HOLY CRAP. Audi-midi no brainers on Monday are...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
glitchrock-buddha

HOLY CRAP. Audi-midi no brainers on Monday are...

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Xils-3 light for 20 bucks! And blue tubes analog trackbox for 15! I've toyed with the idea of getting both of these before, I'm all over it!
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

kb420

Re: HOLY CRAP. Audi-midi no brainers on Monday are...

Post by kb420 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 pm

How do you know?

Where did you get this info?
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Xils-3 is either Syncrosoft or pace iLok protected (so you get to choose your malware).
Trackbox is iLok only.

Looks like I've saved myself $35.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:24 pm

well neither will require a dongle so I'm happy.

marqs

Post by marqs » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:25 pm

kb420 wrote:How do you know?

It's in the fresh newsletter sent out by Audio-Midi.
Live 8.2.5.b1
Macbook Pro 13": 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, WD Scorpio Black 500GB (7200rpm/16MB), WD Scorpio Black 320GB (7200rpm/16MB) via OWC On-The-Go Pro (FW 800), Mac OS X Lion 10.7, Apogee DUET 2, Serato Scratch Live (SL1)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:26 pm

kb420 wrote:How do you know?

email from audio-midi.com

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Blue Tubes Analog TrackBox also has a challenge/response auth option, from the looks of it.
Xils 3 looks really cool, but the deal is for the 'lite' verion. how 'lite' remains to be seen.
but for 35 beans, i'm in.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:well neither will require a dongle so I'm happy.
The dongle isn't the issue for me, it's the third party software that gets installed that I have no conrtol over and no support for. Same issue with Max 4 Live (pace iLok).

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:49 pm

I just got the email. You can't beat this for $15!!!!!
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:14 pm

kb420 wrote:Image

I just got the email. You can't beat this for $15!!!!!
And it's actually quite god sounding. I was demoing it a couple years ago and really liked the saturation and compression.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:46 pm

I was quite stoked about the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like...until I heard the audio demos on their site :?

I've used the real thing quite a bit, and they don't sound remotely like the fat, quirky, wailing, crunchy beast that I know & love.

I may drop the meagre bills on it anyway and hope that the way I'd use it would be nothing like those tracks.

As for the BT...never liked any of their plugs before...mebbe this is a step-up?

Still, fab deals regardless.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:58 am

evernaut wrote:I was quite stoked about the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like...until I heard the audio demos on their site :?

I've used the real thing quite a bit, and they don't sound remotely like the fat, quirky, wailing, crunchy beast that I know & love.

I may drop the meagre bills on it anyway and hope that the way I'd use it would be nothing like those tracks.
Say evernaut, if you do get the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like can you post a review of it as compared to your experiences with the real thing? I've been thinking about getting a soft synth version of an EMS analog synth, & would really appreciate hearing from someone with an experienced ear.

Thanks!

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:26 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
evernaut wrote:I was quite stoked about the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like...until I heard the audio demos on their site :?

Say evernaut, if you do get the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like can you post a review of it as compared to your experiences with the real thing? I've been thinking about getting a soft synth version of an EMS analog synth, & would really appreciate hearing from someone with an experienced ear.

Thanks!
I'm sure you will not be disappointed. For me the XILS 3 is up there with the very best virtual analog synths - WayOutWares TimewARP200, the Gforce stuff inc Imposcar, U-He ACE and the Korg Legacy Analog synths (and likewise it can be beastly to your CPU!). There are probably too many of fillers in the presets but the strong ones (some of the basses and most of the leads and Seq based patches) really show off what this thing is capable of. The chap that designed it used to be one of the lead code ninja's at Arturia so he comes from very good pedigree and it shows!
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

make

Post by make » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:23 pm

On XILS website they list the limitations of the no-brainer deal:
The No-Brainer version is a limited features version of the XILS 3 which doesn't bring all the new modules and modulations possibilities of the recent 1.1.0 and it won't be updated with the incoming new versions (we plan new filter, new preset managements, new GUI, ...).

Copy protection : serial number

[...] A special upgrade price will be launched in the following weeks for all the no-brainer customers : Full version and all its further updates will be available for €69 ($99)
Desktop: selfbuild Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz C2D | XP64 | 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz Ram | MOTU 828 mk2 | Adam A7 | 2 * UAD-1
Laptop: Apple MBP 2.2Ghz C2D | OSX 10.6.1 | 4Gb RAM | Metric Halo ULN/2 +DSP

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:45 pm

make wrote:On XILS website they list the limitations of the no-brainer deal:
The No-Brainer version is a limited features version of the XILS 3 which doesn't bring all the new modules and modulations possibilities of the recent 1.1.0 and it won't be updated with the incoming new versions (we plan new filter, new preset managements, new GUI, ...).

Copy protection : serial number

[...] A special upgrade price will be launched in the following weeks for all the no-brainer customers : Full version and all its further updates will be available for €69 ($99)
Update worth every penny. The two extra envelopes and LFO (all with modular routing) really take what was already a great synth onto a new level. And as Xavier states the current upgrade is just a starting point.
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)