Help me build the filthiest Hackintosh?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
psilopsyche

Help me build the filthiest Hackintosh?

Post by psilopsyche » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey Ableton Crew,

Would you all like to help me build my first Hackintosh? I've been a long time Windows user and have been cracking on a Mac for the past 5 years or so. My Macbook is about ready to implode into a white puddle of magma and I've decided that instead of buying a new Macbook Pro or iMac I'd like to build a computer from scratch with the aim of running Apple OS X as the primary OS, making music, playing games, and all the rest. I'm aiming for a $2,000 price point and would feel truly indebted to you all for your help. I know my way inside of a computer fairly well, but I ask your input specifically for parts which are compatible with OS X, and are relatively high-end with good reviews. Also, should you know of any systems which are awesome out of the box I'm all ears.

Thanks a lot for your input! This forum is the best. :)

cacti

Re: Help me build the filthiest Hackintosh?

Post by cacti » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:09 pm

You prob dont need to spend 2k on it right away, plus you can always upgrade it. I spent about $800 last spring on my Hackintosh for everything i could want.

YOu need to troll the osx86 and hackintosh.org forums to find the right hardware that works the best, this will make the process way easier, instead of trying to make the software work with the hardware.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:26 pm

it's only my modest opinion, but hackintosh are the biggest anti mac thing of the whole mac way of life!

i bought a mac because i liked their os, and and most of all,i liked that was a "finished" machine, yes you can have a bigger hd or more ram, but that's all! it works, maybe it's slower than a windows based computer but it works! and when it stops to work you need to buy a new machine instead of thinking how to upgrade it or fix it BLA BLA BLA

i said it already, it's only my point of view, but i like to be "limited" at using it, i don't understand hackintosh at all, if you want to fiddle around at building things, change parts, customize the thing buy a pc and use their more customizable os.

sorry for that but i hate hackitnosh!

cacti

Post by cacti » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:29 pm

freshdrumma wrote:it's only my modest opinion, but hackintosh are the biggest anti mac thing of the whole mac way of life!

i bought a mac because i liked their os, and and most of all,i liked that was a "finished" machine, yes you can have a bigger hd or more ram, but that's all! it works, maybe it's slower than a windows based computer but it works! and when it stops to work you need to buy a new machine instead of thinking how to upgrade it or fix it BLA BLA BLA

i said it already, it's only my point of view, but i like to be "limited" at using it, i don't understand hackintosh at all, if you want to fiddle around at building things, change parts, customize the thing buy a pc and use their more customizable os.

sorry for that but i hate hackitnosh!
is this sarcasm? i cant tell.

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:58 pm

psilopsyche wrote:Hey Ableton Crew,

Would you all like to help me build my first Hackintosh?
There are two ways to get a good working Hackint0sh:

The first is to go to insanlymac and look at the database for compatible PC hardware. Then you must buy Snow Leopard (I recommend the Box Version incl iLife Suite). Then you have to make a boot132 CD with the drivers of your hardware for booting up the SL installer or install SL directly on the HD of your new Hackint0sh with the help of your old Mac. After a successful installation, install the Chameleon Bootloader and your driver to /Extra. After this you can make updates etc. You need a lot of computer knowledge and basic practical Unix experience to make this way. The is no guarantee that it works. But you can spare 1000-2000 € for a MacPro compatible computer with OS X.

The second way is to ask an expert to do this job. Give him 200€ and you spare your time to become an Unix guru. After this you have a full working hackint0sh, acting 99% like a "real Mac". You still can spare 800-1800€ if you find someone who do this job for you.

There is a third way: Go and buy a real Mac. The best way for the most users of computers.
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:37 pm

2000 US dollares? This is the way to go!

.m

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:2000 US dollares? This is the way to go!

.m
ya but 2 g's in the mac world is ls like spending $500-$1000 in the build your own pc world.. even if you pay for someone to assemble the components that you pick.

i've been using mac's and pc's for years and i honestly like the mac os betterbut i like how easy it is to stream line a pc.. plus they are waaay cheaper.
apple over charges for components and they charge you for a warranty on items that have warranties from the manufacture lol.
you ever wonder why you increase your HD from 80 to 100 gig (adding only 20 gig)
but they charge you an extra $200? lol wtf is that.. your being over charger for the HD then you also being charged for the HD that your not getting.. its the same with ram and any other component..
that being said we own a MBP and i plan to buy another mac laptop some day too.. but unless i'm stupid rich my studio computer will always be a PC
(i am going to look into making a hackintosh on my next build though.. i love how easy it is to network macs)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:08 pm

I got the impression he was willing to spend $2000.

.m

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:51 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:2000 US dollares? This is the way to go!

.m
I've got some more specific arguments.

About my live-stage Hackint0sh, build up in April 2009.

This is not the latest and best MacPro with Xeon and 16 cores, this is only a "small" Quad Core computer, made of cheap parts. But this computer is enough for me and my friends to do heavy Live sessions on the stage with lot of musicians - and lot of realtime processing. I never had any OS crash or greyscreen, it work 100% reliable and fast.

The main reason for me to set up an Hackint0sh is that I want to use OS X on my stage box but I don't have the money to buy another Apple Mac. (I have one 2008 MacPro in my studio) But I have a lot of experience as OS developer and administrator and so it is no problem for me, to set up OS X on nearly Mac compatible hardware. My deeper IT skills are a big hidden part on the bill, because I own this knowledge and always find a way to the informations - this is priceless for me ;) And I'm a big fan of UNIX (40 years old now!) and OS X is the best incarnation of UNIX for the multimedia productive desktop. I don't like Windows, use it rarely, I don't think Windows is made for artists like OS X is made for. My personal taste; but I don't "hate" Windozers. Most of us have no choice and we have to use what "they" given us. I understand. But this is not for me, I have the choice. I'm not a stupid Applefanboi with a small iBratwurst and a Mac to get some iSauerkraut. I'm one of the serious "computer as a tool" handicrafts. Enough about me and my opinions, get some facts:

THE BILL

Geekbench 64 score: 6075
Compare to: MacPro 2008 (4 Core)/ca. 2500€: 5556 MacPro 2009 (8 Core)/ca. 3000€ 8214
(see http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/ )

OS Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

Hardware and prices (4/2009):

Mainboard: ASUS P5B-VM SE 50.-€
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 130.-€
Memory: 4.00 GB 1066 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 50.-€
HD: 3 x Seagate 500GB 150.-€
Case: Custom made 19' case: 60.-€
Misc: Power supply, Cooler etc. 100.-€
Extra: Belkin Firewire PCI Card 40.-€
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7200 SE 20.-€
+Mac Box (Snow Leopard, iLive, iWork) 150€
Total: 750.-€

Pro:
-very cheap but reliable hardware
-feel and act like a real MacPro
-can do Mac updates
-not illegal in Germany to build up and use a Hackint0sh if you bought a legal copy of OS X

Con:
-not so quiet as a real Mac
-no "sleep" mode
-case is more industrial design so Apple fanbois are mostly pissed off when they see this hacki...
-no Apple support

[EDIT]
-added the price for the Mac Box OS/Software Bundle
-some personal words and a link to Geekbench Scores
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|