ajstrax » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:@ajstrax, I've just gotten into doing video scoring in Live so unfortunately I have no answer to your question. I'm doing one-shot stuff like sound effects, foley, etc. rather than music so I don't have to worry about how warping affects the video. This would be useful information to have, though, so count me in as wanting answers to this one.

For anyone else happening upon this thread, the zoom shortcuts are going to be your best friend for video work in Live as they allow you to properly sync up when things are triggered to individual frames.

EDIT: Just happened upon this in the manual:
2. Drag a QuickTime movie from Live's File Browser and drop it into an audio track
in the Arrangement View. The Video Window will appear to display the video
component of the movie le. (Remember that you can move this window to any
convenient location on the screen.)

3. Now that the video clip is loaded, drag an audio clip into the Arrangement View's
drop area. A new track will automatically be created for it. Unfold both tracks so
you can see their contents by clicking the buttons to the left of their names.

4. Double-click on the video clip's title bar to view it in the Clip View. In the
Sample box, make sure that the Warp button is enabled. Warped clips in the
Arrangement View can be set as tempo master or slave. We want the Master/
Slave switch set to Master, which will force the rest of the clips in the Live Set to
adapt to the video clip's tempo (i.e., its normal playback rate).
Have you tried that?
This sounds like it'll do the trick. I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help Nick.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's


Froschfinger
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: Live Heaven/Haven
Contact:

Re: Best way to create soundtrack for movie using Live 8?

Post by Froschfinger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:43 pm

This might be a bit late and not completely relevant as you wanted to achieve the exact opposite.
I am currently making the soundtrack for a little informational film and I heavily need to adjust the tempo of the movie clip. Is there an easy way to do so? Warping the movie didn't seem to work, and I'd prefer something simple as an envelope I could adjust with my mouse to slow down or speed it up. Is that possible in some way? Any experience with this? It's a flash film that will be re-edited after my adaptions, so picture quality isn't an issue..
But what's the use in that
When you lie?

Post Reply