Reaktor 5 or max4live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Reaktor 5 or max4live

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:54 pm

I bought Reaktor yesterday. I've not bought M4L

Reaktor

has a mature library of instruments, there's at least 10 which I would class as 'excellent' and also fill holes in my sonic arsenal which I have been wanting to fill for a while (a decent waveguide flute model for example)
I can open them up and alter them if I ever feel the need, but currently I'm focusing on writing music.

So, at least 10 excellent instruments for $99 (£60) seems like a bargain to me.

My other option was M4L.
M4L would let me access the API, play some pluggos, roll my own fractalised bingbong device . But I recently realised that if I let myself be carried away on that stream of "I can program anything I want to" then all too soon I would be enrolling on a software engineering course rather than making music. And that's no idle lip flapping, because I have done this before. One of my major flaws is starting too many projects and finishing none. EG: I can see that M4L appeals to my procrastination lobe, the one that made me learn Generator, Reaktor Javascript, PHP, SQL, C++, Processing , Synthedit, Synthmaker, etc. The one that made me start to write my own content management system, my own shopping cart, my own blogging software.

That is the bad lobe.

I am currently embracing simplicity. I think that unlimited options do not mean unlimited creativity. In fact limited options are better for my creativity.

I had a quick poke around the M4L beta and did not see a button marked "easy access to Live API", so I knocked up an API logging function (parent/sibling tree to text file) to try and trace what triggered what.
I suddenly realised what I was doing and quickly shut the program and picked up my lap steel, in a cold sweat.

So, I'll not be joining you lot on the M4L train.
I'm on the wagon.

----

[edit]
in the spirit of honesty - I will confess to having just put an order in for an arduino and some sparkfun ribbon controllers though ;)

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm

@ Angstrom:

I totally understand your sentiments on both M4L and Reaktor.

I am considering buying Reaktor for the same reasons you did - not sure I will.

Although I love Ableton and want to support them and I am intrigued by M4L, for now I am going to hold off b/c I can barely find time to make music, I don't want to split that with finding time to make things for making music.

That said, I did get Phoscyon and I have been procrastinating making funky acid techno/house instead of working on my current project. (Having way too much fun though :) )

esky

Post by esky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 am

I don't understand this discussion at all, for 99 € Reaktor is a no brainer. Ok, it has a bit of a learning curve, but one can do it step by step.
@ Angstrom...you will not only find 10 or 20 good ensembles, you will find dozens of them, i promise...
I'm interested in M4L too, but first i wanna hear some sounds and i haven't heard before. That wasn't the case until now. Maybe the runtime version is a choice for me...

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 am

Angstrom wrote:I bought Reaktor yesterday. I've not bought M4L

Reaktor

has a mature library of instruments, there's at least 10 which I would class as 'excellent' and also fill holes in my sonic arsenal which I have been wanting to fill for a while (a decent waveguide flute model for example)
I can open them up and alter them if I ever feel the need, but currently I'm focusing on writing music.

So, at least 10 excellent instruments for $99 (£60) seems like a bargain to me.

My other option was M4L.
M4L would let me access the API, play some pluggos, roll my own fractalised bingbong device . But I recently realised that if I let myself be carried away on that stream of "I can program anything I want to" then all too soon I would be enrolling on a software engineering course rather than making music. And that's no idle lip flapping, because I have done this before. One of my major flaws is starting too many projects and finishing none. EG: I can see that M4L appeals to my procrastination lobe, the one that made me learn Generator, Reaktor Javascript, PHP, SQL, C++, Processing , Synthedit, Synthmaker, etc. The one that made me start to write my own content management system, my own shopping cart, my own blogging software.

That is the bad lobe.

I am currently embracing simplicity. I think that unlimited options do not mean unlimited creativity. In fact limited options are better for my creativity.

I had a quick poke around the M4L beta and did not see a button marked "easy access to Live API", so I knocked up an API logging function (parent/sibling tree to text file) to try and trace what triggered what.
I suddenly realised what I was doing and quickly shut the program and picked up my lap steel, in a cold sweat.

So, I'll not be joining you lot on the M4L train.
I'm on the wagon.

----

[edit]
in the spirit of honesty - I will confess to having just put an order in for an arduino and some sparkfun ribbon controllers though ;)
:D 8) Exactly the same here. Just bought Reaktor and am looking at arduinos later this week! Just don't have time to give M4L the deep investigation it deserves at the moment, even though I know Max already...

Was it really £60 in UK? That's only €66 at today's rates and I've just paid €99 before looking here... :roll: :? :lol:

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 am

Got paid today so I could go for this deal... but I have Christmas presents to buy for others :(

I want to expand my sound and MIDI processing options, so I am debating Reaktor or M4L. What is really swaying me towards this Reaktor deal is to get M4L I'd need to upgrade to Live 8. So there is that cost to factor in too.

There is nothing in Live 8 itself that I personally need/want, and Live 7 is working brilliantly and is stable on my laptop. Why rock the boat?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:25 am

I have to say... am rocking Reaktor for the last couple of days... !!!
it adds so much flavor to the palette...
there are some really inspiring 'ensembles' out there...
I used to own Komplete3.... which was 'bout 5 years ago...
alls I can say is ...computers have become much faster since then..
live set with 11 instances of reaktor (instruments/fx) = 17% CPU...
:twisted:

IP

Post by IP » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am

im having some demos right now with both m4l and reaktor!
*using live 8 demo as im still to 7!

1. i think reaktor is more straight forward and easier to learn

2. if i finally choose m4l i need to update to live8 i guess so this is like buying 4+ reaktors

3.with m4l im married with live. If i change my mind for using live in the future ill need to buy the normal max version. If till then m4l will have a new version i may sell it for the 1/3 of the price (maximum).

4. reaktor library is xxx times bigger than m4l

On the other hand with m4l i can go deeep into live itself and i guess it uses fewer resources than reaktor.

also reaktor 6 is on the way

anyway is hard to decide
i want both but I DONT need both :lol:

its hard to decide

maybe to go reaktor and wait for a m4l runtime IF IF IF it will even see the light :/

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:59 am

8O wrote:Was it really £60 in UK? That's only €66 at today's rates and I've just paid €99 before looking here... :roll: :? :lol:
Err... yeah... I'm wondering this too. I could justify £60.00 this month, but £90.00 is stretching it so close to Christmas.

EDIT: it would definately be €99 in the UK, so I am probably going to have to pass :( As i think someone else said, I'm always skint when these deals come along!

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:04 am

i bought reaktor.
that 6 is coming out next year didn,t change that. probleby much more expensive than 99 euro.
Also you can upgrade if you really like reaktor.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 pm

99 for reaktor is a no brainer!

i bought it the same day i got live and i couln't be happier with it

today is the last day of the offer so stop thinking about it if you have the money...

i will be getting max4live, though

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 pm

I also bought Reaktor for EUR 99,-. There should even be an upgrade path to Komplete from this.
Ever increasing possibilities then...
I'm not too keen on Max4Live, so I won't buy it. But that's merely my personal opinion.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 pm

+1 @Angstrom.

also: such a brilliant buisiness strategy from NI, stealing the potentional M4L customers with the fattest discount known to man.
im shit broke right now, but if i wasnt, Reaktor would be a no-brainer.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Angstrom wrote: .... M4L would let me access the API, play some pluggos, roll my own fractalised bingbong device . But I recently realised that if I let myself be carried away on that stream of "I can program anything I want to" then all too soon I would be enrolling on a software engineering course rather than making music. And that's no idle lip flapping, because I have done this before. One of my major flaws is starting too many projects and finishing none. EG: I can see that M4L appeals to my procrastination lobe, the one that made me learn Generator, Reaktor Javascript, PHP, SQL, C++, Processing , Synthedit, Synthmaker, etc. The one that made me start to write my own content management system, my own shopping cart, my own blogging software.

That is the bad lobe....
That could be a quote from my autobiography. But I'll never get around to writing it because first I would have to create some new mind mapping software based on that idea I've got kicking around. I recently set out to write a system to monitor the availability of various internet services and ended up deciding I needed to create my own rule based expert system to drive it. The list goes on......, and on.......

Not sure that I have the will power to resist M4L though, it's such a good toy.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:18 pm

I got reactor last night, I thought i would have to miss out on the deal,

Its a very nice box of tricks indeed, the ready built instruments and presets are easily worth the money.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:57 pm

for all you new reaktorheads. Download the beatlookup effect by chris list.
Also the rest off the moldover stuff is great. Very nice to put in your masterchannel. http://www.controllerism.com/